What define a Age of Empires Game

So, one thing I didn’t saw being discussed here yet:

What make an Age of Empires a Age of Empires game? What are the core features?

It is several playable empires? several units? villagers? resources? custom maps ? ages ?or the numbered taunts in chat?

What are your guys opinions?

@Ketoth said:
So, one thing I didn’t saw being discussed here yet:

What make an Age of Empires a Age of Empires game? What are the core features?

It is several playable empires? several units? villagers? resources? custom maps ? ages ?or the numbered taunts in chat?

What are your guys opinions?

EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT
:wink:

Let’s see. Some features in rough order of basics (unlikely to ever change) to surface (already not equally strong in all mainline titles let alone spinoffs, or could be changed without shaking up the formula too much)…

Fun activity
Game
Computer game
Strategy
Real time
Civilizations based on a common core (Very notable exception in Age of Mythology)
More than a handful to lots of civilizations that are still reasonably balanced, both possible because of the common core
Strong economic aspect, including balancing the income and spending of several different types of resources
Layered research tree, distinct ages co-dictating the phases of play
The other main factor dictating the phases is which resources are easily available and needed the most at any point
History based
Technologies and upgrades dependent on previous technologies and upgrades
Medium speed, there is an opening phase to a match where fighting plays little to no role and the game mostly functions as player vs environment
Varied maps
Maps start unexplored and fog of war
Random map generation
Edit: Mouse and keyboard controls
Competitive
Campaigns
A single type of economic unit that gathers all resources and does all or most of the building
Infantry, Archers (and other light ranged units), Cavalry, Siege, Monks, Ships, Defensive buildings
Food wood gold stone
Different possible player numbers, both in teams and free for all

I’m probably still missing a bunch of obvious ones, but something like that.

history
strategy
random map generation
lag :slight_smile:

Definitely history, languages, different techs, cuteness (I think tiny characters should all have chipmunk voices but that would be new, not classic), I love the map reveal as you explore and moving troops around in ships and praying they make the trip!

O and a little bit the false 3D isometric view. It’s so clean and easy to see compared to at the very least any real 3D interface from back in the same days. I will love it till the day I die, and part of me deep inside even hopes age4 will look that way. (Even though orientable zoomable well made modern 3D is pretty superior when using modern computers, I would still be that one person who rejoices if we see the first gameplay footage and it’s isometric.)

We also need the Ctrl + F12 Full Screenshot from AOE2 back. Just look at this beauty https://anamessina.deviantart.com/art/Age-of-Empires-II-Franks-Civilization-603073908

So, having posted in another thread, this is a feature I consider to be AOE lore which should be included in AOE4: resource gathering by villagers who have to walk from the resource to the collection point. This was removed from AOE3 to its loss.

Remembered one more:

Seeing the scores of other players while playing, this gives you a good idea if they are more evolved or not

One word to define AOE RTS franchise: Balance.
Games of this franchise felt more balanced compared to other. No matter how strong a civilization looked, there was always another country to counter it.

And another thing:

Ability to coop, 2 or more players playing from the same color :smiley:

funny cheat codes.-

i will compile the last after a time in the first post.

Swords , good mechanics, great audio and sound effects.

Campaign?
History?
Large playable civilizations?
Good multiplayer Options?

Remembered more:

Diplomacy
Taunts
Lots of settings for a game: Random map, deathmatch, king of the hill, wonder race, scenario etc + starting resources, age, difficulty, speed etc
Lots of victory conditions
Ability to set a game with more than 2 teams
End game stats/achievements screen with lots of info including the awesome timeline chart

^
Slinging resources - giving resources to allied players - making for unexpected tactics where a player in a team was slinged to defeat more than 1 opponent early
Ability to write AI scripts which made it into incredibly good AIs for AOE2

Despite multiplayer being the thing that makes the game infinite, History is what made the game interesting and unique, in Warcraft, there is a story, but it’s a story that humans can’t relate with.
A good campaign would be enough for me :smile:

@Reldarino said:
Despite multiplayer being the thing that makes the game infinite, History is what made the game interesting and unique, in Warcraft, there is a story, but it’s a story that humans can’t relate with.
A good campaign would be enough for me :smile:

“History”

RTS, History based with unique civilizations, lots of options for how you want to play (randomly generated maps, more than 2 players, custom maps…) , not overly complicated yet deep in strategy, map editor that can lead to insanity, interesting campaigns, maintaining economy, pure fun.

Buildings, resourses, units, ages.