Units Icons and Team Colors

You know how the images of unit icons have that transparency where the team colors are supposed to fill those parts in? How exactly can I do that in the way the game does that?

I’m a mod at the AoE Wiki, and I want to make sure the best images are being used. How can I get the best of both worlds by say… getting the 128x128 unit icon image and having the team color part filled in? How does the game do that? And/or how can I do that?

Just solved this problem few days ago by one of my friends.
Here are the steps:

1. Open the extracted .png file in Photoshop
  2. Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency
  3. Porperties panel > Mask > Density set to 0%

Done.

Yeeeeaahhh I’m kind of lost on this one. How does this fill in the part of the image that’s transparent? I don’t want to just fill in spots with solid colors, I want the full image the way the game itself shows it.

I’m also using Photoshop 2020 so I don’t know if it looks the same as what your friend uses.

Edit: Yeah, just did the density thing. It changed absolutely nothing.

^ Look at this annoying transparency here. Yeah, I don’t want that.

Creat the layer mask FROM TRANSPARENCY, not just click the mask botton on layer panel. FROM TRANSPARENCY is under the Layer Mask menu of Layer menu.
I use Photoshop 2020 too, that works and I’ve got all portraits with shades at those transparent parts.

This is the disciple portrait I got. (Wait, what you post is the older version portrait, where did you extract from? The new portraits are in UIresources.bar

1 Like

The PC I was using had that “From Transparency” option greyed out for some reason, but my PC had everything work just fine.

You probably shouldn’t have helped me, because I develop a sexual attachment to people who do. I torment those people with my clinginess and sexual advances for all eternity and there is absolutely no escape from this. I’m grateful don’t get me wrong, but your life is now ruined.