Wallensteins contract needs a rework

Hell no. Who want 1 pop fully upgraded jaegers with 1 pop fully upgraded landsketch ?

The Swedes are much more OP with mercenaries.

you’re spending maybe 10 cards for a saving of maybe 20000 gold, to give an example then 20% plantation card with 40 villagers will give you a little under 5000 gold every 30 minutes, and germany can overheat their economy significantly so for them its probably more like 7000 gold by treaty end just from 1 eco card.

a factory is even more at about 13000 resources every 30 minutes, so sending 2 factories has already gained you the same resources as sending those mercenary cards.

then there is the fact that this would significantly slow down your age up, a big no no in treaty. and the fact that mercenary units just aren’t that great in treaty unless they are extremely specific like mamelukes.

3 Likes

Unit cards are not used in the 40 treaty, unless they are infinite. And generally of natives so that they do not count as population. The power of the mercenaries becomes a bit irrelevant.

1 Like

No quite, German mercenaries are much stronger then the Swedish counterparts because of the age 3 20% HP and 20% attack on them.

The difference is that German can’t really mass a lot of mercenaries, and Swedes can do it on later stages of the game.

Yeah, I don’t know. It’s maybe just my dumb supremacy player side that can’t wrap my head around those super strong German mercenaries being irrelevant.

I will still try out some strategies like that on treaty and see how it goes.

I mean instead of highlander and harquebusier I would say let them able to train all German mercenaries at the tavern.

Or alternativly to keep the cards purpose just make it apply to infinite mercenary cards and even natives. Just all cards that cost coin.

Giving them the German mercs would be kinda pointless. Tanky dragoon, turbo doppel and stronger skirm doesnt add anything to the German line-up. Its also basically discount Sweden.
Making it work on everything isnt a real solution either. Those age IV shipments are rarely used and arrive to slow and hold up too much supply to be really usefull. Even it they were “free” you still are unlikely to add them to your deck besides meme strategies.

2 Likes

generally speaking a mercenary unit in the game comes with stats not too dissimilar from an imperial age unit of its type.

as an example jaegers got the following stats:

Hp: 250

resist: 40%

ranged dmg: 30

while a base imperial skirmisher skirmisher comes with these stats:

Hp: 240

resist: 30%

ranged dmg: 30

so the unit is essentially the same just with slightly more resist, with about as many upgrades you can pour into them as possible they get to i think 55-56 dmg (50% imperial politician, 20% from HC card and 15 from arsenal). that means that even with all avialable upgrades they dont even get to twice the dmg of a purely imperial age skirmisher, and skirmisher obviously can also add on top of their dmg which usually will find them somewhere around the mid to high 30s (german skirm as an example gets to 34 dmg).

mamelukes are special because of their extreme resist and HP, they are able to get to the mid 2k range in HP with a 40% range resist making them far far better tanks than hussars which even Sweden cant get close to that point and where they top out at around 848 hp with 20% resist.

4 Likes

I agree, which is why…

1 Like

Arriving quicker is allready done by the Swedes (again). I’d prefer the Germans getting something the Swedes aren’t allready doing even if it is something simple like faster merc shipments.
I don’t know how OP the infinite shipments becoming free would be, the army shipments are pretty bad. Having to send multiple cards before becoming usefull doesnt sound like good design either.

When I play DM, I used that letter, it seemed great to me, I don’t know if I’ll be stupid or they would have patched it, but I remembered that infinite shipments were free with that letter.

But now that you say well the truth is that if it is useless to investigate that technology

If anything that’s a sign that Sweden got too many merc buffs, doesn’t mean that Germany should be restricted access to some of them through special means. In line with this, I think that their main distinctive mercenary perk is recruiting them from regular buildings, which shouldn’t be replicated in my opinion.

2 Likes

What if instead of altering Germans merc cards they add a special German merc musketeer that is only available to them?

2 Likes

Sweden does do the mercenary game a lot better than the Germans, especially in the late game. But Given the Germans similar stuff doesnt seem like a proper solution. The European factions are similar enough as is. Im sure there is room for something new we havent thought of yet instead of just giving something from another faction to the Germans.

Could be, but there are allready other musketeer like mercenaries that could be used. Using Highlanders or Fusiliers for example would save work-load. There was stated that working on older civs isnt really in the budget and is basically extra work if they have time to spare.

The solution is not proposed at random. Germany gets extra mercs x shipment, this cannot be fully taken advantage of in the late game (when you get the infinite merc cards) because the shipments take long to arrive, restricting your possibilities for using that pop space timely. This would be somewhat solved by having the possibility to reduce the shipment time of arrival with Wallensteins Contract.

2 Likes

I just don’t think it’s a good idea to just give the Germans a Swedish perk, even if it is through a card/tech. There are two EU factions with a mercenary subtheme, surely there’s a better way to buff Wallenstein’s and the Germans on the mercenary front than just simply taking a perk from the superior merc faction? Every faction besides Sweden has those slower merc shipments, but the good merc cards get taken anyway slow or not. If you reach the very late game you don’t want to be depending on merc shipments to form your army anyway.

Yeah, but we talking about the Germans, with their card that gives 20% HP and 20% attack on mercenaries, and with the bonuses from the Age 5 mercenary contractor.

But anyway… I did playtested this idea a little bit, and the people saying that you almost never can send mercenaries shipment because of the population problem where right.

This tech is just bad really. xD

Considering that the Germans do not have infinite native shipments, they could get a new shipment of infinite Highlander or Riflemen, since they lack Musketeers.

Once they do the improvement of Wallensteins contract and reach the imperial age, the mercenaries will stop costing population (Since they don’t have infinite native cards), but will have a limited creation limit. This will make infinite mercenary shipments useful in the treaty.

A separate suggestion is that they enable the bayonet upgrade in the arsenal for the Germans.

I hope they rework this when the rework arrived at the Germans.

These are my proposals in this regard, and some may conflict with others, and I am not suggesting that they all apply:

• Mercenary population reduced by -1.

• In addition to making the mercenaries free, it enables the ones you’ve already sent so far. (Because it is infeasible in most cases to invest in this improvement, since the priority is almost always to invest those coins in the mersenaries).

• Infinite-type mersenaries increase by +1 to each type of mersenary he sends out. (That is, one more unit of each type).

• The tavern mercenaries train faster, also reduce their cost.

I think all these benefits could be applied at the same time. (Revert the price to 4,000 coins).

If the Germans never have infinite natives:

• Metropolis mersenaries arrive almost instantly, cost -1 population, and are free (including infinite mersenaries).
3 Likes

The biggest weakness is the lack of exp to use the strat from wallenstein contracts.

You don’t have enough exp for all the cards you need. You end up attacking too late, and if the game drags on too long, you lose all advantage of your military strength.