The main difference between classic and definitive mode

I’ve read a lot of comments regarding the “improvements” that the definitive edition should bring to the table. Some people are in favour of adding gates, the ability of garrisoning units, automated farms,etc…
Other people are against all (or parts) of the supposed improvements, which are, for the most part, features of the good old AoE II. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the different poits of view: while personally I am in favour of adding all of the previous features to the new Definitive edition, they would break the gameplay balance in the multiplayer aspect of the game and alienate a lot of the old veterans.
That is why i think there is a possible solution: the team should try to add these little features only to the Definitive Edition, and keep the Classic mode just as it is ( maybe incorporating the Upatch balance ). This way everyone should be satisfied: fans of the old balance would keep to play online without altering the gameplay style ( and thus the competitive scene ), while the “modernizers” would get their improvements to a game that honestly shows its age in certain aspects.

Ps: I know that the Team has already announced there will be “no changes to the original gameplay”, but WE are the community so I think the debate should still be open.

Agree but some people want new skin and old gameplay. That mean 3 options :

• old aoe1
  • old aoe1 new skin
  • aoe1 total remasterized

Personally I dont want anything to change, i’ll happily pay for the original game just with new added support and with the possibility of future DLC.

however, any changes can be easily made to fit all player types.

@Amphiprion said:

• old aoe1
  • old aoe1 new skin

Instead of having a “set” option, they could just create a new “Settings / Options” menu with a checklist.
This way you could select to your preference. E.g. old graphics, new audio.

Personally i want a lot of change ^^.

@Amphiprion said:
Personally i want a lot of change ^^.

In respect to your comment then what you want is a new AoE and not AoE: DE

I guess we are the old fans of AOE serries, but there will be so many new players which wouldn’t play the old style as it is not as good as modern Games of this Era. Don’t get me wrong AOE was/is awesome but for 2000s not for 2020. So I agree with options of old and new styles/skins. New campaigns, and a lot more…

@Amphiprion said:

• old aoe1
  • old aoe1 new skin

That would be the ideal solution, but we all know it’s not going to happen unfortunately.

But to the players who want the DE to be the same as the old game,just with new graphics i ask have to ask a question. Are 4k skins really necessary to you? I mean if you liked the original experience,i don’t understand why you shouldn’t be happy with the original game just with widescreen resolution and new online servers.
I think the majority of us are old school gamers who care little about graphics and more about actual gameplay: the wisest choice would be to leave the original as it is and improve on the DE mechanics.

@Totalste said:
That is why i think there is a possible solution: the team should try to add these little features only to the Definitive Edition, and keep the Classic mode just as it is ( maybe incorporating the Upatch balance ). This way everyone should be satisfied

Nooo. That will only split the community and hurt the mp longlivety of this game. “Options” is the death of any multiplayer game. You need to provide one platform with one set of ruels that all players play on. DE vs Classic mode should be visual differences only and both should share the same mp.

@GepardenKalle I don’t think that old-style Aoe multiplayer community is going to grow; as for all old game communities it’s already fairly large and established and new players would not join because of some obsolete mechanics.

@Totalste said:
@GepardenKalle I don’t think that old-style Aoe multiplayer community is going to grow; as for all old game communities it’s already fairly large and established and new players would not join because of some obsolete mechanics.

Then change classic mode too. Whatever modes this DE includes they should all be able to play in mp together. If you split the community between modes multiplayer will die.

Nooo. That will only split the community and hurt the mp longlivety of this game.

Lol, our debat reflect that the community is already split., if aoe-de is like aoe1 with new skin, i don’t buy the game. I like aoe serie but i am more rational than fanatic, if i don’t like the gamplay i don’t play ^^.