Trade routes (Rework) 🚂🚋🚋

Could this be implemented on the ‘unknown’ map to test and see how it goes?

8 Likes

There shouldnt be a disscussion about gates on trade routes, it should be a thing already in-game. Its like disscussing gates for aoe1 or farming mechanics from aoe2 for aoe1…

Plus there are mods that “fix” that. Telegraph idea seems nice too.

5 Likes

Absolutely - 100% agree.

Even various single player scenarios/campaigns have instances of gates over trade routes from day 1 (as in over a decade and a half ago).

It’s a small touch that would be greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

Also with the nerfs that have been done to the walls it would be a good way to compensate.

2 Likes

I want the Gates on the trade route.

4 Likes

It fundamentally alters how maps are played and makes gameplay less diverse/interessting.

Gates over traderoutes should not be a thing

Carolina
Caucasus
Central asia
Colorado
Dakota

Are just a few examples of maps that would suffer from a change (and i just started going through the maps alphabetically - those are not prime examples)
They are all designed with walls in mind. Just look at the maps for yourself and imagine how matches would play differently, if you could dissregard traderoutes (esp. In teammatches)

3 Likes

Considering walls have recently been butchered for most civs with the 10 W cost and lower HP i doubt that it would alter much tbh.

Its about what area u can controll w walls - if traderoutes create chokepoints, weakpoints etc. The argument about wall nerfs misses that aspect. Also walls are still very much viable and not weak at all

Did you mean that players who spam a lot walls of 25% map? I hate this walls trolling! Such players - I would add to blacklist, if the developers could not deal with through gameplay.

Its an strategy as valid as any other. It wouldnt happen if walls could stop siege units as opris, doppels, samurais ir grenadiers among others.

We got weaker walls instead

In fact, I think all the old Maps need a rework when it comes to Trade Routes. Maps of the New World and Asia lack River and Sea Trade Routes. In the case of African Maps, although there are several Maps with rivers as their theme, River Trade Routes are missing. Only the European Maps have all types of Trade Routes.

2 Likes

If you read correctly, you know that my proposal is for the late game, so competitive games would be little affected.

I understand what you mean, the trade route is set up in a way that hinders the defenses, but should the entire game be like this? I do not think so. Those weak points should disappear at the end of the game and players should have the right to control their part of the map more efficiently.

For example, on the Great Lakes map it is somewhat stupid to have to make a wall on the side of the route instead of simply crossing it. It is simply tedious and impractical. There are already enough battle fronts on this map to justify the enemy’s free access to your base through the trade route.

I think the reason why some oppose it is simply because the game has been like this since 2005, something similar to how some opposed the fact that in AOE-1 you could build doors in the wall, and have troops with formations, but I think that most people wanted these things.