This is a good chance to make European civs “less colonial”

No. The Lakota exist in the middle of a continent where the largest body of water is the Missouri River. Some of the Dakota use canoes, but the entire Seven Fires as a whole was not near water often enough to have any sort of meaningful impact on the water. The most I could suggest would be Haida mercenaries hirable, but otherwise anything on the water would basically need to be pure fantasy, as an imaginative what-if take on the civ’s approach to water.

The addition of the royal houses Bragança and Nassau would be very interesting. But at least in the Portuguese case it is not so absurd that they can access the Habsburgs, although it lasted less than 1 century the Philippine Dynasty was a significant historical event, I personally believe that it just didn’t last longer because of Philip IV’s misguided decisions.

The addition of the royal houses Bragança and Nassau would be very interesting. But at least in the Portuguese case it is not so absurd that they can access the Habsburgs, although it lasted less than 1 century the Philippine Dynasty was a significant historical event, I personally believe that it just didn’t last longer because of Philip IV’s misguided decisions.

One thing that could be nice would also be a possible addition of a second AI personality for each of the civs, eg Louis XIV for France, one of the Georges Kings of England…etc.

1 Like

I heard that they chose more prominent houses that rule over many major nations as native allies. More region-specific ones like Nassau, Hohenzollern, Tudor, etc. are used for renaming some old cards. Braganza has been a card for quite a while.

But maybe that’s not so much of a problem. Native ally cards for several European civs have been quite random from the very beginning (especially for Russians and Ottomans). If we just call it “xxx ally” not “xxx reign” then problem solved. We can now even give Hannover to Portuguese.

There is no better option for British civ than Queen Victoria!

Also, it would be nice to see more Home Cities for each civ (especially for Germans and Italians civs).

I made a suggestion for bulls.

4 Likes

So any water units could be seen as Haida allies (mercenaries only would be a it complicated to balance).

Because if a civ doesn’t have to good on water, you need to make it at least decent… otherwise you would just scrap the civ for every water map.

Yeah well… the age series is famous for that…

In the last PUP patch they announced that the following European team cards were to be renamed to their respective royal houses…

To celebrate the release of Knights of the Mediterranean the following European TEAM cards have received new names and icons for royal flavor:

• British TEAM Fast-building Houses ► TEAM House of Tudor
  • Dutch TEAM Cheap Market Improvements ► TEAM House of Nassau
  • French TEAM Early Skirmishers ► TEAM House of Bonaparte
  • German TEAM Teutonic Town Center ► TEAM House of Hohenzollern
  • Ottoman TEAM Cheap Trading Posts ► TEAM House of Osman
  • Portuguese House of Bragança ► TEAM House of Bragança (now a team card!)
  • Russian TEAM Barracks Hitpoints ► TEAM House of Romanov
  • Swedish TEAM Heavy Infantry Hitpoints ► TEAM House of Bernadotte

But they also need the new royal house cards. Imagine Italians and Maltese sending whole bunches of Bourbon units and French sending…Hurons.

1 Like

I dont think I ever send any of those cards besides the Swedish one :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow…You always learn something new xd…

Yes,AoE 4 should have explored European conflicts, but those of the twentieth century xd, as Ensemble Studios wanted…

Of course, now with the European maps, the Janissaries, the German war wagons and Suleiman, Frederick the Great and Napoleon make more sense within the game…

The European civs having “settlers” on European maps will also be weird optically, even more so with using Courer-de-Bois. French settlers being trained by the Cree to explore their own backyard is a bit silly.

Of course, the same I say…the games of the civilization saga have different leaders and personalities for their civs, in addition to giving them different bonuses depending on the one you choose…in AoE 3 would be type this:

British:Elizabeth I,George III,Victoria

French:Francis I,Louis XIV,Napoleon

Spanish:Elisabeth I,Philip II,Elisabeth II

Portuguese:Henry the Navigator,Sebastian I,John VI

Germans:Charles V,Frederick the Great,Otto von Bismark

Russians:Ivan the Terrible,Peter the Great,Catherine the Great

Swedes:Gustavus Adolphus (aka The Lion of the North),Queen Christina,Charles XII (aka Carolux Rex)

Aztecs:Moctezuma I,Moctezuma II,Cuauhtémoc

Incas:Pachacuti,Huayna Capac,Tupac Amaru II

USA:George Washington,Andrew Jackson,Abraham Lincoln

Mexicans:Miguel Hidalgo,Antonio de Santa Anna,Benito Juarez

2 Likes

yes, it’s a bit weird that…

I would add them in my decks simply to give them greater historicity…

Doesn’t really fit as a great Portuguese leader, to be honest. Someone like John II, Manuel I or Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo would be a better fit.

You can give them Wettin units since the last dynasty of Portugal were the Bragança-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the later a cadet branch of House Wettin.

Of course, or John IV, the first Bragança king after the independence of Portugal in 1640…

I’m sure also, Charles III would be better for Spain than Elizabeth II, also, Manco Inca would be better for the Inca than Tupac Amaru II