To: Dev Team --- Re: URGENT - Improvements to M&K UI on Console

I’d like to initiate a conversation about the critical need to enhance the mouse and keyboard (M&K) interface on consoles. At present, the M&K experience on consoles suffers from an inadequate and largely inoperable user interface (UI). This UI awkwardly borrows from the PC grid command scheme, rendering many hotkeys nonfunctional and basic in-game menus — like chat, score/player lists, and trade/alliance options — inaccessable or impossible to use. Adopting the PC UI for M&K console users, complete with full hotkey functionality, would be simple fix and mark a significant upgrade, vastly improving the overall experience.

I understand my comments might seem harsh, but my aim is to quickly draw attention to the unsatisfactory state of the console M&K UI. This sense of urgency is fueled by the upcoming implmentation of crossplay in the next update. In Season 7, AoE 4 is facing the biggest oppurtunity to expand its player base since its initial release. This is a massive moment for the community and I want to make sure AoE 4 is in the best position possible to capitalize on it.

Most players prefer playing real-time strategy games on M&K but many lack the hardware to play on PC. Improving the UI for M&K on consoles will attract this large untapped player base to the game—a player base that, otherwise will be met by a inhospitable, unwelcoming, barren UI. You only get one first impression, which is why I am urging the Dev Team to immediately direct all of their avaliable resources towards remedying the abhorrent state of the M&K console UI by simply adopting the PC UI.

This straightforward solution promises to unlock millions in potential revenue. Should all involved commit fully and unwaveringly, the task can be completed within mere hours. So go forth Dev Team, tempus fugit! Until all is accomplished, poceed without hesitation, without pause, and without end. To God be the glory.

P.S. - I greatly appreciate the AoE4 Dev Team and am grateful for all of their hard work. I believe the Devs have done an amazing job improving and growing the game since it’s release. I deeply care about this game, this community and the continued success of both.

3 Likes

Yeah, i agree. I think mouse and keyboard interface of Xbox should be the same as PC.

But we are moving forward. The addition of crossplay shows that the devs are heeding the feedback. Many thanks to Relic and Microsoft.

2 Likes

XD this just corroborates my previous publication

I don’t believe. Many were waiting for this feature to play with friends who don’t have a gaming PC.

I don’t know how difficult it is to implement, but I hope that in the next updates the Xbox interface with mouse and keyboard will be the same as the PC. So, there will be no difference.

Does anyone know if the Xbox interface has been updated or if it still takes 2 clicks to build buildings? I’m going to try to bring back some friends who were on Xbox so we can play together now.

It has not. I’d urge everyone to request that the Devs fix the console K&M UI ASAP! Hot fix immediately. It is unusable in its current state. Additionally majority of hotkeys are un-mappable.

1 Like

it will be very nice if xbox interface will be the same as pc, 2 clic for build…

I got it, thanks! I believe this update to the Xbox interface should happen in the next patches. They must not have had time to change it this time. Either way, it’s a patch to celebrate.

Yes i have made 2 posts about certain abilities for the byzantines dont have bindings and have been ignored for months… i have zero hope from the devs they implemented crossplay but mouse and keyboard on console is still broken…

You cannot build priests from grand winery now
If you build cistern of the first hall you cannot use sheild wall ability on limitenai… just 2 quick examples that effect me.

Then there is the ui… the whole fact we cannot get player names and colors/civs on the screen is actually stupid. There is a command for display players but it doesnt even work.

I was hoping with crossplay we on vonsole on m&k would get the pc UI and it would fix it and explain the ignorence of the devs on posts like these… alas that is not true. Instead they just let the console players down again… i keep having to go back to controller just for these stupud small ui issues its really frustrating.

FWIW - They have been emailing me and asking questions regarding troubleshooting hotkey issues, so I take that as a sign they are looking into the matter.

3 Likes

Im glad to hear, gives me hope!

1 Like

Nothing in latest patch again for this… they dont care.
Still cannot use grand winery (no key for monk) and cistern of the first hall (removes shield wall on limitinai) on m&k console edition… ui still balls.
Pc can see win stats on quick match in game menus console cannot…
Console can display names with controller and get scores m&k cannot.
They are killing this for me… just rough. Thanks devs. Good job on crossplay though… lmao smh

Calm down, one thing at a time. They just released the patch with crossplay.

Very likely that these problems with different interfaces between platforms will be resolved in the next updates.

1 Like

Dont mean to be agro. My bad. Ive posted about this back in december. Ive been patient and am still waiting. tbh im just vocalizing my displeasure is all i wish more people would speak up then we could actually make a change. This should be a priority now that cross play is here dont you agree?

1 Like

Yes, i agree!

And it probably is already prioritized, but this fix takes some time. Let’s wait for the next update patch.

1 Like