We. Need. GATES

Personally I am all for gates.
They might not have been gates in AOE1, but It definetely wasn’t a perfect game and they HAVE added it to the latter games of the frenchise.

• Gates add a great tactical element to the game, like in AOE2 where you could bait the enemy and go inside their base.
  • If you don’t have gates, you can’t have a good passive defense and instead you would have to depend on your units. While that is not bad, it pretty much ruins the purpose of towers and walls.
  • It is a really big hassle to always have your units at that tiny bit of space where you just can’t build a wall, because you have to destroy it in order to get out of your OWN BASE.
    P.S.:You can’t build walls that easily, because they cost a lot, but maybe if the price is too low, they can always change it so that an early game rush is still possible.

P.s.'s P.S.:
If you want a little gap in the wall use siege weapons.

I think that gates will make the game more estrategic, more enjoyable and more realistic. So adding the gates will be all pros.

B)

I prefer no gates, that would mean you have to play more strategic.

Didn’t devs already state that there won’t be gates like there won’t be unit garrison?

I haven’t seen any official confirmation about there not being gates, but I think it’s unlikely for them to be added as they want to keep the gameplay as close to the original as possible.

Some people may think that adding gates would make gameplay too different (AOE1 hardcore players) but I believe the best way to see Definitive Edition is a reboot.
I would totally agree with the addition of gates in the game.

@qweytr24 said:
I haven’t seen any official confirmation about there not being gates, but I think it’s unlikely for them to be added as they want to keep the gameplay as close to the original as possible.

That’s a very noble but still narrow-minded way of looking at the game. Game developers should listen to the player community’s requests. The game won’t change much and won’t lose it’s value by adding some elements that were already proven to be successful. If it gives you an Age of empires feel and gameplay in general with things approved by the community it won’t be a disappointment but a more lasting and more complete experience.

@Clements said:
Some people may think that adding gates would make gameplay too different (AOE1 hardcore players) but I believe the best way to see Definitive Edition is a reboot.
I would totally agree with the addition of gates in the game.

I don’t think gates challange a hardcore player…

@qweytr24 said:

scroll to comments and look for Cysion’s (developer) comment: FE Dev’s website

@tempires said:

@qweytr24 said:

Thanks. That settles it then.

@qweytr24 said:

@tempires said:

@qweytr24 said:

They haven’t taken into account the community’s opinion yet. I can’t see why would listening to the players be problematic and changing some minor elements for the benefit of the game. If no one cares about the opinion of beta testers then beta testing is completely unnecessary.

@qweytr24 said:

Well that’s great, but i don’t think adding gates, really changes it’s originality and even if they stated that there won’t be gates, if the community sticks together, I’m pretty sure they will HAVE to listen it.

@AsunderHarp8390 said:

@qweytr24 said:

@tempires said:

@qweytr24 said:

They haven’t taken into account the community’s opinion yet. I can’t see why would listening to the players be problematic and changing some minor elements for the benefit of the game. If no one cares about the opinion of beta testers then beta testing is completely unnecessary.

The purpose of the beta test is mostly to fix bugs and game balance, not to determine gameplay features. But it is possible for new stuff to be added later. I can see AoE DE going a very similar route to AoE2 HD, where the initial release is mainly cosmetic and if it then gets popular enough they might add new stuff in DLC.

While I would really like to have gates in AoE:DE I think it would change the gameplay. So if there are no gamplay changes at all, they should not introduce gates. But if they introduce just a single new unit, it should be the gate building!

I think that gate building isn’t used by everyone and a lot of pro playing style doesn’t even use gates, but for most average players, I think gates would be a nice to have included feature! I remember wanting gates in age 1 :slight_smile:

In my Opinion gates aren’t necessary. The DE is a tribute to the old AoE, it should be original as possible.
Adding new units, building or even functions would influence the old atmosphere of the game. For instance the adding of multiple unit production in “Rise of Rome” changed the basic AoE in my opinion a lot!

Why are people asking for AOE2 features in AOE1 ? They are different games. If you want to play a game that plays like AOE2, just go and play … AOE2. Doesn’t make sense.

I don’t think gates are needed. This is aoe1, not aoe2. Wouldn’t be any fun if this turned out to be aoe2 with a new skin, we need to preserve the unique gameplay loop of aoe1. The reason people moved on to aoe2 when it came to mp was because aoe1 had terrible balance that made it’s mp potential rather limited. Preserve classic gameplay but improve balance and mp tools I say