Urumi Swordsmen Rework - Knight Counter

AOE2 community knows Dravidians as a Civ needs quite a few improvements to be playable on Land maps. They have a poor tech tree and unit composition to respond to knights. I have tried to make Urumi and Elite Urumi counters to Knights and cavalier. The inspiration was a Sandy peterson interview where he said Unique Units were supposed to overcome a particular handi-cap a civ had.

Here is a new Urumi 2.0 based on feedback from @Pulikesi25 on cost, melee attack and raiding potential :

Urumi sword was a weapon of choice to fight multiple opponents. It was primarily used by skilled martial artists as a self defense weapon. It took years of training on other weapons and only the most proficient were trained on the Urumi steel blades. So AOE2 Urumi unit should be very good at defending themselves. Either they should be heavily armoured or have some kind of shrivamsha shield. One infantry unit that I have seen hold its own against multiple high DPS units like Knights is the teutonic Knight, I believe the Urumi should have similar stats.

Urumi 2.0 is based on the base version Teutonic Knight. Urumi should be similar to teutonic Knight in the sense that when 1vs1 it should be able to counter Knights. The costs have been adjusted to be equal. Urumi however sacrifises hit points for speed and a charge atttack. Elite Urumi kinda has the same upgrades in reduction to charge attack time, base damage, bonus damage and no armour upgrades. So upgrade cost is not modified.

Training
Cost            : 85 Food  40 Gold [**CHANGE**] Cost equal to teutonic Knight
Training time   : 12 seconds [**CHANGE**] +3 seconds. Same as teutonic Knight.
Statistics
Hit points      : 55, 65 (Elite)
Melee Attack    : 14, 16 (Elite) [**CHANGE**] +6 attack. Same as teutonic Knight for base Urumi.
Attack bonus    : +2, +3 (Elite) vs Cavalry [**CHANGE**] (Changed from Eagle)
                  +3, +4 (Elite) vs Siege [**CHANGE**] (Changed from Building and +2 added)
Rate of Fire    : 2
Melee armor     : 7 [**CHANGE**] Armour equal to teutonic Knight
Pierce armor    : 2  [**CHANGE**] Armour equal to teutonic Knight
Armor class     : Infantry, Unique unit
Speed           : 1.15 [**CHANGE**] 0.1 Buff
Line of Sight   : 3
Ability         : Charges its attack by 3 times over 24 (20 Elite) seconds and
                     dealing a blast attack of 50% strength in 0.75 tiles radius.
                  [**NEW**] The charge attack recharges only when Urumi is not attacking.
                  [**NEW**] Once charge attack is made on enemy unit, Urumi armour both melee
                  and pierce will stop working. Armour again starts working when the charge is full.

Unit evolution  : Elite Urumi Swordsman
Upgrade cost    : 900 food, 450 gold
Upgrade time    : 45 seconds

Urumi 2.0 will have the same cost, damage output and armour as a teutonic knight. But less hit points and more speed. This shows how valuable Urumi unit is and its self-defence capabilities.

Urumi gets bonus damage against cavalry and Siege. This guides the players to decide on exactly what to use the Urumi against given its very high costs.

The charged first strike has been bumped to 3 times the normal melee damage. The 3 times amount is to assist stack black-smith upgrades into the attack. The charge attack does not recharge if the Urumi unit is attacking an opponent. It only recharges when moving about, patrolling or standing still in no attack mode and not attacking. When attack animation starts, recharging pauses.
Compared to current stats, Urumi 2.0 doubles the damage it currently does. This is vital for the use of Urumi as a shock troop unit. The very high charge damage during first attack can make Urumi act like a slightly faster petard against Siege and very fast raiders like light cav, steppe lancer and Shrivamsha riders.

