What about Unit formations?

I’m sorry if this question have been answered before. If so, could someone provide me with a link to the answer? Thanks in advance.

We know that the team will be introducing new feeatures that wasn’t in the original game. For instance the attack-move, gather point and intelligent villagers. These are all standard RTS game features.

However, in AoE 2 & 3, they introduced a new feature: unit formations.

I was wondering, will units be able to change formation in Age of Empires Definitive Edition?

It has been discussed in another forum. Many people seem to support the concept. However, no one knows as of now if the devs will add them in.

Sources:

https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/489/unit-formations

Hope this link helps somewhat!

Well… knowing that is “remaster”, they are very limited about what they can to add as new features, there is thin line between a “remaster” and a “whole upgraded game” the idea of this project, in my opinion, is to keep most of the caracteristics we know, even some of the outdated ones, just for the sake of the nostalgia… thats why most of us are so exited about this :slight_smile:

It would be cool if you could customize your own formation and then use it. It would bring in a whole new dimension to your strategy.

I would like to see armies move in formation but break apart into a swarm during battle, and not try to get back into formation during battles (Like they do in AOE II). Only get back into formation once everyone in the army group has stopped fighting. Also, especially if the units are in a group, if some units get pulled away from the main group then it’d be nice if the whole army followed once killing any immediate threats, instead of most of the army just standing around while the peripheries keep fighting.

It would be great to be able to create a Phalanx formation with Hoplites or a Testudo-like formation with Roman legionnaires etc. or form a protective circle around a priest or other priority units, stand guard etc.

I dunno how much that would change the original game if this was implemented. Thoughts on this? Would unit formations mess with the original gameplay too much?

@Archian said:
It would be great to be able to create a Phalanx formation with Hoplites or a Testudo-like formation with Roman legionnaires etc. or form a protective circle around a priest or other priority units, stand guard etc.

I dunno how much that would change the original game if this was implemented. Thoughts on this? Would unit formations mess with the original gameplay too much?

There is going to be a classical mode, so im guessing there is a normal mode, change isn’t bad, on the contrary, it gives the game fresh air to breathe, so yes, im rooting for new changes like formations and intelligent villagers and so on, that’s the very same reason why AoE 2 was much more successful than it’s predecessor.

I think they should make formations but only for certain units, maybe even just for academy units.

Now theres a decent idea.

Formations and the way units bind together like glue when moving in AOK was one of the reasons why I didn’t like it as much as ROR.

@Archian said:

Testudo using rounded shields?

I’ve been wanting this for years> @Archian said:

I’ve been wanting this for years!
I tried doing it with a box of phalanxes around my cat, but it always falls apart quickly and only works if they all stand ground.