This game NEEDS a simple scenario editor

As the title says, we need a simpler and more intuitive scenario editor. I also posted this on Reddit, so hopefully, the devs see it.

First of all, to be clear, I think the current modding tool works great and as intended, but it’s way too complicated to understand and use for people who’ve never modded before. I’m obviously speaking from a personal POV, but I’m sure a lot of people can identify when I say that I would love to create a lot of crafted/generated maps, but I don’t have time or energy to learn how to use the current modding tool. It doesn’t feel intuitive compared to AoE 2’s scenario editor (yes, I am comparing it to AoE 2), where it feels like Microsoft Paint, but you have a map instead of a white sheet. I imagine it’s not so easy implementing something like this out of thin air, and it would probably take months just to plan out, but I’m hoping the devs have plans for improving this aspect of the modding tool.

As a closing idea, I just want to point out how important modding is for the AoE franchise games, and how it can easily be turned into an infinite source of content, which is very healthy for the game in the long term. Making it accessible for more casual players and modders (probably the majority of us) would be great. What are your thoughts on this?

7 Likes

Настолько сложный редактор? Видеогайды для этого редактора есть, или всё только в текстовом виде?? Тоже идей по созданию контента много, а до редактора ещё руки не доходили :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I do hope they make it more user friendly. I’ve played around with it a bit. Since it’s a bit compex, I haven’t had the time to really get into it and make something I’d want to post.

4 Likes

They should add a seperate scenario editor which is much more similar to scenario editor, easy to access in the game. There is no custom campaign or custom scenario being made

1 Like

Agreed, it needs something closer to AoE 2 DE’s scenario editor, and also more control over things that AFAICT aren’t changeable via the current modding tool, e.g. game speed, camera parameters, UI elements so people can change the panel icons to ones they prefer, add civ icons next to player names etc.

2 Likes

Not just AoE2 editor, but even AoE1 and AoE3 editors are very good (never tried AoM)

1 Like

AOM and AOE3 editors are very similar, AOE3 is on updated version of AOM engine so there’s a lot of parallels