What do you think should be the focus of the next dlc for AoE2?

That’s fair, and for my bit I’ll admit I did forget about the Gao empire; you could justify them being added in using the Gao Empire as the basis. Maybe add some gunpowder to represent their attempts to modernize?

On my recent post I proposed the Kanem. Check out the discussion.

The last features I suggested were:

Features:
-Generate gold for every killed enemy unit
-A Melee cavarly bonus
-Houses, mills and lumber and mining camps can be deconstructed
-Herding and hunting generate gold.
-Fishing traps are cheaper

Unique unit: TBD (cavarly)

Unique techs:
-Castle: Monks are faster
-Imperial: TBD

Team bonus:
-Trade carts have higher XP

Americas and Africa, maybe Japan as well

Yes, I think that one day they can touch Oceania, but at the end of AoE 2 DE’s life, when they have already touched the other continents…

Because we like to fill the world map with playable civs xd…also after the devs put Malta in AoE 3 DE, practically the sky is the limit…

That’s true…

Similar to the one they have in AoE 3 DE…

It would have to be more Yoruba+Benin (since both are close, because the Yoruba are from Nigeria just like the Hausa)…

I agree…

More than the Britons/British and the Mongols I doubt it…

The Songhai do fit AoE 2 (1464-1591), since by AoE 3 they fell into decline and were conquered by the Moroccans in 1591… during the period of AoE 3 they had the Dendi kingdom (1591-1901), but which was the shadow of what was once the songhai empire…

Yes, the Gao empire fits better than the songhai in AoE 2 (although the civ would be Songhai as a whole)…with the Gao empire you can cover the pre-1000 middle ages (800-1300 CE)…

This is good… although we would have to see how the graphics engine handles it…

1 Like

I’ve already thought about this with the Lombards, who can pack and unpack Town Centers. Basically, the various steps of the normal construction animation progress based on whether you’re packing or unpacking it.

Malians. Word limit.

2 Likes

That’s an arbitrary distinction probably motivated by the Caucasus’ being predominately Christian, it’s also based in modern conceptions of the idea of Europe. To cut to the chase would you claim that Cumans, Tatars, Huns and even Mongols are European civs because they inhabited regions of lands for centuries that are now considered part of Modern day Europe? I say they’re Middle Eastern because the Caucasus lie within Western Asia, and the vast majority of the history of the Region and it’s kingdoms is primarily situated within Western Asia. The Caucasus’ are not even mentioned or appear once in any “European” Civ campaign, but they appear in Tamerlane, and maybe some other Asian campaigns I’ve forgot

3 Likes

Wdym? They’re clearly not Slavs

The Songhai Empire notoriously lost to the Moroccan Saadi Empire because of the lack of gunpowder. So giving them gunpowder would be a huge mistake imo.

2 Likes

Yes, you actually have the packed town center unit in the scenario editor…

And obviously in AoE 3 you have the respective unit…

No, no, the Malians are more from the northwest…

No, only in Tamerlane…I already looked in other scenarios and campaigns and I didn’t find them…obviously at some point they will touch that area and we will find ourselves between the wars between the Byzantines and the Persians and Turks (527-1071), the Crusades (1095-1291) and the Mongol and Timurid invasions (1241-1402)…

Well Kh4zars/Turks then…

Sure, the Moroccans won the Battle of the Three Kings (as seen in AoE 3) over the Portuguese in 1578 thanks to supplies of gunpowder units given to them by the Ottomans…with the Portuguese threat out of the way, they could focus on the conquest of the decadent Songhai empire, which they achieved in 1591, perhaps when they are put as a playable civ in AoE 3 this will be seen, either in a card or another Moroccan historical battle…

Completely agree.They interacted with Arabs, Persians, Byzantines, Mongols, Turks, Tatars, etc. Aside from the Crusades, they were completely detached from Europe until the Russian conquest of the Caucasus in the 19th Century.

No more civs. Do some other cool things with the game for a while

Yes I know. But Hausa architecture is more like Malian architecture than Benin/Yoruba. Just take a look at Google images. Despite the differences, in the game they would be better off with the Malians.

Hausa as well as Malian architecture use adobe, suitable for the drier savannah regions of northern Nigeria. The architecture of Benin/Yoruba uses layers of puddled mud and angled thatched roofs (compare the flat roofs of the previous one), appropriate for the rainy and humid region that is close to the forest, in the south of Nigeria.

The Hausa were also culturally closer to Kanem-Bornu (in the game, they would also have the architecture of Mali), to the point of having traditions linking their origin to the aforementioned kingdom. Benin/Yoruba, on the other hand, link their origins to Ife, also in southern Nigeria.

1 Like

More Northern America

2 Likes

Too many civs for a irrelevant part of the medieval world… and Mali already share borders with a few of those civs. We have burgundians, but that doesn’t mean we need 3 civs in the same piece of land

But I would like ONE subsaharian dlc… kongo is a must, and if they return to 2 civs per dlc, I would choose some civ from the eastern coast of africa.

I disagree. Some of these civs did have a lot of contact with other civs and had a significant amount of influence in the world (at least on par with some existing civs). For example, the Nubians resisted many Arab invasions and they even invaded Egypt later. The Somali and Swahili had a huge role in the Indian Ocean trade. The Hausa were extremely important in the Transaharian routes (there were chosen as a civ for aoe3 for a reason).

Ironically, I think the Kongolose is probably one of the most irrelevant mentioned in his list, althought I would still like to see them.

2 Likes

They fit more in aoe3 than aoe2.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Much like with the Shona. However, they still fit the aoe2 timeline.
But yeah, I think the other civs suggested are stronger candidates.

2 Likes

The Ghana empire was just the name of one of the Soninke states. In the Malian campaign, you fight against a Soninke kingdom from after the fall of the empire.
Also, Ghanaian may be TOO recognizable. Most people would associate it to modern day Ghana, even though those states don’t exactly overlap. I have the same problem with the Edo people from the kingdom of Benin, which many forum members want to see in the game as Benin or Beninese even though they come from Nigeria.

You mean, like the Portuguese and Burgundians? XD
I think civs with their golden age in the overlap time period do fit bothe games rather than one or the other. Also, I’d like to have both th Soninke and Songai rather than having to chose either. But then again, there are way too many interesting civs in West Africa and the continent has been left out for too long, I don’t think we would see all of them.

4 Likes

Of course, I understand you, there it can be…

Difficult there is not much information about them prior to 1600, they would have to be campaigns from the 16th century:

1. Deganawida (Haudenosaunee) (1534-1580): Foundation of the Haudenosaunee confederation (based on the song of Hiawatha, Haud leader in AoE 3 DE)…

2. Xauian (Puebloans) (1540–1542): The Coronado Expedition and the Tiguex War

Yes I agree…

It was for the Sokoto Caliphate (1810-1903), in fact the Hausa flag is that of the same caliphate…

Yes, Kongo fits AoE 2 between 1390 and 1590, but since its history is related to the Portuguese colonization from the 16th century onwards it fits better in AoE 3 (besides the fact that the Kongolese empire lasted until 1914, just before the First World War )…

Of course, it’s a whole subject, really, many towns that you don’t know how to represent them in the games…

The Burgundians are medieval, you get confused with the Dutch who, since they became independent only in 1581, do fit into AoE 3…