The two major AI problems

1. Sometimes they don’t perform. I’ve had games on easy when the AI works fine, builds up, advances through the ages and sends decent armies against you. Then I play a game at medium difficulty and none of the 7 other AI’s create any military units. I have a medium difficulty game going right now, around 45 minutes in, It’s 4 teams of two. The AI’s made barely any units at all. The yellow player sent 3 slingers to attack me at around 30 minutes into the game, and purple attacked me with 2 camels… and that’s it. My ally, who is right next door to me, has been in the tool age since around 5 minutes in to the game. He has 4 villagers and no military units… and that’s it. He hasn’t been attacked once in the whole game and there’s nothing stopping him from creating more villagers and a military, he’s just not doing it.

2. No matter the difficulty, the AI is doing some weird stuff with its villagers. They’re sending them all the way to the other side of the map to hunt a deer when there are deer right near their town center. They’re doing the same thing with wood and gold/stone… sending all their villagers to mine gold next door to one of my sentry towers in my land instead of mining their own stone/gold that’s right near their base.

Bad AI’s kinda ruining skirmish mode. It needs to be fixed urgently, even before the bad pathfinding (I got used to the bad pathfinding after like 10 hours). Just posting this incase any devs read this forum.

1 Like

The campaigns are weird too, sometimes it just seems like the AI will rush all it’s starting units right at you, other times it’s passive like you described. Definitely something fishy going on.

Yeah the campaigns are all kinds of screwed. On the Greece campaign, on the first mission, the AI is great. Maybe even too great. Even at easy difficulty it’s hitting you you 5 or 6 axemen every couple of minutes whilst you struggle like ■■■■ to recruit clubmen, villagers AND advance to the tool age.

On mission 2 of the Greece campaign the AI is extremely aggressive, hitting you with 5-10 scouts every few minutes, then 5-10 axemen every few minutes… but after surviving maybe 4 or 5 waves of these attacks, the AI goes 100% dead and doesn’t recruit a single military unit for the rest of the mission.

I just began a new skirmish (8 player, giant map, 4 teams of two) on moderate difficulty and the green player from the other side of the map came in to my base with lots of villagers, built a storage dump, and began mining my gold. And I’m talking about 10 minutes into the game here, when this AI civ would have had 2 separate gold deposits in his own area, he chose to come into mine (and promptly lost all of his villagers).

This has to be fixed soon man, skirmish mode is pretty much the only reason I bought this game - it’s 90% of what I play in any AoE game.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re gonna have to take a look at AI for sure. I bought this mainly for nostalgia(was 13 when the original came out) and wanted to replay the campaign missions… but looks like I have to wait a bit for that.

I’m waiting too. I think I was 11 or 12 when I first played it, which would’ve been around 1999-2000. Was one of the first games I had on my first ever PC (the other game was Aliens Vs. Predator 2).

I don’t wanna do the campaigns until the AI gets some updates.

I think the campaign AI is mostly fine. It’s very dumb, of course, but some of the harder missions could become overwhelming if the AI was much more capable. I haven’t played all the campaigns yet, but so far the AI seems to behave quite similarly to how it worked in the original.

That being said, I do think they are a bit too forward with their villagers. That was the case in the original as well, so it’s not a problem for the AI to do that in the campaigns, but the problem seems to be even worse that it was in the original and should definitely be fixed in the random map scenarios.

i just tested two games with Hard A.I.

1-Map: Inland

Me: Macedonia
A.I: Assyrian

in tool age, around 8 minutes mark, A.I. villagers came and share my deer hunt. I attacked and killed those villagers to protect my food source, then i just had this idea to push forward with killings, changing my tactics of economy booming to barracks rushes. my army killed a lot of additional villagers, tho it wasnt immedieate finish: they build up towers and whatnot to prevent reinforcements. still tho, they got crushed. fairly easy match.

2-Map: Highland

Me: Macedonia
A.I: Roman

no wierd villager approach this time, everything went normal. we traded blows, armies, lots of bloodshed. they even managed to pull of bronze age earlier meanwhile we both pumping army, it was challenging. they managed to raid my villagers a couple of times with lots of roman light infintary until i finally overcomed them with my macedonian hoplites. fun game, A.I. played satisfying.

