Vote kick laggy players option

Hello all of you folks. Since we have been without too much information, I’m less active but I always read to see if we get any good news about the game hehe …

While I do that, I play Aoe2 HD … and there’s something that bug me a lot . It’s 2017 and yet, there are unplayable matches because of laggy players, if the game was ranked, and the game de-sync, the game automatically ends, no one gets punished but our time is lost for ever. even if you were winning, now you are not.

Would be awesome to us, to let us kick a player with connection issues inside of the game, I’m not talking about vote kick any time we would want to, I’m talking about that the game detects automatically a problematic player and if this player doesn’t fix his connection, we could have the option to kick him out to prevent the ending of the game because of de-sync, I see no use to the “wait, continue and play” options if the players persist in the same problem over and over . and I think that any player can make themselves laggy any time to make a match end sooner… Just an idea I wanted to share, have a nice day all of you.

Edit : forgot the most important part of this message, this feature I’m talking about, is meant to be introduced in Aoe1: DE of course, like a new feature to prevent this common issue, didn’t mean to talk about age2 issues in this section of the forum.

@Cysion

Normally you can spot the laggers in the lobby and those that suddenly start lagging usually have the manners/politeness to leave. But you are right you sometimes get somebody who doesn’t ‘get out’ when lagging hard.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
Normally you can spot the laggers in the lobby and those that suddenly start lagging usually have the manners/politeness to leave. But you are right you sometimes get somebody who doesn’t ‘get out’ when lagging hard.

And the most common case is, everyone is doing awesome, but out of nowhere, a random player starts to lag so hard that the game can’t even move, I was remembering that in aoe1, the game would just kick you after 3 attempts… i think thats the best choise, a improved mechanism to auto kick a laggy person without affect the rest.

Living where I do, ping is a huge problem, since more often than not everyone else is in Europe or America. I basically always have “lag” in any online games. Yet when others encounter even half the same amount, it’s game over/they leave etc. I also think that games should be able to handle such ping issues without going into “non response mode” which seems to happen a bit.

@Penelinfi said:
Living where I do, ping is a huge problem, since more often than not everyone else is in Europe or America. I basically always have “lag” in any online games. Yet when others encounter even half the same amount, it’s game over/they leave etc. I also think that games should be able to handle such ping issues without going into “non response mode” which seems to happen a bit.

That’s right, the reason of the lag and de-sync issues is because, when the game starts, all the players, lets say that 8 players, are in tempo, when someone begins to lag so hard, it starts to get behind, thats why the game auto pause itself to prevent further de-sync, but since everyone it “continue and play” and the player persist with its lag issues, it continue to de-sync to a point where its almost unsyncable, what is true, is that “tolerance” of syncing is pretty small, normally, a game is “almoooooost” playable with 250 ms ping … and that is with some minor delays and issues, after 250ms, it begins to get unresponsive, so another thing is the game speed, the slower the speed is, the more stable the game is, and this is because, if the game is running @ 1.0 speed, takes longer to lose its syncing, while in max speed 2.0 . is very easy to left some lagging player behind and make the game lose its sync with the rest of the players.

a yellow ping, is not really and issue, the issue here is mostly packet loss and ping above 300ms or even 500ms . in that case, i think that the easier way to fix this, is that the game just kick automatically the affected player to prevent de-sync of the match. I think that this topic is very important, but i’m sure that none of you would like to spend like 2 hours in an awesome game, and some player start to lagging hard enough to end the match. If you have any ideas to share to fix this common problem, I would like to read your comments, thanks :smiley:

Let’s hope Rich Geldreich Jr does a good job at preventing errors in the first place:(https://www.ageofempires.com/news/meet-team-rich-geldreich-jr-senior-engineer/https://www.ageofempires.com/news/meet-team-rich-geldreich-jr-senior-engineer/”)

In any case, it would be great to have an option to let the players pause the game and then vote to accept a new player mid-game, who can take over a CPU or disconnected human’s place.
It’s so sad when you’re playing with friends and someone de-syncs and you’re too far in to want to restart, it would be awesome for that person to be able to come back in and take their civ back.

This wouldn’t have as much use when playing against strangers, but the ability to hop into an in-progress game with your friends would be invaluable.

@sonictimm

That would be awesome … re connect option should be a must

I think the best option would be to vote for the player with lag being banned, something more democratic (If I’m not mistaken it’s the same system that is used in AOE 2 HD). Perhaps the reconnection attempt is possible once or twice at the maximum for the player to try to re-connect the internet and return.

In fact the fact that you can save the game and continue later is a great option, there is nothing wrong with this system, what is wrong is the size of lag between games because of problems in the code! (Thanks Skybox)

@UnknownMortal said:
I think the best option would be to vote for the player with lag being banned, something more democratic (If I’m not mistaken it’s the same system that is used in AOE 2 HD). Perhaps the reconnection attempt is possible once or twice at the maximum for the player to try to re-connect the internet and return.

In fact the fact that you can save the game and continue later is a great option, there is nothing wrong with this system, what is wrong is the size of lag between games because of problems in the code! (Thanks Skybox)

Lets be honest, how many times did you recovered a lost match ? nobody joins again. that system is kind of useless imo . and no, you cant vote kick in age2, what you can do is wait or report yourself, if you dont report yourself i think you get kicked but, lots of players are laggy as hell and yet they keep pressing, “continue” xD…

@kylobeetle said:

@UnknownMortal said:

Lets be honest, how many times did you recovered a lost match ? nobody joins again. that system is kind of useless imo . and no, you cant vote kick in age2, what you can do is wait or report yourself, if you dont report yourself i think you get kicked but, lots of players are laggy as hell and yet they keep pressing, “continue” xD…

Have the option to leave the game, continue or save or exit are the most possible within an RTS scenario, in which other game of that genre did you see different systems of that? I do not think even Blizzard classics exist! And that will not be a problem if they solve the code problems, as I said before.

@UnknownMortal You re right, about the code, that may fix everything, I didn’t see another way from any other RTS game, just giving ideas, hopefully if they fix the code, everything going to be okay.

There could always be a passive aggressive “Suggest You Leave” button :neutral:

@sonictimm said:
Let’s hope Rich Geldreich Jr does a good job at preventing errors in the first place:(Meet the Team! Rich Geldreich Jr, Senior Engineer - Age of EmpiresMeet the Team! Rich Geldreich Jr, Senior Engineer - Age of Empires”)

In any case, it would be great to have an option to let the players pause the game and then vote to accept a new player mid-game, who can take over a CPU or disconnected human’s place.
It’s so sad when you’re playing with friends and someone de-syncs and you’re too far in to want to restart, it would be awesome for that person to be able to come back in and take their civ back.

This wouldn’t have as much use when playing against strangers, but the ability to hop into an in-progress game with your friends would be invaluable.

That would be awesome … re connect option should be a must these days .

@sonictimm said:
Let’s hope Rich Geldreich Jr does a good job at preventing errors in the first place:(Meet the Team! Rich Geldreich Jr, Senior Engineer - Age of EmpiresMeet the Team! Rich Geldreich Jr, Senior Engineer - Age of Empires”)

That would be awesome … re connect option should be a must

far too many times in RTS games that desync, but sometimes it’s not the person, it’s the game (especially late game), so how would you tell ?