What do you think has been the misoppurtunity in AOE2 by not introducing certain campaigns?

A campaign DLC could be great if there is no much room left for new civs, but there should be more than 3

I’d love to see a Japanese campaign that starts after the second historical battle we have right now. Maybe something like playing from the perspective of a random samurai under Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who’s fighting in the unification of Japan, later goes to fight in Korea and slowly changes his mind. When he’s back in Japan he switches sides and the campaign ends with either the battle of Sekigahara or the siege of Osaka, defeating his former masters.

1 Like

It is the Japanese campaign of Kichiro in aoe 3, which is already among the customs campaigns…

I definitely want a campaign for each civ missing it. And a new byzantine campaign.

7 Likes

Yes, or at least campaigns of the classic civs (Vikings, Byzantines, Turks, Japanese and Chinese)…

1 Like

I’ve always believed (since HD Forgotten came out) that Bari is a waste of a campaign for the byzantines. AoE campaings have always been about the most notable people of the respective civ: Gengis Khan, Joan of Arc, Saladin, El Cid… and that’s how many of us learnt about these characters as kids. Byznatines should have been about either Belisarius or Justinian told through the eyes of Belisarius.

I also don’t like the idea of campaigns spawning many generations, since it just doesn’t feel the same as following a character story. I still didn’t play the LotW campaigns, and I’ve heard they’re great, no doubt, but “the grand dukes of the west” and “the hautevilles” just don’t catch my attention as much as the other campaigns.

It’s not a missed oportunity per se, given how good the Saladin campaign is, but the early arab conquest would have made a good campaign. Playing as the saracens you would fight against other saracens (first scenario, ridda wars), byzantines and persians, with some berbers and franks thrown here and there as mercenaries.

6 Likes

I actually quite like the historical dynastic campaigns, either the Grand Dukes of the West, the Hautevilles, Algridas & Kestutis/Jadwiga (I consider those two as one very long campaign) or to some extent Pachacuti. Seeing the will of a family being carried through generations, or on the opposite conflicts among those families is quite interesting and a good way to cover several related (no pun intended) historical events.
I agree however that Bari is a missed opportunity.

Jadwiga even flows into Jan Zizka (final level is the same battle as the first level of Zizka), which makes that set the best planned campaign series in all of AoE2, just how well they tie together.

4 Likes

And the narrator of the Lithuanian campaign went on to marry Jadwiga.

Yes, but @Temudhun had already covered that, so I was merely commenting on the link to Zizka.

If not a Mehmed II campaign at least the scenario about the conquest of Constantinople
Also, a campaign about Harald Hardrada

2 Likes

Byzantines have been in almost constant warfare either with its neigbouring kingdoms or rebellions, but Bari is the only campaign that they have…

Of course, at first when The Forgotten came out in 2 HD I didn’t care that Bari was there, but by 2 DE, just as they changed El Dorado with Pachacuti, they could have done the same thing with Bari for Belisarius…

You don’t miss much, the Grand Dukes don’t vary too much since you have the father (John Fearless) and then the son (Philip the Good) as protagonists and then the Hautevilles campaign is more general similar to the campaigns of aoe 3 and aoe 4 that change protagonists and is based more on events than on the protagonists, that’s why you can get lost in which year each mission is set…

Of course, also that century and event has not been touched by the game (except for Dos Pilas)… the early middle age between the years 450 and 750 feels very orphaned by campaigns and don’t come to me with yamato that’s aoe 1 , and I mean aoe 2, the same happens with the 17th century in aoe 3…

Second of Jan Zizka in fact, the first of Jan Zizka occurs 5 years earlier in 1405… the last of Jadwiga and the second of Jan Zizka occur at the same time in the battle of Grumwald in 1410, but changing perspective… In Jadwiga you manage the Polish army and Jan Zizka appears as a mercenary and in Jan Zizka’s, you manage the bohemian mercenary collaborating with your Polish allies…

Of course, the narrator is Jogaila… who is the only one in the game who narrates in two different campaigns… all of Algirdas and Kestutis and the epilogue of Jadwiga’s…

Yes,Mehmet II would be fine…from the battle of Varna (1444) to the conquest of Otranto in 1480…if he was not poisoned in 1481, nothing would have prevented him from conquering Rome between 1483 and 1490…about Harald Hadrada It should start in 1030 with the battle of Stiklestad up to Stamford Bridge in 1066 and in between the various battles in which he was involved between 1035 and 1062 in the Kievan Rus,Bulgaria,the Byzantium and the Mediterranean Sea…

Yes, it gives for a whole dlc only of Byzantine theme: Belisarius in the 6th century, Leon the Isaurian in the 8th century and the Paleologian Restoration of the 13th century…

3 Likes

What would it be a good official campaign for Byzantines according to you? Did you check any custom campaign for Byzantines? Any good one to try?

Oh yeah, I forgot the actual first Zizka level.

Sure, you have Belisarius (in HD, but you can play it in DE by copying and pasting the campaign), the comnenno restoration campaign, then the wave battle of “the last romans” in constantinople…

1 Like

These are all fair observations. But I’m not holding my breath for official campaigns.There are severall excellent custom campaigns that cover some of the subjects mentioned: "Apranik- Last Warrior of the Ancient World (Persians); Janos Hunyadi (playing as the Maygars): Mehmed the Conqueror (by Mamu-La-Capuche), and Rise Ottoman Empire En — the later two you’re playing as the Turks. Currently I’m playing [Constantinople - The end of the ancient world (324-627) (Playing as the Byzantines). All of these are great campaigns and show a lot of work by their devs.

All of them are good except the Apranik one from historical standpoint but not from gameplay POV. I know history of Rashidun Conquest but never really heard of her. Only after playing Apranik, I realized Apranik campaign was a few failed guerilla warfare by Sassanids after facing defeat by Rashidun. Rest are good and still a bummer why we dont have a proper Byzantines/Ottomans/Abbasid campaigns. Byzantines Reconquista and Mehmet The Conqueror should’ve been added. Rise Of Abbasids is very important event to shaping the geopolitics at its time.

1 Like

A Belisarius campaign for the Byzantines would be dope.

1 Like

Yes, I didn’t find them, but I would have to try them…

Yes I agree…

Yes, I would change Bari for Belisarius…

2 Likes