My conclusion: A.I. performs bad or good depending on map and nation.

-A.I. unit composition is better with infantry civilizations.
-Maps with river confuses A.I. villagers, causing them to wander far away a lot.

I think you might be right Cleglaw. I had been suspicious of this from day 1 (see previous posts on the AI where I’ve recommended people play on maps with 0% water).

The game where my ally was still stuck in the tool age after 45 minutes with only 4 villagers and no military units was when I tried the rivers map.

My experience with the campaign AI is that it’s just completely broken.

The difficulty spikes are grotesque. Babylonian campaign with islands is a walk in the park, no challenge whatsoever on very hard. AI doesn’t send any transport ships.

Land maps are often times almost impossible at the beginning, when the AI swarms you with streams of units. Once that stops after a few minutes, challenge is also gone because the AI can’t play and kills all its villagers by walking into the player base.

At 30 minutes in The Birth Of Rome, some players have no vills, the most working are 1-3. No military units being trained any more.

Next mission, Pyrrhus, broken. Ships try to sail into the island, transports can’t land. They only attack after a while.

The whole Birth of Rome campaign is in fact broken by the AI. They send one attack force at the beginning, then all their villagers are dead by walking into the player base and they just don’t do anything anymore. They’re not gathering ressources, they’re not training military or attacking.
I made a one on one comparison with the original version and their the AI isn’t great either, but it works, it uses its own base for ressources and attacks regularly.

Please, if the developers are interested in fixing this, I have savegames with the broken AI states. This is unacceptable, I’m thinking about requesting a refund because campaigns are mostly unplayable. The original game was working so much better, which is ridiculous if you want to sell a new version 20 years later!

@Lurtzae said:

The difficulty spikes are grotesque. Babylonian campaign with islands is a walk in the park, no challenge whatsoever on very hard. AI doesn’t send any transport ships.

Land maps are often times almost impossible at the beginning, when the AI swarms you with streams of units. Once that stops after a few minutes, challenge is also gone because the AI can’t play and kills all its villagers by walking into the player base.

At 30 minutes in The Birth Of Rome, some players have no vills, the most working are 1-3. No military units being trained any more.

Next mission, Pyrrhus, broken. Ships try to sail into the island, transports can’t land. They only attack after a while.

The whole Birth of Rome campaign is in fact broken by the AI. They send one attack force at the beginning, then all their villagers are dead by walking into the player base and they just don’t do anything anymore. They’re not gathering ressources, they’re not training military or attacking.

I made a one on one comparison with the original version and their the AI isn’t great either, but it works, it uses its own base for ressources and attacks regularly.

Please, if the developers are interested in fixing this, I have savegames with the broken AI states. This is unacceptable, I’m thinking about requesting a refund because campaigns are mostly unplayable. The original game was working so much better, which is ridiculous if you want to sell a new version 20 years later!

Same goes for my favorite mission: Battle of Tunes from the Punic War campaign. The yellow ( island ) AI is only attacking all the time with ships and units as in the demo, but the red ( Regulus and main ) AI is simply standing and doing nothing. I tried all difficulties in order to test it and nothing happened. Then, I used cheats in order to give them more resources and suddenly they developed but played defensive strategy. I remember that in the original demo, the red AI used from the start to send waves of broad swordsmen, improved bowmen and cavalry to attack your city ( base ). I was very disappointed about this and also from most of the campaign scenarios. Looking forward to see an improvement on this as well as fixing the broken unit animations ( Armored Elephants ) are one of them and the pathfinding that was “loudly” presented in the intro before the release.

@Lurtzae said:

Exactly my experience. I started the campaigns for the nostalgia and gave up somewhere in The Birth of Rome because of the AI.

Any map or mission with a water crossing, which is quite a lot, just count out any form of challenge. They will build a storage pit or granary on their resources and then send all their villagers across the map, to the other side of the river, and start gathering there. This often explains why they suicide everything because they are trying to long-distance gather your berries and straggler trees… Holy Man is a good example, where red will gather from yellow’s base and yellow from red. Also red’s villagers eventually bug out somewhere along the river, making the mission a huge nostalgia killer and ridiculously easy.

