Units stopping/Canceling Action

For the past couple months I have been unable to play Age of Empires 4 really on Skirmish/any modes due to a bug.

Anytime I select units and click an action on the map or build something they will eventually stop their action. I do not know what happend or if there is a mysterious key binding update to avoid this.

Hey @DougieFresh236! Can you tell me more? Can you give me a specific scenario of actions and the outcome that you’re seeing? Thanks so much!

Hello, when I am starting the game I will simply put a worker to a building or sent a scout out to a spot and my unit just stops its action.

I constantly have to re click the unit on the building (stopping endlessly) and the scout will also stop in an area and not progress.

I’m not a Age of Empires Vet by any means but i’d like to be able to enjoy the same at least somewhat sometimes since I paid for it. Feels broken for me at the moment :confused:

I am also only playing Skirmishes, no Online.

It sounds like it’s something very specific to your computer and not a game bug.

Dumb question, but are your keyboard and mouse in good working order? Open a notepad and leave it there for a few minutes without typing anything. Do you see any letters or weird characters appearing out of the blue? What about the mouse? Try another one, ideally a wired one. An old mouse might be registering false clicks and/or the wireless connection may be glitching too.

If your bug is still there in the game, try resetting your AoE4 settings. You can delete the %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires IV\ folder and it will regenerate after the next launch.

Finally, you could have malware or a virus (or even a non-malicious but crappy application) registering phantom keystrokes or clicks. Do a virus scan and kill every background task before you play.

3 Likes

Wow, what an off-put response. No my computer, mouse and keyboard work perfectly fine.

Just forget it, this is not helpful now at all.

1 Like

And then they ask me why I dislike people… sigh.

Hey y’all. No need for conflict. It’s Friday, I get it :laughing:.

Any chance you can capture a short video of this happening? You may also want to contact support with your DxDiag and warnings.log file in case it is something specific to your setup.

This is an insane response to someone just trying to be helpful.

This is not a normal bug that other people seem to be encountering, and it could easily be caused by extra inputs, so one of the very first logical troubleshooting steps would be to check hardware.

He’s also not even a mod, just another player trying to help. And no, no one “practically came out and asked if you were poor”.

1 Like

Instead of being needlessly rude, you could also try to record your issue.
Makes it easier for everyone.

2 Likes

bump this shit still happens. it happens to everyone i know the pathing/ai for it is bugged. not to mention attack move doesnt even work half the time the units just bug out and jitter back and forth kinda crazy you have to literally baby the units after giving a command. you tell the horse to atttack archers they run into pikes on the opposite side of the battle lol. played aoe 2 3 and other RTS games this never happened in those

Are you attack moving on the ground? Or on enemy units?

A lot of times people think they are attack moving, but instead are targeting specific units in which case their units will shuffle around trying to reach the target.

Ha sorry but having been playing AoE2 every week for a long time, this is a comically untrue statement.