The History of Age of Empires - Age of Empires

The History of Age of Empires - Age of Empires

You might already know this, but Age of Empires has been around for a long time. Just about 20 years to be precise. In those 20 years a lot has happened; several games, more AoE dedicated forums than we can count, millions of fans, and tons of hours played! Now as we come up to … Continued

Read the full story here

It hasn’t Age of Empires Online. I was the best.

But what exactly happened to ensemble studios?

@zioxe said:
But what exactly happened to ensemble studios?

It disbanded in 2009, possibly due to economic crisis and internal MS cuts.

Conquerors Expansion for AOE2 released on this day in 2000. I remember I had JUST gotten my driver’s license and drove to Walmart immediately after school to buy it.

Thanks Jennifer Godwin

Great video! They made something just like this around 2002, but it wasn’t as long and in-depth.

For those who want to step back 15 years:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2644

@sonictimm , there are also cool videos of such a kind available on YouTube for Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 3 – be sure to check them all out!

Age of Mythology

Age of Empires 3

The best franchise ever!
I have not spent as many hours in other games as in this one.

Anybody know if people from ensemble studios are working on the new games aswell? As in they switched companies and are now still working on it because of that?

@Sabernova said:
Anybody know if people from ensemble studios are working on the new games aswell? As in they switched companies and are now still working on it because of that?

There are a few at Forgotten Empires, making the Definitive Editions.

Other than that, most of them found jobs at other Dallas-based game developers such as Robot, PeopleFun, and BonusXP.