Voiceover RoR: ancient languages

Yes, that is, the devs give them the languages they like… if they put modern languages, for me is fine and if they give them original languages (whether unique or reused from AoE 2/AoM) even better…

Why all the modern languages?

I like the idea but we should go for the ancient language recreations.
Putting in Arabic for the Hittite is like putting in English for the Romans, or Spanish for the Vikings.

Also worth mentioning that a modern successor of the Egyptian language still exists today, it is called Coptic.

5 Likes

Because it’s easier to port from AoE 2 to RoR…also I searched and several ancient civs from the iron age spoke languages that are already in AoE 2…

That’s true… if they can include ancient languages, better, but if they include semi-modern languages, I wouldn’t complain… listening to the Carthaginians speaking Berber would be curious, but it wouldn’t be bad either… the Phoenicians could speak Hebrew and not necessarily Arabic… the rest of the civs could speak Arabic or their respective languages…

Why not Aramaic? That was their main language.

And what would be the problem?

3 Likes

Yes, it could be, but it would be modern Aramaic…

Since it’s extinct, we don’t know how it might sound…

1 Like

I didn’t know that, that is correct.

The language was used in that famous Mel Gibson movie so it’s documented enough. Maybe better than pre-islamic arabic

But why modern?

Ok, not 100%, but we could make an approximation… That’s an Indoeuropean language after all, and a well-recorded one.

Yeah, Aramaic was the lingua franca of most of the Middle East before the Muslim conquests. So it’s far from an obscure language. This was probably the main language of Jesus himself.

1 Like

For Minoans, only Linear B was decryphed but some sounds are known

Minoan language

Because it would be more understandable under the most modern standards xd…

Sure, you can always do something approximate…

It looks complex…sounds like somewhere between Greek and Hindi (normal being an Indo-European language)…

This would be Sumerian…

This would be Ancient Egyptian (not sounds like in AoM)…

This would be Akkadian (here can enter all the Middle Eastern civs)…

Why? I don’t understand your point.

But in some of these cases we actually can make very good estimations. The History of the evolution of this languages is known quite well.

That there are people who wouldn’t understand what the units say, but that’s okay… if the devs want to include ancient languages, they should do it, that’s fine by me…

Ok, if you see it viable, go ahead…

That will ways be the case. Unless you know someone who can speak 50 languages :rofl:

To be honest, if they aren’t willing to do a decent work with the languages, I’d prefer if they don’t change anything at all

Ancient languages instead of modern ones would be expected, you wouldn’t expect the Romans to speak modern italian for example.

In AOE2 often late medieval languages are spoken, still understandable to some extend but it feels like the language spoken at the time. Not like in AOE2 that ends in the 19th century so units speak modern languages.

1 Like

Yes, there must be a lot of polyglots out there xd…

Yes, we are debating on the air and we don’t even know if the devs have it in mind…

True, but the Romans can be expected to speak Latin, of which we have hundreds of texts and linguists…

That’s true, some words are understandable…

Wouldn’t it be AoE 3? AoE 2 ends in the 16th century xd… but yes, in AoE 3 all the languages are understandable because they are languages that are used today…

You’re correct, typo error :upside_down_face:

Now yes latin is tricky as except its pronunciation, it barely changed at all as classical texts are still used as the reference. Maybe I should have used the example of classical greek and modern greek, greek players and people who studied classical greek would expect classical greek instead of modern greek even though others wouldn’t see the difference.

Yes, but with classical Greek there is no problem because you can reuse it from the AoM and that’s it…

Voulome ? Prostagma !

Classical greek should be one of the easiest ones to make, to find someone to write a few lines and speak them, given how much it’s studied. Copypasting lines from AOM might feel weird as some are quite iconic.

Of course, it wouldn’t be bad anyway, since it’s classical Greek, but the idea would be to give it a tone more in line with AoE 1/AoE 2… in AoE 3, for example, to save costs, you have many units and civs that use the same voices that they have in AoE 2, so it wouldn’t be a problem either…

We don’t need to understand what they say. It’s historic flavor, not a movie. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes