The History of AoE1's Era

Since AoE is a history game, I imagine there is some number of history buffs on the forum. What history books or sites or podcasts can you guys recommend for someone who wants to learn about the Greeks, Romans, Palmyrans, and all the other Civs?

I’ll start with one I’ve been enjoying - The Fall of Rome. The host does a good job of explaining Rome in its twilight years as well as how it interacted on a day-to-day basis with the rest of the world.

I was thinking about it during this last days. Would it be great if developers had made some cgi movies of history civs and explained further more of how battles were taken.

Well Wikipedia has come a loooong way sinceits foundation. I admit I consult it frequently. If I need even deeper knowledge I consult the sources cited therein.

Start basics with an encyclopedia then with Wikipedia. And videos in YouTube. Then buy books.

If you are an ancient history nerd and haven’t yet done the History of Rome podcast, you are in for a treat. It’s long and worth it.

If you are a history nerd and a language need, the first 25 or so episodes of the History of the English Language covers the Mediterranean pretty well through those ancient eras.