The armour is for self-defense only and switches off when Urumi starts attacking an opponent. Once Urumi unleashes first strike on an opponent, the high melee and pierce armours stop working. Urumi heath reduces for every damage received like a unit with zero melee and pierce armour. Thus making Urumi armourless and completely vulnerable and open after the first strike. This will be the most unique feature of the Urumi and its ultimate weakess when used as an offensive unit.
The armour does not start working again till the charge attack is full. Intermediate periods of rest does help recharge, but will pause if interrupted by attacking opponent. So micro helps a lot if Urumi’s charge attack and self-defense shield need to be maximized. With proper micro, against high DPS units like palladin and cataphract, Urumi can run away in no attack stance, recharge to full and turn back to deliver a devastating charge attack. Urumi swordsmen armour is a proxy for their high self-defense skill.

The charge damage and armour mechanism makes Urumi a better defensive unit than an offensive unit. The costs too justify such a capability. With this change, the Urumi will be tied with Teutonic Knight as the costliest infantry unit.

The idea is to defend against skirm/archer+knight push or monk+siege push with a combination of Skirm + Urumi defense. Urumi is made into this unique shock troop unit which takes out points of pressure like siege as well as defend against Knight raids.

One on one, Knight and Urumi should take each other out in 7 hits and whoever engages first should win. Thus be a soft counter. Cavalier will be better than Urumi But Elite Urumi should equalise it.

Light cav without bloodlines are not good counters to Siege push when siege is protected by archers. Urumi should be able to snipe siege even when Siege is protected by archers like Knights do conventionally. I have worked the charge mechanism to take out mangonels and onagers in 1 hit.

With these changes, Urumi is not a very snow-balling unit to be used only in mass battles because of high cost. They can be used individually in defensive and offensive roles. They can be massed if cost is not a concern. Massing Urumis might become a win condition as well for a Dravidian player like palladin is for frank players.

1 Like

Urumi already are an amazing UU that in big battles with splash damage and charge literally eats cavalry so they do not need this kind of buff at all

3 Likes

I think Dravidians don’t need a buff and it’s fine to have civs that are “infantry-based”. If anything, Dravidians can go full Pike since upgrades are so cheap. Their booming potential is also quite good with the +200w at early Castle Age. If they absolutely need a buff, give them first infantry armor free.

Castles are always good, most UUs are fairly good, those that are bad typically suffer from mass problems (e.g. Huskarl which can’t rly be massed from 1 Castle). The 650s required and the requirement to get multiple techs to make the Castle unit work are simply too much for early/mid Castle Age ecos.

1 Like

Does this unit have 3 base p.armor?

Problem is the lack of something to counter skirmishers and raid. No mobility. You either need Camels with the old Indian p.armor bonus or an eagle like unit.

So a unit that costs 40 food base speed 1.2, base melee armor 1, base p.armor 3 (rises to 4 for elite), base attack 4 (rises to 6 for elite), 10 bonus damage to cavalry (increases to 14 for elite) and either 50 gold for the hp stats you’ve mentioned or -15 hp and -10 gold, and the remaining stats (bonus against siege and eagles, blast etc) that you’ve mentioned. Now that would be a unit that’s worth going for it from castle age. Such a unit can take care of cavalry, siege and eagles but can’t really kill crossbows, just make them run away or tank the arrows till elite skirms reach there and definitely can’t kill most of the infantry uu until wootz steel is researched.

DPS was never their problem. Its the inability to stand in battles. And that property becomes even more important if you want to design them as a mid game unit.

Mostly the unique units that break the rock-paper-scissors mechanic are the ones that can justify the high gold cost - ranged units capable of killing cavalry, infantry units capable of killing ranged, cavalry units capable of clearing mass infantry.
If you want to keep the regular rock-paper-scissors mechanic in-tact, the unique unit should be quite cheap in terms of gold cost and will function purely as a late game unit. So for the attack, bonus and other mechanics, a unit with 80 hp should cost 50 food 5 gold or 40 food 10 gold and more speed with a cheap elite upgrade if it has 0 p.armor, 60 food 20 gold if it has 1 p.armor, 70 food, 40 gold if it has 3 p.armor.

