UI freeze while watching recorded game

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: current as of 16:48 EEST July 17th 2020 (101.101.37906.0 5105673)
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: Hjörleif

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.

So this UI freeze experience is by no means new, plenty of people have reported it happening in ranked games: [Merged] Overlay Freezes

However, I have not seen or heard of anyone experiencing this while watching a recorded game, so I am starting a new topic.

I was watching a recorded game with the fastest speed option when suddenly the UI freezes and does not respond. The stockpile indicators, game timer, spectator stats at the bottom, score, game notifications, everything except the mini-map itself froze. While the mini-map shows up to date, it cannot be interacted with, clicking it does nothing. It is still possible to pause/unpause the playback but no “Game Paused” text will show.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s how to reproduce the issue (read: what I did before the issue occured):

1. Start AoE2:DE.
  2. Go to “Saves & Replays”.
  3. Go to “Replays”.
  4. Select the latest replay.
  5. Click “Load Replay”.
  6. Click “Fog of War”.
  7. Switch player perspective.
  8. Fast forward with fastest speed.
  9. Now the issue may happen.
    9b. (I alt-tabbed and started OBS to record the issue)
  10. Alt+F4 does nothing.
  11. Alt+F4 a second time works.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE of the game where you encountered the issue.

Publicly available Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bqEjZEsQ_NeCLpNlJcabQN7N1t7mksum?usp=sharing
contains 3 files:

1. unedited video capture of issue (“2020-07-17 16-53-07.mp4”)
  2. the recorded game file (“MP Replay v101.101.37906.0 @2020.07.17 024645 (2).aoe2record”)
  3. information on system which game was played on when issue occurred (“DxDiag.xml”)

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a SCREENSHOT, VIDEO, DXDIAG .TXT FILE, or CRASH/GAME LOGS (if relevant).
35 second video of it happening with added arrows and text descriptions: https://youtu.be/Ukhc-5P_aNA

1 Like

Thank you for the report and all the helpful information! I’ve added this to the task we’re using to track this and associated issues, and will let you know if the team could use any additional information to get this one figured out.

Thanks again!

1 Like