The next DLC should be about maritime powers

Since DE Tatars represent Timurids. The Timurids were mostly Persian

I dont want Kurds either way

Nah. I think the Habsburgs were the one that did that

1 Like

Turks conquered Southeast Europe so Europe was not saved, but Central and West Europe were saved by the Poles and Austrians in Vienna.

Crusaders sacked it, including Venetians. The Byzantine Empire was very weak at that point anyways.

1 Like

As far as the territories go, yeah you’re right. But they (the Dutch Provinces) weren’t independent, which was what I was referencing.

Yes, I know. Funnily enough, I’m not either of those, but the Burgundians have actually become my favorite civ in the game. For whatever reason, I like how they play. I’m quite happy with them in both relevancy and concept as well.

I wouldn’t say we’re not unless there is a confirmed hard cap on civs. But if there is, then yes. And personally, that would be ok with me.

I disagree. Burgundy is a special case. Yes, it eventually became a subordinate of France or the HRE, often flipping between the two and sharing cultural similarities with the French in their later years. But a lot of people forget the time where Burgundy was actually its own self-contained realm despite that, its own unique ethnic group throughout the Middle Ages, and how influential they were during that time because of their modern representation. They affected politics in both France and the HRE, held significant sway with the Pope, and centralized European chivalric culture squarely inside their lands. I’d say they were pretty damn relevant on the regional stage, above the level of Croatia, or Savoy, or Serbia. They’re fine.

There’s no need for that
 I personally only would call for Venice and Serbia, to round out the region and call it done. There isn’t much more to add beyond this, and most of it would be too irrelevant to add.

4 Likes

In AOE1, Palmyra. And Venice is not like the other Italian states
 Different origins, different language, different culture, different influences. And, most importantly, wasn’t subordinate to outside empires after they gained independence, unlike the rest of the Italian city-states.

Because they were all either part of or really closely influenced by the Burgundian state. Yes, that’s what I was saying as well.

Or did you mean the Burgundians themselves were not independent in that time?

No, I meant the Dutch Provinces, not Burgundians. My bad, I didn’t clarify.

1 Like

poles and austrians never fought turks

What?

Now if you mean that they didn’t in the medieval period, then also no. (At least, for the Polish)

4 Likes

Turks are Ottomans, and Poles fought Turks thruout many years and wars. For example, polish King WƂadysƂaw died in battle against Turks in 1444 year, near Varna, today in Bulgaria.

3 Likes

ah i thought was just arabs

1 Like

The Italians could be reworked if this DLC comes into being. Basically, new units/techs and the Galleass ship unit.

1 Like

Since Italians represent Venice and Genoa, if Venice is made into another civilizations, then the Italians should be renamed to Genoese. Just like the Indians/Hindustanis. The fact they their Unique Unit is the Genoese Crossbowman fits perfectly.

North American Natives do fit in the timeframe. They do. What is the reason to say that they don’t? Because you’re thinking in Eurocentric terms. North American Natives don’t fit in the game because europeans didn’t come into contact with them until after the Middle Ages. But those people actually existed in the timespan, regardless of how much others knew about their existence. It’s countries founded after the Middle Ages that wouldn’t fit, like a civilization called the Americans.

Case in point: we could say that the Inca also are out of place because the Spanish got to them way after the Medieval time ended. But there they are.

And since the DLC about the Indians was codenamed “Porto”, a maritime DLC should be codenamed “Buddha”.

The North Americans of this time didn’t got into contact with central america, so even in non eurocentric term they are hard to justify. Then there is the fact not that much is known about them, what would be their campaign? Or their UU and UT? etc

3 Likes

Possibly? I still think Italians would work fine post-split. The Genoans would often hire out their forces to other city-states too, so it really doesn’t matter as much as you’d think.

Incans kept extensive records about their empire and history. North American Natives didn’t. There is a lot less information about the Native American cultures to go off of than there was the Incans.

Pretty sure they’re going to keep calling them cities, to keep with the theme so far. It’s just that it will be a random name this time, instead of anything to do with the DLC. So, probably something like Wein, or Beijing, or York, or Tabriz, or

2 Likes

it’s a mod that focus on late medieval europe adding new civs and reworking the previous ones, here the link:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-chivalry-hegemony

1 Like

what about “Genoa”? it would be a cool codename to cover venetian civ while getting a clue.

1 Like

AoE2 DLC names use cities that start with P. Maybe Parma could work, although in general I dont think we meed an Italy DLC

3 Likes

How would the devs focus of maritime?

You can’t really make water dependent bonuses for civs if they get land maps, then what happens?

I’ve already seen it earlier but thank you for the handy link!

Yeah, it would, but the devs themselves have said already that the names won’t really be clues anymore
 Eh, we’ll see I suppose.

I’ve never noticed that
 Guess I haven’t been paying attention enough.

Not for a bit, anyway. I’d give it 1-2 more DLCs before we get back to Europe personally.

I really don’t care about the geographic location or history but please don’t recommend water civs. Water games are extremely one dimensional and boring.