Unit Grouping and Unit Formations

Will units be able to group up into formation when you move them from point A to point B on the map? I have seen videos of gameplay and so far it seems that they just all take there separate paths (how the original game worked.)

I feel like this would be a great addition to the game and add an ease to moving units/battles.

There is no official statement on that yet, so we don’t really know. I also would like to have formations, but a lot of people are against it. Given how far in the developement we are (with no hint of this feature so far), I think the answer is more likely to be a no than a yes, but I would be happier if I were wrong tbh.

AFAIK the movement will be the same. Disappointing, yes, but control groups will be in. The select limit has been increased to (at least) 36 from the original 24, which should make things a little more manageable, and I hope the individual unit AI is smarter now in terms of deciding who it should attack.

No formations. You can control grups since first versión I think.

No formations. AOEDE is a remaster of the prevous one, with some updates.

The pathfinding is improved and there are numerous balance adjustments. Basically I will see AoEDE as a new game
Unlike Starcraft, AoE has not been plagued by the Korean esport and it’s multiplay is basically dead now. So I think it is a good chance to greatly improve the game to attract new players.

@Kuoting said:
The pathfinding is improved and there are numerous balance adjustments. Basically I will see AoEDE as a new game
Unlike Starcraft, AoE has not been plagued by the Korean esport and it’s multiplay is basically dead now. So I think it is a good chance to greatly improve the game to attract new players.

You don’t ear about voobly and Vietnamese Pro player of AoE?
I haven’t idea about that but, there are many here in the forums talking about that.
Even are Koreans.

Comparing to the popularity of AoE2 and AoE3, AoE1 is actually dead.

Even the most popular RTS starcraft 2 is going to have a big balance patch now. So why the remastered version of an actually dead game can’t receive more good improvements to attract new players?

I think the idea is to put a fresh coat of paint on the old classics while we patiently wait for AoE4, which is where you gotta assume MS will focus its real development budget.

@Kuoting said:
Comparing to the popularity of AoE2 and AoE3, AoE1 is actually dead.

Even the most popular RTS starcraft 2 is going to have a big balance patch now. So why the remastered version of an actually dead game can’t receive more good improvements to attract new players?

You are wrong though. In Vietnam and China. AoE 1 is actually an Esport. In Vietnam AoE 1 is the second most played game after LoL. In Europe and US there is still an active competitive scene as well, it’s not as big. But it’s there.

From my perspective, I really like the army control in AoE 1 because it’s of really intensive micro. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy what they did with DE by adding easier farm reseeding, waypoints etc. because quite frankly, this was a major pain in the ass in the original. But I actually enjoy having to micro my army a lot. That being said, I understand that a lot of players are AoE 2 players and will find this difficult.

I think a formation function similar to Warcraft 3 is considerable. It is simple and can switch easily in the battle. It is convenient when players want to decide to let the troops move at their fastest speed to the destination individually or assemble first and then move together.

And If new formation function is viable, the devs can consider to bring this function as an option to the AoE2HD or AoE2DE since they use the same genie engine.

I really hope they add the feature where you select your units and right click a point on the map and they gather to that point as opposed to walking while maintaining relative distance with each other.

I also hope they add a no-attack stance for the catapults, I find them so hard to micro!