The diversity in civ choices is poor

It makes them less in the shaping of the world. It’s like if it was a football game and you played San Marino instead of some england top team

What medieval european invaders?

Using her for someones own selfish political propaganda is cultural apropriation. And not the good kind

Define “selfish” for me. How is it selfish for a feminist to admire Joan of arc? Unless you have certain prejudice against feminists it shouldn’t matter to you. The history is in the books, that won’t change. What people view Joan of arc as is beyond what you or I have control over. People will build their own narratives and opinions about her.
As is the case with any historical figure.

I have just explained to you Joan of arc is incredibly important to france itself. There isn’t some country claiming she comes from somewhere else or is more important in their country. But neither does France “own” her. People are free to see themselves or their ideals in characters of history.

Nobody is sacred, every historical figure is fair game for people to identify with or have opinions about.

4 Likes

The Spanish, for example. They reached America in the late 1400s. By 1525 the Aztecs were already conquered.

According to the official AoE website, the timeframe of the game goes as far as 1644 with the Chinese, so the invasion of America fits perfectly.

1 Like

The best campain of aoe2

1 Like

You may prefer a game about the English championship. I think a game with teams from all around the world would be much more interesting. I don’t know much about football, so this is the farthest I will go with this comparison.

Also, note that having been conquered by Europeans doesn’t erase entire cultures from history, or diminishes their relevance.

I live in South America, so I can speak for the influence of the native people in our continent’s culture. It means much more for me than whatever the French or the Rus may have done in their history.

I’m sure people from Africa, Oceania, Asia etc. can say the same about their respective ancestors.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s crazy. They probably did it so Chinese can match technology of another nations.

In AoE3DE we have seen a lot more civs, with way more diversity than AoE4 that are absolutely balanced. And in AoE3DE there are parameters like the home town shipments, the way more quick gameplay etc that could break the balance very easily. But still all civs are very balanced.

PS: Don’t tell me about the African civs that are stronger than the others. This is the last dlc. They will be balanced soon as every other civ before.

1 Like

Was very balance because right now african civ just rect 100% of the ladder :smiley:

Yea that’s true, the African civs are currently broken.
But at least the new civs of AOE 2 DE are more balanced 11

Sweden and Japan have a word to you

Well but it’s better that slowly they add some good civs which all are important. How many civs do we play on AoE2 even in amateur tournaments?

I know, I said it in PS. I don’t speak about African civs, but the problem with this is that they are new civs. They will also balanced soon like the others. The much more diversity, the hometown shipments, the quicker gameplay than AoE2 and AoE4, have this effect. For the first 1-2 months, there might be some balance issues that will be fixed soon.

I don’t think that japan are overpower. Yes they are one of the strong civs in the game, but for sure not overpower. As from the Sweden, they have been nerfed the last month a lot. From the other hand the win rate of France in AoE2 is still big, although there is not big diversity in AoE2. So yes, some civs might be stronger than others. The important is the gap not be very big. And in exception with the african civs which will be balanced soon, there are not overpower civs in AoE3. Still the stronger player wins.

I am disappointed in the exclusion of African and Native American civilizations from the base game, but I think it is very unlikely that they won’t add either of those in future DLC. So I am not losing too much sleep over it either.

It’s just the end-date of Ming.
The civ in the game depicts Ming as it was in the 14th century. They lack muskets, they lack cannons, they lack basically anything that would put them even into 15th century, let alone 17th. :sweat_smile:

Emma said that Jeanne is a Feminist icon , not was . This whole thing was argued about in another forum

Normandy and France.
Also Burgundy. And hey it’s just 1 war. The only time English even set foot on the European mainland.
During that time the French were also involved in wars with the Holy Roman Empire for example.

It’s hard to argue which war was how important.
If you hear about the 100 years war or Joan of Arc a lot in history class and media than you might think it’s important.
But than again, in our German history education we didn’t cover that at all and there aren’t movies or books written about it even though France is our neighbouring country. I learned about it though AoE2.

I didn’t say civilisations should just be chosen because of their importance.
They should also show some diversity.
England and the HRE are directly neighbouring France.
I think that’s a little much on one space when you only have 8 civilisations. One would have been enough.
So if choosing one Western European civilisation I would definitely not have chosen the English.

I would have said France but apparently the HRE is the most popular civilisation in the game atm.

[poll] What’s your favourite Civilisation so far?

[poll] What’s your LEAST favorite Civilization so far?

Ironically England is on the last place.

As interesting as Meso, African and Asian civs are most people when thinking of medieval times think of west European castles and their recognisable knights in shining armour. For a selling point of view a better choice than ‘some’ nation they never heard. Who they believe just build castles out of mud, wear fur for clothing or fight small skirmishes in the jungle. I think it’s fine they went with the 8 civs we have now. It will peak interest and later on they can expand on more regions when people are hooked.

2 Likes

I know that Germany has a very complex history of its own, but wow, I’m not from France either (and also not from a neighbouring country to France), but I’ve heard about the 100 years war and Joan of Arc from history class. So maybe that just makes your history classes look bad lol

To be fair while I can’t talk about every history lessons in school for me at least while I learned a bit in school, I learned the most by browsing the internet and watching documentaries on YouTube so it’s also about being interested to find more information then you quickly come across famous history.

I feel like you’re trying really hard to minimise England’s involvement. But England and France are the two main belligerents here. Burgundy is also important to the conflict yes. But only so much as its allegiance to either of the opponents switches throughout the conflict. But it sounds like you’d be against Burgundy being added anyway as it is another European state.

This pretty much. I’m not european, Im middle eastern and being interested in history had lead me to learning about the 100 years war. As well as the history of many countries. The conflict is important as it solidified the identities of both France and England, putting them on the path to the states they are now. You would find a similar interest in history circles about the creation of Germany and german identity. You don’t have to be from the region to learn these things.

There are many reasons as to why it got voted in this way. You must also understand this isn’t rating historical significance or interest. It is rating how much people like it in its current form in the game. The way england is portrayed with its units etc is nice but I feel they haven’t made them distinct enough. I see this more as an opinion of in game assets and design.

And on one poll they do as badly as 2 of my favourite civs.

1 Like