What existing civs design can tell us from the civs to come

Sources please. As far as I know most scholar agree that Spanish Tercio changed warfare. Also field canons changed warfare the most, not “Monster Bombards”. And btw Russian made the biggest “Monster Bombard”.

1 Like

Am I missing something here in the previous messages? Please show me.

We both agree. Haven’t seen any argument against here, maybe I didn’t read everything. Well, don’t you think it should be Turks, similar to English or Chinese? Many people seem to think so. You can read the discussion.
In my opinion, this is a big issue in current Civ analysis. I didn’t think it was sensitive.

It’s great to know that our community is still passionate about history, with an open exploration mind, and without prejudice. You can tell me more about other Arab civilizations, I imagine you are talking about the Egypt Mamluks? I think it would be a strong idea.

You know what? You’re totally right. That’s why we need to tell this amazing real-world story. I have an idea. Enough of Netflix, Ragnarok, and whatnot.

I don’t recall saying that thing of crime. Sounds too passionate. But from the perspective of history, I think for a lot of fans, including silent people out there, well it does come across as dishonest, fake, doesn’t it?

I think this was the saddest decision in AoE 4 but I don’t think I was made by devs alone. There was probably “political interference” from outside, Relic commercial or marketing departments maybe. People who don’t really understand the franchise. Who knows. We support the devs here, we have the same goal, and I’m sure they don’t make decisions out of spite.

Yes that ornate museum one, a hundred years later. Personally I like it but it’s a bit funny. :sweat_smile: Well, mother Russia does have its genuine time of glory as well, why not? It’s called Age of Empires 3, and World War 2, right?

Oh they were as or even more influential than the English or the Rus in their respective regions.

The most influential kingdom in western europe was France not England. In Eastern Europe it was the Eastern Roman Empire not the Rus. In West Africa Mali was the most influential and in Mesoamerica it was the Aztecs who influenced the most their region.

Spain is the only empire in the AoE4 timeframe that influenced the whole world. It was the empire were the sun never sets.

Japan wasn’t as influential as China sure. But they will probably add them at some point because Samurais.

From your own source: For the state ruled by the dynasty, see Abbasid Caliphate.

1 Like

the Kingdom of Italy was part of the HRE so there is no need to include them as an independent faction. But Venice was not part of it, so it can be included as an independent civ. It was small but very influential.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Venice#/media/File:Repubblica_di_Venezia.png

Navarre was smaller but also very influential, since they eventually became kings of France with Henry IV and of Spain (House of Bourbon)

2 Likes

You are right the Spanish were the second largest Empire the world had know. The Mongol Empire being the first. But if the mongol empire include all that empty land. Shouldn’t the Spanish also include the seas and oceans it dominated? I guess that would make the comparison more even.

Edit: wait, also 1810 was not the peak of the spanish empire. By 1810 the spanish had already lost most of its territories.
I believe the peak was much early with the Habsburgs.
Charles was King of Spain, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Lord of the Netherlands and Holy Roman Emperor. During his reign the spanish conquered the Inca and Aztec Empires
Then Philip his son become also king of Portugal when married Isabella and king of England when married Mary. While the spanish expanded its territories in America stablished several colonies in africa and south asia and conquered what we now know as the Philippines.

2 Likes

For Dark and feudal age sure but not after (one could argue that castle and imperial age are more important since that’s when most of the game happens and also most of the campaigns it seems).

Game goes to 1600 pretty much. ERE influence really sunk down after crusaders fuc ked it up in 1200s.
From 13-14 century they were not the most influential only in religious terms mby for orthodox countries.

Fair question! I agree with you. Spain is a more important civ than Mongols overall. Raw territory area is not a very important metric. The integral calculation of the economic, urbanizing and civilizational density through the territory is waaay more important than raw area.

I strongly believe, not only the Turks /Ottoman Empire obviously, but also Persia, Spain and Japan deserve an AoE 4 spot more than English or Rus.

When I stated the fact you start to say it’s funny. I never called you funny. The time Russian built the bombard(1586) is whithin the time period you claimed yourself:

And you still haven’t given any sources on who said turks “monster bombard” changed siege forever. Cause Turks didn’t use them first nor use them the most during battle.

1 Like

Hey, don’t take it in the negative way my friend. It was just a lighthearted remark about the Tsar Bombard which I think is pretty cool.
I just think it’s a bit funny because it’s a showoff artillery, it’s so ornate, and it’s only one. I didn’t mean to belittle.

In the year 1451, a long 135 years before this one Tsar Bombard, the Ottoman Empire, the greatest power in the world then, built 70 Great Bombards, the first in human history, first to be used, first time to transform siege (world’s most important siege), that allowed Constantinople the Eternal City, the 1,000 year inexpugnable fortress to be finally conquered, ending the Middle Ages and changing history forever.

Let’s open our minds. Age of Empires will benefit from history ideas.

The bombards the turks used during siege of Constantinople were just similarly unuseful because they fire too slow and cause damge slower than Byzantines could repair. Turks took the city by transporting ships on land and finding an unlocked gate. People just usually mark the fall of Constantinople as end of the medieval but it’s not that Turks caused the end of medieval. It was renaissance and the collapse of the Church along with many factors that end medieval. Turks used a lot of fire arms but at no time they are more advaced in fire army than western Europe, it’s more of a stereotype that they had best canons. They were one of the most empires of their time but your examples don’t make much sense.

Also defenders weren’t able to man the walls properly and most of the city was empty. Only after Turks managed to open another attack vector they were able to take the city

It is interesting that despite their artillery Turks struggled with sieges on many occasions. especially the more important ones.

2 Likes

Perhaps for Europe, Constantinople is important because it is a forward position against Islam. When it comes to attacking castles, the ancient Chinese have many methods…

2 Likes

It’s sad than they used the feature of Great Wall, as a city fortification for chinese. The Great Wall of china didn’t surrender a city as a ring, but as barriers at the frontier ,with gates working as outposts / forts.
This landmark of city wall would have worked perfectly for the Byzantine walls of constantinople, than even turks were not able to breach.

Great wall of chinese would have been more fitting if built (even partially) anywere in the territory to work as frontline and outpost.

1 Like

You can build the Great wall on any wall segment you want to.

It doesn’t only have to be surrounding your main base.

The Great Wall is mainly used to deal with nomads. If there are nomads around Europe, I believe Europeans will build walls like the Great Wall, not castles. China only has the Great Wall in the north, not in the south. It’s much easier to deal with infantry than cavalry.

2 Likes

European answer for that was network of castles/forts. It worked against viking raids in England, Magyars in Germany and Mongols in Hungary. Basicly you hide as many people and as much resources in them as you can and wait for enemy to starve. And they can’t really siege you.

That doesn’t work. All Chinies cities had what was basically Theodesian walls. And Mongols conquered all of them anyway. That one time, anyway.

But it worked in Europe.

2 Likes