The only way Dravidians don’t need a direct buff is nerfing both cavalry and crossbows, the hp of feudal age buildings and the cost of castle age tech or some serious buffs to the militia-line.
Otherwise there’s no “infantry-based” civ even though some of them are named as infantry civs. You either have civs that get enormous eco lead like Vikings or a tanky infantry unit like meso to make players use infantry.

Most mediocre bonus for land boom. More than half of the civs get equal or better bonuses for pure boom.

Malians have that already and yet no one ever goes a crazy amount of man-at-arms on most maps. They’re an average usable civ ONLY because of their strong cavalry.

Huskarls are one of the good ones because they don’t die to the units that are supposed to counter them and can be massed from barracks. Only a few UU are fairly good. The ones that are good are either very effective even in low numbers like gunpowder or have high speed and dps and is the meta unit for that civ or has some special property which adds a lot of value and complements the other bonuses of the civ very well. Rest are niche. Especially most of the infantry uu are quite unnecessary and add little value over halbs or champion for their current stats.

2 Likes

I think you have a better understanding of the cost mechanism than I do. Thanks for helping me understand it. Even the current Urumi costs don’t seem to match this calculation. Can you please explain the current cost calculation of Urumi?

This is how I approached the costing and design of Urumi 2.0 . I basically took the Urumi base stats and made it into into an Eagle which is better against Knights and weaker against cross-bows. I was hoping the increased HP will help make it survive accidentally running into cross-bow fire or castle fire. So I had the costs a bit more than Eagles according to HP and Attack.

If a unit is weaker to crossbows but better against knights, its not an eagle like unit. It has to be faster than knights to actually counter it, otherwise it doesn’t counter knights in early or mid game. It’d be good if you update it with the speed you propose. And because its weaker against crossbows, you can’t use it for raiding or killing siege in the presence of some ranged units, even a few of them. The extra hp might be enough to run away until skirmishers come to the rescue but still the unit will remain fragile. Such a unit is not worth 60 gold cost.

My rationale is either make the infantry unit low food, high gold, high speed, p.armor but low damage output. Such a unit will make an amazing unit for raiding and will justify the gold and castle investment in mid game. Could even end the game with it if you were already ahead. Eagles, Ghulam fit this description.
Or keep it high food low gold but the gold cost should be proportional to how long the unit would last in imperial age battles and what special property it has that adds value to that civ’s military. This means you can’t make a lot of these units before you have boomed well but they are quite valuable when you push with trebs, canons or rams. Like Obuchs, huskarls, first crusade free serjeants.
Most other infantry uu are not being used because they cost about 20 more food and 5 or 10 more gold but don’t offer much advantage over champions. So if it has 0 p.armor its going to die fast even to skirmishers, depending on the speed you can vary the gold cost between 5 for their current speed to 15 for eagle’s speed. At 1 p.armor its essentially the same as champion but with 30 more hp and higher damage output so a +15 food cost is justified, could be even +20 which is their current cost. As the p.armor grows you have to balance out the speed, training time and gold cost accordingly.

I don’t mind the idea conceptually, especially because I really despise Urumi as a unit. (Honestly, let’s just design a unit that only punishes units that never get used anyways)

1 Like

This is a weird argument I keep hearing all the time, but it makes no sense to me. Let us consider these units “that never gets used”. There are mainly 2, Teutonic knights and jaguar warriors. Teutonic knights are easily countered by Wootz champions. Let me repeat that, the militia line of Dravidians will cost effectively counter teutonic knights. Heck, even Wootz Halbs are pretty strong against teutonic knights.

Now, Aztecs are one of the top civs, while Dravidians are one of the bottom. So, I literally don’t care. Aztecs will destroy dravidians anyway, you don’t have to rely on that one unit.

So, which unit are you talking about? Please explain it to me.

