Using the side mouse buttons in an RTS?

Hello guys,

I also play a lot of MMO and so I have a mouse with 12 buttons on the side. Do you think its good to use these and how?

For example a lot of people have TC = 4, barracks = 5 … but I find these kind of hard to hit since they are for far away from the grid keys. What do you think about binding the production buildings to the mouse side buttons?

1 Like

Yeah if you have that many buttons using them for production buildings is a good idea.

1 Like

12 buttons??? This should be ilegal xD
Jokes aside, if you can use them, use them. You gotta find what works best for you. Binding the production buildings to the side buttons sounds like a really good idea so i sould say go for it, give it a go and see if it works for you.

1 Like

I use it a lot, use your mouse program and link it to keyboard letters
Note: the only unsportsmanlike thing is to create automated actions, don’t do it

imagen

1 Like

For slower pace micro RTS like AoE4, i think more mouse buttons are less punishing than for higher pace ones like Starcraft. I’ve experimented with tens of mice for RTS. There higher button count ones tends to come with the downside of heavier weight which can be very straining for some fast repetitious micro sequences. I’ve never managed to control more than 4 buttons with my thumb without the need to reposition it ever so slightly, lowering the overall mouse accuracy during the transition movement. Thumb buttons generally forces a temporary claw-grip instead of a more RTS ideal finger grip as well. I find that reserving the possibility for temporary claw-grip transition lowers the performance of my fingergrip as well, but it’s a trade I’m happy to take. Pressing any mouse button also comes with a strain in the hand that lowers mouse accuracy ever so slightly; When I can, I bind left-click to the keyboard for this reason, but then again, I think it matters less in AoE4.

I’ve got small hands, and I struggle with hitting far away keys on the keyboard - I never go beyond the 4-R-F-C line. Personally, the mouse hotkeys is invaluable to me, but I still try to use the keyboard as much as possible since it’s generally faster. By using combinations of ctrl, shift and alt with the regular grid keys, you can give them 8 times more functionality without the need to move your fingers away from your anchor points. Rearranging ctrl and shift to easier to access buttons like caps and tab has helped me tremendously in this endeavor. It can also be helpful to have a custom button that acts as a combination of alt-ctrl or something similar to make it a fewer finger action.

I only have 2 but i use them to cycle tcs and to find idle villagers.

I have the Razer Naga with 12 side buttons. It is very useful to set and use control groups. I have also remapped building selection to shift+ side buttons and works very well.

1 Like

If you do not want to be a pro-pro.

nums [5-9], 0 - use them as control groups, you will be easily use all 10 numbers, that’s huge. [1-4 on keyboard]

for [1-4] +11+12 to change for smth rare, but usefull: market selection, all naval selection, select all scouts/monks. smth like that.