Thought exercise: English should not be able to build town centers and/or keeps, landmarks only

I don’t think the Turks should be added because they don’t fit the time period for this game.

The trouble is that historically there’s nothing the English have to offer lol.

None sense, don’t be so humble, they had the Seljuks and the Ottomans, they tie into the game nicely, and they can have these terrible mechanics that you are pretending to love so much.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say? What terrible mechanics?

The Seljuks aren’t Turks by the way they’re Turkoman. Because the Turks didn’t exist until the Imperial age similar to how a distinct English culture didn’t exist until after this game released.

We cant say how much britons are strong compared for example to prelates from HRE. We need a new beta for balance change. This discussion has no sense. English already got a big nerf compared to closed beta.

→ We dont know. This is the only sentence that makes sense in my opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The French and English campaigns in this game are about the development of the English and French identities and nations due to the hundred years war. They make that very clear. There is a Norman conquest campaign.

As part of his efforts to secure England, William ordered many [castles], and [mottes] built – among them the central keep of the [Tower of London], the [White Tower]. These fortifications allowed Normans to retreat into safety when threatened with rebellion and allowed garrisons to be protected while they occupied the countryside. The early castles were simple earth and timber constructions, later replaced with stone structures…

William also required his newly created magnates to contribute fixed quotas of knights towards not only military campaigns but also castle garrisons…

Explains Englands civ bonus and nice keeps.

1 Like

So the English used Knights and constructed castles.

This differentiates them from other factions how exactly?

1 Like

Don’t start with him, he thinks the English are French and Scandinavian and he says George Washington is a native American

They developed a lot of castles in contested regions, that were apparently regularly attacked by rebellions, which would force them to develop good defensive strategies around those castles. I’m not the one suggesting a keep cap for England, which also nerfs their civ bonus and their unique keep bonus. You’re suggesting they should be knee-capped as a civ when others are not. Then again, you also just wanted them removed from the game, or simply renamed to another civ. I guess you were ok with not changing them and simply renaming them. Really highlights your motives.

There are plenty of castles in Wales because it was a contested region. Most densely populated with castles in Europe.

If you want to use the English having a lot of castles having a historical basis to justify their bonus with castles then you’re also going to have to concede the fact that the longbowman is not a unique unit on a historical basis since it wasn’t.

Wales is also not England by the way so I don’t know why you’re bringing that up. Wales is part of Britain.

Also I said that the English should be replaced by a Scandinavian faction because they would be represented by the scandinavians pre-norman and the French post norman invasion.

The Normans and England had those castles built in Wales.

You are ignoring my points because you have already lost this argument. You can’t have it either way either it’s okay to get rid of the castles because the English have longbowmen or history does matter and the English shouldn’t have a unique longbowman.

Germany has a land area of 357,000km with 25,000 castles that is one castle every 14km.

Wales has a land area of 20,000km with 600 castles that’s one castle every 34km.

2 Likes

Friendly reminder that he is not the one making Pro-Turk threads. They are from another user.

Thank you. I assume you are being sincere, but it’s hard to discern sarcasm.

I watched some “pro” players gameplay with the English, and I think I appreciate some of the design choices a bit more. I think that my original suggestion to limit English TCs to just landmarks would handicap the English a bit too much. Some of these games end up with 3 or 4 TCs, so the landmark TCs would need some sort of special buff (i.e. increased villager build speed, cheaper villagers, or something along those lines).