There is one good criticism against urumis in my opinion. It is that it doesn’t do anything for the civ. It doesn’t have a strong function within the civ which is not covered by any other unit. They aren’t really overpowered in the context of the civ.

1 Like

Completely on-board with that idea. I think they wanted sound bytes for the charge, splash damage and armour ignoring. Now that they have gotten it, they need to repurpose it.

1 Like

Here is a new Urumi 2.0 based on feedback from @Pulikesi25 on cost, melee attack and raiding potential :

Urumi sword was a weapon of choice to fight multiple opponents. It was primarily used by skilled martial artists as a self defense weapon. It took years of training on other weapons and only the most proficient were trained on the Urumi steel blades. So AOE2 Urumi unit should be very good at defending themselves. Either they should be heavily armoured or have some kind of shrivamsha shield. One infantry unit that I have seen hold its own against multiple high DPS units like Knights is the teutonic Knight, I believe the Urumi should have similar stats.

Urumi 2.0 is based on the base version Teutonic Knight. Urumi should be similar to teutonic Knight in the sense that when 1vs1 it should be able to counter Knights. The costs have been adjusted to be equal. Urumi however sacrifises hit points for speed and a charge atttack. Elite Urumi kinda has the same upgrades in reduction to charge attack time, base damage, bonus damage and no armour upgrades. So upgrade cost is not modified.

Training
Cost            : 85 Food  40 Gold [**CHANGE**] Cost equal to teutonic Knight
Training time   : 12 seconds [**CHANGE**] +3 seconds. Same as teutonic Knight.
Statistics
Melee Attack    : 14, 16 (Elite) [**CHANGE**] +6 attack. Same as teutonic Knight for base Urumi.
                  +3, +4 (Elite) vs Siege [**CHANGE**] (Changed from Building and +2 added)
Rate of Fire    : 2
Melee armor     : 7 [**CHANGE**] Armour equal to teutonic Knight
Pierce armor    : 2  [**CHANGE**] Armour equal to teutonic Knight
Ability         : Charges its attack by 3 times over 24 (20 Elite) seconds and
                  [**NEW**] The charge attack recharges only when Urumi is not attacking.
                  [**NEW**] Once charge attack is made on enemy unit, Urumi armour both melee
                  and pierce will stop working. Armour again starts working when the charge is full.
                  [**NEW**] Blacksmith armour upgrades and armour ignoring attacks don't apply to Urumi armour. 

Urumi 2.0 will have the same cost, damage output and armour as a teutonic knight. But less hit points and more speed. This shows how valuable Urumi unit is and its self-defence capabilities.

Urumi gets bonus damage against cavalry and Siege. This guides the players to decide on exactly what to use the Urumi against given its very high costs.

The charged first strike has been bumped to 3 times the normal melee damage. The 3 times amount is to assist stack black-smith upgrades into the attack. The charge attack does not recharge if the Urumi unit is attacking an opponent. It only recharges when moving about, patrolling or standing still in no attack mode and not attacking. When attack animation starts, recharging pauses.
Compared to current stats, Urumi 2.0 doubles the damage it currently does. This is vital for the use of Urumi as a shock troop unit. The very high charge damage during first attack can make Urumi act like a slightly faster petard against Siege and very fast raiders like light cav, steppe lancer and Shrivamsha riders.

The armour is for self-defense only and switches off when Urumi starts attacking an opponent. Once Urumi unleashes first strike on an opponent, the high melee and pierce armours stop working. Urumi heath reduces for every damage received like a unit with zero melee and pierce armour. Thus making Urumi armourless and completely vulnerable and open after the first strike. This will be the most unique feature of the Urumi and its ultimate weakess when used as an offensive unit.
The armour does not start working again till the charge attack is full. Intermediate periods of rest does help recharge, but will pause if interrupted by attacking opponent. So micro helps a lot if Urumi’s charge attack and self-defense shield need to be maximized. With proper micro, against high DPS units like palladin and cataphract, Urumi can run away in no attack stance, recharge to full and turn back to deliver a devastating charge attack.
Urumi swordsmen armour is a proxy for their high self-defense skill. So Blacksmith armour upgrades don’t apply to them. Their armour is also not affected by armour ignoring attacks from Leitis, obuch and ‘woots steel’.

