The two major AI problems

@MannedLeopard58 said:

@Promiskuitiv said:
We’re working on fixing the rushes on lower difficulty levels (in some missions it affected higher difficulty levels as well), we’re also looking at the AI gatherer problem where they try to gather from dangerous and far-away places.

So it means that we should expect a patch for this AI weird behavior on the next week? Or the last one (released two days ago) already fixed this problem?

It seems that both of these issues are fixed in the current version of the game.

Hi guys,

I’ve been working for many days on the AI issues. I have fixed a lot of them and will make a post about them just as soon as I’m able to begin a new topic. The AI in random maps and campaigns is seriously not up to scratch, even without needing to change the game’s code at all.

@Promiskuitiv Since the last patch the AI is much better :slight_smile: Good work on fixing the suicide villager/storage pits almost (just some allies are in rare cases annoying) :smiley:
I tested a few missions and in some the AI still rushes or make weird scouting actions.
e.g.: For me in the second hittite mission the AI still rushes extremly hard on EVERY difficulty, so even on hard it is very unfair. In the egypt mission religion and the first babylonian mission the AI behaves very strange in terms of scouting. It sends in both missions all military units in an aggressive scouting stance from the beginning on. They don’t attack and so it is no problem, but an extrem immersion break, because in both mission you see, that the AI could kill you immediately, if it wants. That was not the case in the original. But in many missions there are at least good improvements :slight_smile:

@OverUSedChewToy Feel free to tag me or leave me a message about it so I can look at it :smile:

@“Decius Flavius” Thank you, that’s good to hear. I’ll take a look at the issues you reported!

Hi Promi, great work on the latest patch Random Map AI. It’s much stronger. How do I send a PM to you or somesuch? I have a google doc of some of my insights I can link, maybe something in it will be of interest.

Edit: Nevermind I found it. I’ll send the link to you there!

@OverUSedChewToy Could you please put a link also here? I am very interested on your results :smile:

@Promiskuitiv Thank you! :smile: It seems that the PER-files in certain campaign missions are wrong/bugging or missing. (not sure, if I’m correct on that)
I tested another few missions, where the AI still places buildings, especially storage pits, very forward and the storage pits in an too huge amount, but the villagers are mostly kept and working in a save position :smile: The missions are the first carthaginian campaign mission (Battle of Agrigentum) and the third of Imperium Romanum (Ktesiphon). It’s not the biggest issue, but the missions feel a bit buggy and less immersive because of that.

@Promiskuitiv said:
@OverUSedChewToy Feel free to tag me or leave me a message about it so I can look at it :smile:

@“Decius Flavius” Thank you, that’s good to hear. I’ll take a look at the issues you reported!

When you choose a campagin and you get your instructions and so on, there is a map under the instructions, can you make it bigger? Or add a zoom to it?

Yeah… The AI attack me for once. Then they stay at home, do nothing.

I noticed improved villager behavior immediately after the last patch. Yay! Some pathfinding stuff is still wonky and villagers are occasionally going WAY out of their way to get to nearby resources, but these are easily re-directed if I’m paying attention.

The AI enemy military behavior is still royally effed on the campaigns, at least at the lower difficulty levels. I’m a veteran player, but I like to play through the Easy (Easiest) levels first, and it’s almost impossible in many of the campaign missions. It took me ages to beat the first Babylonian campaign on Easy and it wasn’t any fun at all.

@Promiskuitiv do you guys have any more plans to fix/tweak villager and military AI behavior?

@gunn3ryuna said:
I noticed improved villager behavior immediately after the last patch. Yay! Some pathfinding stuff is still wonky and villagers are occasionally going WAY out of their way to get to nearby resources, but these are easily re-directed if I’m paying attention.

The AI enemy military behavior is still royally effed on the campaigns, at least at the lower difficulty levels. I’m a veteran player, but I like to play through the Easy (Easiest) levels first, and it’s almost impossible in many of the campaign missions. It took me ages to beat the first Babylonian campaign on Easy and it wasn’t any fun at all.

@Promiskuitiv do you guys have any more plans to fix/tweak villager and military AI behavior?

I played the first Babylonian misson on medium and whent east to convert yellow. Red did attack me with some units and send off its villagers on suicad runs. Then i reached bronze age and made some broad swordsman and attacked. I was suprised that red was still in the stone age…

@FarkasMan87 yeah I guess that’s what I mean about the lower difficulty levels’ AI. On Holy Man (Babylonians I), I was on Easy, and it was a NONSTOP onslaught of chariots from the west side of the map. By the time was able to keep enough units alive to move over there and start attacking, all of the scarcer resources were gone, they were sending dozens of villagers over to the other side of the map for wood, and they had like a million stables cranking out chariots constantly to send them after my guys. It was really awful and not a good time at all. I prefer a slower, easier, resource-gathering spree for my first runthrough on these games and it’s always been possible and fun on prior iterations. On Holy Man and several other campaign missions in AoE:DE, that is just not an option. @Promiskuitiv Is there anything forthcoming to address this?

@gunn3ryuna When did you play that mission? The last AI update should improve that behavior, but we’re definitely still keeping an eye on it to see if we can make further improvements. :smile:

AI path finding is the key.

The holy man mission seemed impossible, up until that mission I was able to win most of the time during the greek campaign on hardest, with a few exceptions. (so, harder AI would’ve been better).

However no matter what I did it seemed the AI was was ahead of me economy-wise, with ridiculous chariot spam eventually. The way I was finally able to win (took almost four hours) was to wall up the crossing ASAP and use scout ships to block and keep the enemies from crossing, and eventually tower it up so there was no way the enemy could cross over to my lands. Even though he should have been starved out for resources, somehow he seemed to have plenty of gold and wood, it seemed like he must have been cheating. The only way I was able to get gold was to build a bunch of merchant ships and trade with yellow (who I wiped out but left him with a single dock so I could trade). And I had to drop the difficulty down to moderate from hardest. Can anyone confirm that the AI actually cheats? There was no way he could have had any gold, yet he had plenty of priests, lol.

AI is too passive in custom games when playing 4v4 giant maps

AI
-does not reseed their farms
-does not produce villagers
-does not train soldiers
-does not collect resources

I read that dev team fixed it with the patches in the past (above int he forum) but it seems there is no progress at all.

I bought the game today (23/12/2018) and Game Build 14215 it says.

Thank you

1 Like

There are different AIs in the game. Some of them are highly aggresive, and others build their base and seem mostly defensive (with towers).

They tend to work far from their base and don’t even build a storage pit/town center/granary near the resources they’re gathering.

Yeah. The actual problem is to identify the issues, since there are many types of AIs in the game. Some issues are shared/generalized, but others are of their own civilizations.

I can bare the AI being imperfect, but any attempt at making it better would be really appreciated by people like us.

I’m being obliterated by the AI, and yeah, I’m not a pro, but I really feel like it’s really really hard to win against the campaign AI in some scenarios.

1 Like