What existing civs design can tell us from the civs to come

@Eightnon Are you talking about me?

Wiki

At its largest (1810), the Spanish Empire was 13.7 million km squared
At its largest (1309). the Mongol Empire was 24 million km squared

And if you’re talking about % of world population, the Mongols would compare significantly better than that.

80% empty wilderness. Steppe, desert, tundra. And it disappeared as fast as it appeared.

Ottoman Turks become important in very late Medival and while it was succesfull it was nowhere near of crushing everyone and everywhere as some people here say. For example they struggled with sieges on many occasions. Few examples be Rhodos, Malta, Vienna (It was besieged few times not only that one time when PLC helped), Belgrad and even siege of Constantinople wasn’t that easy.

But I will say that DLC with Turks, Byzantines and Venetians would be cool to see.

“Important”? Ottomans become the overall world’s number 1 power for the decisive last 300 years of AoE 4, 1350-1650, AoE 4 goes beyond medieval.
And it’s not only the Ottomans!
Turkish empires were world powers throughout the span of AoE 4. A fascinating story waiting to be told. I got an idea.

I think so, but to compare Ottoman Empire with minion Venice is almost surreal sci-fi.

1 Like

If that’s true then I guess the other 20% of the land that the Mongols conquered just happened to have around 30% of the worlds population in it.

Either way you look at it, it’s clearly much bigger than the Spanish Empire, and it predates the Spanish Empire, so the statement I was challenging is obviously false.

Thats why I am not against them but let’s not go into such hyperboles. In those 300 years they are one of the most important nations in the world but were they number 1? I wouldn’t say so but there are many factors in that.

While Venice was small it was very important state that fought against Ottomans on many occasians. I propose them because you can easily make campaign that starts with siege of Constantinople where venetians had rather big force inside the city and end it with Lepanto. You can throw Hungary into the mix ( one of the most important European kingdom that peaople tend to forget about) and put battle of Varna and siege of Belgrade into the campaign.

Suppose you want a different take on a campaign about the Crusades
 could be interesting.

Then again, if the devs feel they have a story to tell, nearly every civ mentioned on this thread would be fun. I don’t think size alone should be the primary factor, there’s more to History than that.

80% empty wilderness. Steppe, desert, tundra. And it disappeared as fast as it appeared.

:arrow_down:

That’s very much correct actually. Human civilization is incredibly concentrated in geography. Still, was a little blip in the world’s timeline.

Plus, raw territory area is one of several civ factors, one of the lesser factors. So the statement you challenged was not that meaningful anyway, right?

Aren’t you the exact same guy opening like 4-5 topics about how Age of Empires is betraying history by not featuring the Ottoman Empire and all that jazz?

5 Likes

@Eightnon Are you talking about me?
Ever thought about engaging the discussion like even devs are doing?
Personally I think honest, genuine representation of history is the essence of Age of Empires. It’s not only about power, it’s so much more. So it could be seen as a betrayal of history? Maybe.

It defeat the Ottomans and you seem to be a big fan of Ottomans. Plus how do you get the number of 80%.

1 Like

I am implying that we have heard about Ottoman Empire in every necessary way possible by now, the discussion about it may cease.

1 Like

If we analyze all the objective factors (several in previous post), like Era-changing weapon and siege technology breakthroughs in world history, revolution in army organization, first modern musket army in history, population, number of cities conquered and ruled, military win record, incredibly fighting battles against many (by far the most) major Civs all at the same time, steady expansion momentum, staying power, territory and its economic and cultural density, ethnic, cultural and religious tolerance and enlightenment, major advances in multi-culture, multi-religion civ building and administration, yes, Turks /Ottomans are definitely number 1 Civ in the world right in the most decisive period of AoE 4, 1350-1650, and also finish the game as the world’s greatest power.
Not having them in the game is beyond fake, it’s dishonest.

That’s a superb idea and a true treasure for history lovers. Still, why not Italians (we have Civs, not states, look at HRE) instead of Venice?

I think Ottoman Empire started to blossom too late to be relevant to the age of empires 4 era. Which seems to focus on around 800-1600.
Ottomans seem like 500 years too late

I understand most people are discussing about the urgently needed inclusion of the Turks (700 CE to 1650 CE) in Age of Empires 4. Not only the all-important Ottoman dynasty. You can try to engage the Topic. And no, not late at all, they were the most important empire in the world in the decisive period of Age of Empires 4, 1350-1650. @Eightnon

You need to stop representing “most people” and ignoring opposite argument.

I was interacting with several people here. What is the argument against the Civ suggestion? I didn’t see this argument, I’m genuinely very sorry. Never meant to offend anyone.

Alright Vinifris, understood. I am convinced now that you have created 2 accounts and pose the majority now. However I think Ottoman Empire might be a cool addition. You just need to stop shoving it into our faces all the time because this creates a little bit of an anti-stance here.

1 Like

Look, I too would like to see their addition. 100% agree with that. Eastern Rome, Seljuks, more Arab civilizations. And Ottomans. But I strongly believe power and size alone aren’t the only things that become fascinating stories to tell.

It’s up to you if you want to play the currently planned campaigns or not. If they deliver on the quality promised, they’ll be interesting nonetheless. But if you keep this up, with the wording and whatnot — “crime against History”, “dishonesty” —, devs are likely to read these forums and abort Ottomans out of spite alone. :rofl: Let’s not have that happen!

1 Like