The ZOOM still sucks big time. Epic fail on that aspect, Relic. Shame. This is 2021

But as i already wrote - if you saw digitalfoundry video - it’s not about their systems, it’s about game engine and optimistation of the game, none systems would handle the game if they would add option to zoom further away or you would just have low fps.

The thing about a larger zoom range is it gives choice. If you like the current max zoom level, you can still use that zoom level if they allow others who prefer a wider view to have a wider view.

I suspect the issue is it’s a technical limitation on the ratio between most zoomed in and most zoomed out, so if they allow us to zoom out more, we’ll be able to zoom in less, and they perhaps feel there will start to be people who want to zoom in more.

Hopefully they can eventually implement a range more like AoE III DE, with a vast ratio between most zoomed in and most zoomed out.

4 Likes

this is so true… rly… like… WTF?! this in addition to the fact that u CANT change playercolors is just not excusable and i would refund this instantly!! rly, i feel betrayed… how can u do such a good job on aoe2 DE an ■■■■ this up so bad?!? Hotkeys are garbage too… I DONT GET IT! WHY???

5 Likes

I wonder why people who are “happy with the current zoom level” would come and object giving a wider choice of zoom levels. It’s not that the zoom level would be fixed for all.

There are even people who are “happy with the current hotkey configuration” in a thread that asks for customization of hotkeys…I’m looking forward to the “happy with blue color” people.

14 Likes

I tried that game for 20 mins and I wanted to punch my monitor… 11 :smiley:

We’re getting there, give it a few more days. :slight_smile: On a serious note though - I agree. What are these forums if not for feedback?

3 Likes

“More zoom” doesn’t fix the problem. You see, the issue is not that we just want “more zoom”.

We want appropriate zoom. What does that mean? Well, simply take a look at how far a Trebuchet can shoot. This is the longest attack range unit in the game. And it doesn’t fit on the screen. This is bad design. How am I supposed to control with or against units which attack from outside my screen?

Compare this game to Stacraft 2. Stacraft 2 has long range units. Tanks, Tempests, Broodlords, Thors. But they do not attack other units outside of your screen. This is how units and distances should be designed. You shouldn’t have to move your screen back and forth while a fight is going on just to find out whats getting attacked.

Its about visual clarity. Either they rework the attack ranges of units so it all fits on screen, or they increase zoom.

15 Likes

Yeah, but for Relic that is the normal. In Company of Heroes you can barrage the enemy with artilery from the other side of the map, several screens away. However CoH is not a classic fast RTS, it’s a different thing, too bad it carried over its unwanted features into AoE4.

And btw, I honestly do not notice the zoom difference they changed AT ALL. I’m beginning to think that was just a trick.

6 Likes

The same way you control anything else that isn’t immediately on your screen. How else are you meant to manage building a base and fighting at the same time? You move the camera around.

1 Like

They definitely changed it, since they forgot to adjust the distance fog with it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thats not true, during beta phase a player found a way of editing the zoom level through the capture tool and you could zoom out to your hearts content without any frame drop at all. The issue is likely the game sound design had been built around this level of zoom.

A shocking reality we are now faced with.

5 Likes

Well maybe, keep in mind that game in capture tool behaves differently than in actual gameplay, so i wouldn’t compare both scenarios.

Thanks for your concern. I guess you should be all up in arms about the OP as well right?

No, this narrative and characterization is just purely reductive imagination on your part. Re-read the OP, and then read this quote from you again.

I mentioned the zoom again and again in the forums, the beta, the stress test, the surveys. And the devs response it giving it an adjustment so minor, you’d think it was a practical joke!

Having the buildings and units shoved up in the face like the game currently is, kills all my joy of playing and interest in an otherwise spectacular game in terms of gameplay and graphics. Devs please, oh please implement an option with st least 50-75% more zoom out than the game currently has, so we at least can have the option to do so!

8 Likes

The things about zoom range is it impacts gameplay and the game is balanced around where you can zoom to.

Regardless, it’s nothing but a preference; it does not indicate that the game is a failure or that Relic should be ashamed.

The arrogance of people who don’t like things and think that means it’s outright bad (because only their opinion matters) is sad and takes away from any point they might have.

Maybe the zoom could be increased but it’s impossible to take someone who thinks the current zoom level destroys the game, or that the year has anything at all to do with anything, seriously when tons of people don’t agree with them.

Increasing the zoom level would certainly make the game easier for people, but there’s nothing wrong with how it is now and it’s far less of an issue than being unable to adjust key bindings or having information that used to be readily available in the UI tucked away in a corner or removed completely.

3 Likes

We heard the same thing before they increased the zoom “by 20%”. Was it balanced around the previous zoom or the current zoom? Do you want to go back to the zoom it was before so we get better balance?

The game clearly has a lot of issues that need to be addressed, I don’t think anyone claimed that the zoom issue in necessarily the first priority. Though it might bother some people the most.

3 Likes

What the hell is your problem? How am I a troll?

That guy said that zoom needing improvement is universally agreed on. It mostly was, but then relic increased the zoom (you can see 20% more on the screen now) and now many people seem to be fine with it. It is definitely not universally agreed that we need more. Personally I would like another 10-20%, but frankly with their hitbox issues and how tightly units can clump I think the game would become very difficult to play (they need to make some improvements there for sure).

Man a few of you people here are honestly ridiculous. If someone is not foaming at the mouth, or god forbid having fun with the game, then they are part of the “apologist squad”, a “troll”, a “shill”, “sheep” etc… Some of you like that minuskollege guy (who I’ve determined is not a person worth responding to) and a couple others here seem incapable of having a discussion without insulting everyone you disagree with. I could post dozens of examples of being insulted for having a different opinion.

I have literally given the devs multiple pages of feedback and criticism of the game. Somehow I managed to do so without being an ass about it. I acknowledge that there are MANY issues that need fixed. As I said, personally I would like a little more zoom, but I acknowledge there are probably issues related to performance and playability if they do, I do not think it is because:

Ha the extent of my “trolling” and “shilling” has literally been disagreeing that some things are even issues, calling out a few people for making assumptions and assigning motives/character traits to people they have never met, making observations why relic may have done some things the way they did, and discussing things that I think are issues without getting angry about it, oh and perhaps the greatest sin of all, having fun with the game even though it is far from perfect.

1 Like

Try looking at something on the hills. Try to build a keep on that hill and see as it covers %50 of the screen and then you will understand why people are asking for more.

5 Likes

I mean obviously people want more to the level they fill is appropriate, for some people that level has already been reached, for some it has not. Personally I would like a little more, but find the current level ok now. I too have pointed out the issue with Trebuchets and their targets not fitting on the same screen and that is definitely a very valid argument.

One of my biggest annoyances jumping between AoE2 and SC is that the zoom is so much closer in SC. I am pretty sure overall it is closer in SC than in AoE4, but as you pointed out the long range attacks still fit on the screen, there is just nothing in SC with range as long as a Trebuchet.

Hmm now I kind of want to go do a comparison of SC vs AoE4 and see how many TC/CS fit on a screen for example, just out of curiosity.

Yes, the high terrain and how the camera handles it is a separate issue. I agree it’s annoying if you’re forced into a very close view when centering on a hill. I’ve seen videos of people showing that issue was fixed - so that the normal zoom is maintained when on a hill - and then everything else looks even further away - but maybe there’s still instances of it not being handled by the camera properly.

There’s a solution for the zoom problem.

It’s called AOE3:DE.

6 Likes