Trade routes (Rework) 🚂🚋🚋

Trade routes are working well overall, but I think it’s time for some adjustments.

Let’s start with the aesthetic:

The trade routes in Africa are great, but the speed with which the trade caravan moves is ridiculous. Camels don’t exactly stand out for their speed in real life (I know they can run, but it’s not usual when they carry merchandise on top of them). That’s why I propose that instead of scaling its speed, they scale the resources it delivers on the route, while the caravan’s speed remains the same. This would give more realism and uniqueness to African trade routes. Same for shipping/river routes using non-steam ships. It also doesn’t make sense for him to scale his speed.

The trade route tracks must also be changed, which are currently the same as stagecoach tracks, but should represent the foot prints of camels and human travellers.

Current

Fix

Fix Conga Line Camels

In case you use the us federal card ‘corliss steam engine’, the second upgrade of land and shipping/river trade routes will be replaced by a train or steam ship respectively, as this would not make sense for camels or ships who use candles The changes will be made to all trade routes on the map, and since it’s just a cosmetic change I don’t see the problem.

Gates on the trade route:

Trade routes have always been an obstacle to building a good wall, and I understand that the purpose of this is to make it more difficult to dominate the map so that the enemy can attack more easily with raids, but I think that this in the long term It is irrelevant. That is why I propose that once you reach imperial and you have made all the improvements in the trade route, you can build a gate on the trade route, since the trade route hinders the construction of a good defense a lot.

There are people who oppose this because “it would be very easy to win by monopoly”, but can’t you enclose the local populations? They also count as TP to carry out the trade monopoly.

Again, this would only be enabled in the Imperial era and with all the path upgrades done, so it doesn’t affect early game.

[Poll] Would you like to be able to build doors on the trade route after the imperial era in the standard game, or at least in the treaty mode?

A new improvement (telegraph):

Late game trade routes don’t have the impact they do in the early game, so I propose the following. Because people and I think developers don’t seem to be willing for trade route resources to increase significantly (in addition to delivery speed rates), I propose a new technology called telegraph. It is basically the precursor of all current telecommunications.

Telegraph: Each trade route TP you control reduces the experience cost of shipments by 5% and increases the arrival speed of shipments by 5%.

This upgrade will be available after researching iron horse and equivalents, both land and sea/river routes. This is how it would look on land routes approximately:
Captura de pantalla (149)

It could also be a technology in the European university if it is ever implemented.

Finally: Add naval/fluvial trade routes on maps where there are none yet, such as the American and Asian maps. New Maps with Riverine Trade Routes

22 Likes

Another related proposal:

1 Like

For African land trade routes, that’s an excellent idea.

1 Like

You started out well but went overboard with the telegraph and gates on trade routes. Those 2 are just simply beyond broken.

4 Likes

Because? It would not be exclusive to any civilization.

The gate me be beautiful but the telegraph is not a need.

I’d say that the road in Silk Road and Saharan Routes should be able to upgrade or should be the last level from the beginning.

A map new similar to Silk Road and Saharan Routes with water trade routes will be nice. We could rename current Honshu to “Ryukyu” and add water trade routes to make it become this kind of map. The current Hokkaido was originally based on Mount Fuji so it could be renamed “Honshu” or “Kantƍ” (if split Honshu to Kantƍ and Kansai, respetively representing the east and west Honshu) or " Tƍkai" (if split Honshu to even more), and then introduce a new map named “Ezo” or “Ezochi”.

2 Likes

This is not the main proposal, but he mentioned it because there are historical maps that contain this technology. I think this would be a good way to implement it in the standard game.

The telegraph allows you to snowball too much. We already discussed the gate proposal several times, it’s OP in supremacy, makes trade monopoly too easy.

I like the telegraph idea. What if the bonus was different? It could just be an XP trickle.

1 Like

The telegraph would be an endgame technology, and would also require map control. Shipments in the imperial era are very expensive in experience. It would be a snowball problem if it became available too early or if it was exclusive to one civilization. Furthermore, experience itself also snowballs and is what a TP is usually built for.

The gates on the trade route are not a problem, as for this you would have to enclose most of the trading posts on the map, which are generally very spread out. If a player does that and manages to defend them for 5 minutes, it’s because he’s going to win anyway. In addition, local populations also count as a trading post and can also be locked up. You have 5 minutes to take down the wall and if you have long range weapons you could take down a TP that is behind a wall. In addition, the monopoly is not free, since you invest 500 of each resource.

The trade monopoly equivalents in other AOEs can be walled off without issue where walls are much more difficult to break down (wonder win and holy places). In AOE-3, where the maps aren’t that big and the walls aren’t that strong, I don’t think it’s as serious a problem as they make it out to be.

Well, the truth is that I’m trying to carry a technology of historical maps to the standard game. This is the best idea I can come up with, but I’m open to other suggestions.

As for your proposal, well, that would be like generating experience without the need for the train to arrive at the TP, but I would prefer a mechanic that improves the metropolis itself without the need for dripping experience.

I was thinking the trickle would better represent how the telegraph works. The telegraph is always sending messages and information (i.e. xp).

Another idea is that it could speed up the time it takes for shipments to arrive.

Edit: I reread the post and see that’s your original idea, and also is already implemented so just ignore my ignorance. I like the idea and would be happy to see it implemented in standard skirmish.

But without needing to bind to the route? It would be similar to how it currently is on historical maps. Well, my idea is that this would somehow require map control, just like it did in the real world, as usually these cables ran parallel to trade routes, and later further. Later, cables began to be extended across the oceans.

It is as if we somehow extended the cable from the neighborhood to the city of origin.

Yes, that’s just how it works on historical maps.

1 Like

Oh that’s what you originally said, lol. I like the idea! It doesn’t seem broken or unbalanced to me at all.

(149)

5 Likes

The telegraph could also be unlocked with a card, but it will affect all trade routes on the map.

The gate on the trade route. Perhaps we could make it so that it cannot be built while the commercial monopoly is declared, although it would make more sense the other way around, to be able to build it only while you declare the commercial monopoly.

The visual fixes would be great, and gates over trade routes shouldn’t be limited to campaigns (but would need to be balanced heavily so that it doesn’t ruin the trade monopoly mechanic).

2 Likes

looks nice , especially the telegraph idea is interesting

1 Like

I like all the suggestions, however having gates over trade routes is the simplest one I want!

1 Like