The charge damage and armour mechanism makes Urumi a better defensive unit than an offensive unit. The costs too justify such a capability. With this change, the Urumi will be tied with Teutonic Knight as the costliest infantry unit.

The idea is to defend against skirm/archer+knight push or monk+siege push with a combination of Skirm + Urumi defense. Urumi is made into this unique shock troop unit which takes out points of pressure like siege as well as defend against Knight raids.

One on one, Knight and Urumi should take each other out in 7 hits and whoever engages first should win. Thus be a soft counter. Cavalier will be better than Urumi But Elite Urumi should equalise it.

Light cav without bloodlines are not good counters to Siege push when siege is protected by archers. Urumi should be able to snipe siege even when Siege is protected by archers like Knights do conventionally. I have worked the charge mechanism to take out mangonels and onagers in 1 hit.

With these changes, Urumi is not a very snow-balling unit to be used only in mass battles because of high cost. They can be used individually in defensive and offensive roles. They can be massed if cost is not a concern. Massing Urumis might become a win condition as well for a Dravidian player like palladin is for frank players.

1 Like

This makes absolutely no sense.

Go watch the display of urumi battle on youtube.

You can’t just completely ignore how the weapon works if you name a unit after it. It’s impossible to use this weapn effectively heavily armored.
And the urmi isn’t a heavy damage weapen (though the current game design already defies that, which I think is weird). It’s a weapon that deals very little damage but in rapid succession and is incredibly difficult to defend against.

That’s why I proposed to make urmumi just constantly attack (while moving/stationary) and with a better ROF. I think this would also fit better into the whole dravidian army comp for a variety of reasons I don’t want to go deep here. Mostly also because this “attack while moving” thing would add some mobile utility that dravidians lack otherwise.
But most importantly, this would be a perfect way to display the unique way of fighting with this weapon in the game. It’s the kind of feature that makes a unit an “icon”.

Dravidians don’t need a Knight counter, their Halb line is absolutely sufficient for that. They need their own mobile tools.

1 Like

This is an interesting point of view.

For Urumi remake, I have suggested that it can deal multiple damage in one attack to represent the damage caused by the bending and bouncing blade back and forth, so that its attack stat is X (Y). That way, even if X isn’t high enough, it does at least 1*Y damage. The difference is because I think as a weapon that requires a lot of swinging in a wide range, it should have a lower rate of fire, but always has trample damage and doesn’t need the charge mechanic.

The high armour is supposed to imply how good Urumi were in self-defense. Urumi was a self-defense weapon for expert wielders.

The modification was based on existing game mechanics and some historical accuracy. The primary motive was to provide Dravidians with a one on one Knight replacement. Which means:

• which can take out siege like a knight does even when archers are present.
  • which can take out siege when they are under a castle like knights and cavalry do.
  • run away from Halbs, long swordsmen and archers when situation is not to their advantage
  • At start of castle age, run across the map and take out scots/light cav etc

I had a couple of use cases for Urumi redesign.

1. The 3x charge attack takes out mangonel in a single strike. Elite Urumi takes out Onager in single strike.
  2. Urumi and Knight take each other out in 7 hits and Elite vs cavalier do so in 6 hits. So both are soft counters to one another.

Please make your use case for the all time attack mode.

I think I’ve made my case why Knight replacement for Dravidians is the Urumi. Its not a 1v1 fight I’m looking at. Knight is like a civ bonus which Draviidans lack. Pikes can’t fill that role. Urumi at full speed will be as fast as an Eagle warrior. So the mobility aspect is addressed with these changes too.

