šŸ—³ VOTE NOW! 1v1 Ranked Map Rotation - December 01!

Not sure what elo they use but they should use Glicko-2 system, it is far more accurate. Also I think the map type elo is a great idea but the would have to keep the map pool, else it would become redundant because everyone would play Arabia.

You could use a weighted system, like 20% is the average of all your map types (as opposed to an all map elo) and the other 80% is the elo for the map type. With better map pool system, as in I havenā€™t seen man approve of the bans, preferences system we have now, the weighting should work, especially with Glicko-2.

If my memory serves me correctly ā€œWin streaks generate more eloā€ and the new player or hasnā€™t played map type ever or in a long time, is already implemented. Including not gain lots of elo against one player if you happen to match with the one player alot in a small span of games.

True but wont most people ban migration in favour of more standard water maps, unless like Patitio says they hate water. Rivers not getting votes is surprising considering the calls for Black Forest 1v1.

2 Likes

i dont see migration?

Go to the top to the Maps the Devs choose (Map1 Arabia, Map2 Arena). Swipe them to the side to see Map3 and Map4

I think most water maps wont make it the map pool. Four Lakes is the only exception. Rivers isnt really considered as a good map by many users, so i can understand no one really vote for that map. Water maps and hybrid maps arent that popular.

Currently we dont have such system. So win streaks wont generate more elo in the current system.

I was refering to Glicko-2, bad paragraphing on my part. I should have restated that I meant Glicko-2.

I get they arenā€™t as popular, my point is a) that Patito is right people just hate water maps, and b) that rivers is similar to black forest, thus with the calls by some for black forest one would expect more votes for it. So yes rivers isnā€™t considered good and neither is black forest (at least for 1v1).

I think water maps arenā€™t that popular because people see them as too difficult to play because is another set of mircoing and meta to learn.

Then i agree.

The current rating has some issues. 1v1 rating seems pretty accurate, but TG rating is pretty bad. I made my own thread about this issue as well:

So i support every suggestion that will fix this issue. I have heard about Glicko-2 (or TrueSkill). Both systems claim to be more accurate than just the Elo system. I havent really looked into those two systems, but based on their claims, both might be the solution of the current issues.

Yeah, most players seem to prefer open land maps. Closed maps are seen as boring.
I with the lack of different units and thus strategies are the reason why people dont really like water maps. Too difficult isnt really part of the issue.

Awhile back I read the math and explain of Glicko-2, and I have seen it in practice on lichess.org, and from experience would say it is pretty darn accurate. The Eloā€™s system is very flawed but that is because it used beyond his intended use.

Yet plenty of people ban MegaRandom, because they donā€™t want to have play water, among other things like picking the wrong civ and feeling like they donā€™t know how to play the map. The ā€œdifficultā€ is less with the playing (though mircoing water units for years was complete pain because of pathing, that legacy lingers in the perception of water maps, in my opinion) and more with deviation from the standard. For me personally, Iā€™d rather not play a map like islands because the rushing is different, get units across, landing instead of shipping units. However, from playing Continental on AoE 1, I like building an eco of fishing, I find it more ā€˜funā€™ (so to speak). And just to beat a dead horse ('cause I am cruel like that :stuck_out_tongue: ) it is the perception of difficult and/or having to learn something else, an aversion to change you could say, more than any actually difficulty, that puts people off. But maybe I am wrong, I have played this game for years, but only in the last 3 years did I get into the online scene, so maybe I donā€™t have a grasp of the community vibe.

I dont really know if this is the real reason why water maps are not really popular.

Old water balance didnt had fire ships in feudal. There was just one strategy for full water maps: Fast feudal into galleys. The winner of the grush (galley rush) would almost surely wins the game. There was no real way back into the game. These games where pretty one dimensional. There wasnt a big range of different strategies. This one dimensional play makes it pretty boring for most players.

HD added the fire ships in the feudal so it would open up more options, but this decision didnt do much. Galleys were replaced by fire ships, but it is still about winning the water early is still almost surely winning the game.

For me that is the reason why people dont really love ful water maps. It is too one dimensional. As result most people dont really look into the water meta and just ignore water maps if possible. Some hybrid maps get some love (like we see with Four Lakes), but most full water maps dont get any attention of most players.

This post is at least my view on why people dont like water maps.

I have read about it once, some time ago. I havent seen it in practise, but it looks really promosing.

1 Like