Moreover, the only missions that have been challenging or fun have been those where the AI completely overwhelms you at the start (I am also certain that that isn’t supposed to happen). Yet after the first 5 minutes or so they stop attacking all together and suddenly I am left playing by myself. A good example, as mentioned in the first mission in the Birth of Rome. After defending from the first huge wave, there was nothing. I scouted the map and activated cheats and there wasn’t a single AI solider or villager on the map, just depressing AI ghost towns.

The original AI was very simple and basic but at least it functioned. It knew how to gather resources, build up a base/army and attack. The DE AI can’t do any of these, at least on a consistent basis.

We’re working on fixing the rushes on lower difficulty levels (in some missions it affected higher difficulty levels as well), we’re also looking at the AI gatherer problem where they try to gather from dangerous and far-away places.

@Promiskuitiv said:
We’re working on fixing the rushes on lower difficulty levels (in some missions it affected higher difficulty levels as well), we’re also looking at the AI gatherer problem where they try to gather from dangerous and far-away places.

Good Good. Will this be realesed next week?

I’m boring. I only play custom games against an AI player and this game is very poor. I have it set to hard setting and its almost like playing an easy AI player on every other game. My last game I was attacked by a few troops early on and was never attacked again. Almost 40 minutes into the game the AI player just gave up and the game ended. MS delayed the launch of this game for two months and then it was finally launched it really is poor game play. Just read the reviews in the store. I fear MS will give up (like they are so famous for) and never release another AOE game in the series.

@etphoto said:
I’m boring. I only play custom games against an AI player and this game is very poor. I have it set to hard setting and its almost like playing an easy AI player on every other game. My last game I was attacked by a few troops early on and was never attacked again. Almost 40 minutes into the game the AI player just gave up and the game ended. MS delayed the launch of this game for two months and then it was finally launched it really is poor game play. Just read the reviews in the store. I fear MS will give up (like they are so famous for) and never release another AOE game in the series.

I made a thread on how to get the best out of the AI, it does help quite a bit if you stick to these rules: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/15578/how-to-get-the-best-out-of-the-ai-in-custom-game#latest

Also I tried to view the reviews for the game but the Microsoft store is so incomprehensibly poorly designed I can’t find them.

This could be due to low amount of resources on the map

@Zekan said:

Nah, my neighbours are sending villagers to mine the stone in my starting area 15 minutes after starting a new game - they haven’t touched the stone in their own starting area at all. They’re also chopping my wood when they haven’t started to chop their own.

I’ve built a couple of sentry towers on my stone and once again the enemy civs are losing villager after villager trying to mine it instead of just mining their own.

It’s not a lack of resources doing this, it’s bugged AI behaviour. The AI should decide it needs a resource (wood, gold, whatever) and then collect the ones closest to its town centre. Instead it’s deciding that it needs a certain resource and then gathering it from a totally random place on the map.

@SvelterPenny568 said:

@Zekan said:

Nah, my neighbours are sending villagers to mine the stone in my starting area 15 minutes after starting a new game - they haven’t touched the stone in their own starting area at all. They’re also chopping my wood when they haven’t started to chop their own.

I’ve built a couple of sentry towers on my stone and once again the enemy civs are losing villager after villager trying to mine it instead of just mining their own.

It’s not a lack of resources doing this, it’s bugged AI behaviour. The AI should decide it needs a resource (wood, gold, whatever) and then collect the ones closest to its town centre. Instead it’s deciding that it needs a certain resource and then gathering it from a totally random place on the map.

Agree. My AI enemy has villagers come close to my area to gather resources making them easy to kill since they are unprotected. My AI enemy spends all its resources creating new villagers (that are killed like the others) giving me time to gain advances, making it easier to kill my AI enemy. lol I’ve basically given up on this game and went back to Steam. If updates come out I’ll replay to see if any improvements are made, but as I said in other threads, this game is pretty bad (again, playin custom games only).

@Promiskuitiv said:
We’re working on fixing the rushes on lower difficulty levels

Please, it is really needed. So many weird behaviours on the campaigns.

@Promiskuitiv said:

So it means that we should expect a patch for this AI weird behavior on the next week? Or the last one (released two days ago) already fixed this problem?