It’s super useful in all cases where the opponent has ranged units. Cause you can deal damage while dodging. Also against microed ranged units as you can damage them continously. Especially useful against siege, as siege is often body-blocked by other units. The Urumi don’t care, you don’t give them a reorder against the bodyblocked units if necessary.
It’s also super strog for raiding, you can even walk along walls and slowly damage them whilst using your mobility to get a better angle

Also if one of the sides retreats it’s an advantage as it can damage while moving.

Countless unique utiliteis with this feature.

1 Like

I agree with this observation. The current heavy armour of 7 is meant to be a proxy to exhibit self-defence skill of Urumi swordsmen. We can make black-smith infantry armour upgrades not apply to Urumi.

Does it matter that Urumi is continuously attacking or not once its close to ranged unit? Even if Urumi is continously attaking, when it moves to dodge projectiles it will move away from enemy units. A charge attack works better to take out low HP ranged units in one go.

If Siege is body blocked by other units, any unit let alone the Urumi will attack the other unit first then go for siege. During this time, archers or castle fire will take out Urumi. With the self-defense armour mechanism, Urumi can be tasked to directly go for the siege which is attacking ignoring other units and taking only minor damage due to high proxy armour.

This is laughable man. Other than ranged units, only Step lancers can do damage beyond walls. A Urumi has to break through walls. If its walking along walls, its just target practice for archers. We can make a mod replacing Urumi blade with large brush skin. Urumi can clean or paint the wall walking alongside it.

This applies for archers. But Dravidian weakness is not archers. Cavalry will fight back if you run along them.

I just don’t like the charge attack

It feels just unfair and is also way too snowbally - in both directions.
It doesn’t fit an infantry unit and especially not the urumi
 the urum actually needs some time to set up his weapon movement, it’s actually the total opposite of a charge

Only if you try to misunderstand it, man.

Again, how can you misunderstand it so heavily?
I talked about retreating armies. And it’s clear that urumi can’t even catch up to retreating cavalry.
But if your own urumi retreat from cavalry, they would still damage the cavalry, so it wouldn’t be as bad as with other infantry units when you try to retreat.

I also never stated that I want the urumi to counter cavalry. I actually said, that the Halbs of Dravidians are absolutly sufficient enough for that. They don’t need Urumi for that. Really.

2 Likes

Thats a good point. It will also make the unit quite survivable. But you need to finish off enemy units which is an unsolved problem. With this continuous attack ON, Urumi may damage Siege But won’t destroy it. Some archers or a Knight will still be needed to take it out.

1 Like

Every melee unit takes out siege in reasonable amount of time (even halbs in the lategame).
The problem is usually more to actually get to the siege :wink:
I mean, we are mostly talking about trebs, onagers, bbcs, no? Cause against Rams (+infantry) Dravidians don’t need any help, their other infantry is already strong enough there.

If you don’t pay attention this might happen yes. You could try to add ranged support to the urumi which fits dravidians theme. The question is ofc if that synergy works out effectively

Otherwise you would need to redirect the urumis constantly to make sure they clean up the targets they are supposed to.

But I actually like that effect
 Would make it intersting/revarding to play/micro with that unit. Totally different than with all the other stuff in the game.

AOE2 community knows Dravidians as a Civ needs quite a few improvements to be playable on Land maps. They have a poor tech tree and unit composition to respond to knights. I have tried to make Urumi and Elite Urumi counters to Knights and cavalier. The inspiration was a Sandy peterson interview where he said Unique Units were supposed to overcome the rock paper scissor rule and fix a handi-cap the civ had.

Urumi sword was a weapon of choice to fight multiple opponents. It was primarily used by skilled martial artists as a self defense weapon. It took years of training on other weapons and only the most proficient were trained on the Urumi steel blades. So AOE2 Urumi unit should be very good at defending themselves. Either they should be heavily armoured or have some kind of shrivamsha shield. The flow movements themselves provided evading tactics to the urumi. In this current version, I’ve made the charge bar a proxy for Urumi self-defence capabilities.

