Units' skin customizations for different cultures

i’m fine with new unit and regional skins so long as they remain optional and client side only.

1 Like

There should be an option to disable skins and make them client side only. I understand that some people buy skins to show off but I also understand that they might be confusing for others which would give the skin buyers a tactical advantage.

3 Likes

Imagine they released a DLC that changed the ethnic skin colour, even if it was just for the vils. It would add such a better level of immersion. I reckon peeps would totally buy that. I mean company of heroes is less popular and they even sold skins for tanks when you can already customise your own.

I wonder how hard it would be. And of course client side only to reduce confusion from players that can’t handle it.

Omg actual African vils for Malians would be the bomb. And super pale viking vils :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, for Malians and the Berbers. In the mod I mentioned they have them. But it has some bugs, like only guys coming up sometime. Vikings villagers should be all blond.

I’m totally fine with this being client side only, it would please anyone. I hope devs read this discussion and implement it, if it were a DLC I’d definitely buy it.

1 Like

They would have to change how the game engine works for that. I too find it stupid that even stuff that could and should be client side is inside the dat file, which can’t be used for normal multiplayer, but the devs would have to rewrite almost everything for it to work.

Just to begin with, I think devs could start making custom priests for the various ethnic groups, like the mesoamerican priest

4 Likes

I think devs made a good choice to customize the apparence of kings and merchants for every ethnic group, they should do the same at least with queens, who are the same for every civilization, and monks, who differ only with the mesoamerican priest.

2 Likes

Prithviraj on foot should have got his own skin if they had the time to make the mounted version.

1 Like

I like this idea. At least the devs need to create something so this is easily moddable, so it is usable for ranked as well. Currently these things are only possible by using data mods, which arent allowed in Ranked.

If every region could have different units’ skins, that would be great, but it would require a lot of work. I suggest to keep it as it is and only change a few units (like Monks and Queens for instance).

Indeed, I think they could make for Monks and Queens regional skin for the base game and make a DLC for every other units. Like I said in a post I’d defenitely buy it.
However for the common military units they also can just modify small details in order to differentiate them without a lot of work

Regional skins would be great but im not sure if they will go that route given all the hard work the scenario designers had to go through to make the current scenario look better with current assets.
I still want to see more variation in hero skins like dismounted Prithviraj correct african skin for archer of the eyes alexander nevisky master of the templar and so on.

So the devs should now know how much the community loves new skins.
See the castles, kings or market squares.

It is also a kind of appreciation that an African civ also receives black villagers; monks do not come from a Turkish monastery, rather imams and mosques, for example.

That’s why every castle should have its own skin. monastery and monks need to be changed.

I would also like to see a change in barracks units skins, But this change should be limited and the units should still remain recognizable. u/gaudio590 from Reddit does the best work here, look his amazing work.

6 Likes

Unfortunately I can only send one photo, here is the second photo from u/gaudio590.

5 Likes