This version is a conservative re-work of the urumi swordsmen stats. The current stats have been maintained as much as possible. The primary changes are @casusincorrabil idea of a higher rate of fire and no armour increase. The previous idea of a proxy self-defense mechanism and @Pulikesi25 idea of a speed boost by 0.1 tps:

Attack rate:

• Rate of fire is increased to 1 effectively doubling damage.

Charge bar works like Srivamsha shield:

• The Charge bar of urumi kinda also works like a Shrivamsha Shield in addition to calculating time for charge attack trigger. The charge bar absorbs damage at the same amount it may deal to the enemy unit.

• Enemy attack on Urumi both melee and Pierce will reduce charge attack bar first before reducing Urumi’s real health bar.

• Only When Charge bar is full, urumi can do charge attack.

• For charge bar to recharge, Urumi should not be attacking. Charge bar pauses immediately when Urumi attack animation starts. It only recharges when moving about, patrolling or standing still in no attack mode and not attacking.

• For Normal Urumi, Charge attack bar also provides health of 12 hit points which is same as charge damage effectively changing health to max 67 when trained and deployed from castle. For Elite urumi, Charge attack bar provides a health of 15 hit points the charge damage as it is currently effectively changing health to 80. The cost have been adjusted accordingly.

Training
Cost            : 85 Food  25 Gold [**CHANGE**]  Increase food by 20 and Gold 5
Training time   : 12 seconds [**CHANGE**] Increase time by +3 sec
Statistics
Melee Attack    : 8, 10 (Elite)  same as now
                  +1, +2 (Elite) vs Siege [**CHANGE**] (Changed from Building)
Rate of Fire    : 1 [**CHANGE**] (Changed from 2) 100% faster
Melee armor     : 1 
Pierce armor    : 0 
Ability         : Charges its attack by 12 (15 Elite) damage over 24 (20 Elite) seconds and
                  [**NEW**] The charge bar is also a damage avoiding bar.
                  [**NEW**] The charge bar recharges only when Urumi is not attacking.
                  [**NEW**] Once charge attack is made on enemy unit, the bar becomes empty.

I’ve made the charge bar a multi-purpose utility of giving the Urumi some damage absorption capabilities.

Urumi get bonus against Cavalry and Siege. This helps players know what units to use the Urumi against.

Urumi get bonus damage against Knights, With the changed rate of fire, the urumi still maintain their soft counter capabilites vs Knights.

Urumi with their high bonus damage vs Siege. They are a hard counter for Dravidian weakness against Siege in castle age.

The zero pierce armour is a problem. But mitigated a little by the extra HP which recharges when not attacking. The calculation comes out to the effect of 1 pierce armour. So the cost increase by 5 gold.

The unit is expensive by 20 food. So its not easy to mass in castle age. But can be a good win condition in imperial age.

The charge attack is not so snowballing since urumi costs and training time has increased.

Dravidians get a truly unique counter to Knights and siege in castle age with this design.

If you see the figures on top right of the image, urumi will hard counter Knights. They will always win 1vs 1. But lose to cavalier 1 vs 1. Thus a counter in castle age.

Woots urumi or Elite Urumi will eat up cavalier which is logical due to the huge difference in upgrade costs.

Palladin however will overcome Elite urumi with Woots. Thus restoring balance of resources and gameplay.

Urumi and Elite Urumi can take out a mangonel and Onager even if a knight tries to stop urumi. K and P column values which represent number of hits to take out mangonel and onager are always less than number of hits Knight\cavalier will take to Kill Urumi. So they hard counter siege.

Please vote on the poll and share your feedback on this Urumi 2.0 re-design.

Should Urumi be designed to counter Dravidian weakness to Knights and Siege?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If Urumi is redesigned, it better be an Eagle3.0 instead of TK2.0

1 Like