What is the easiest way to get a villager to build multiple buildings?

In AoE 2 DE, I do this with the ctrl key. This avoids the action being queued behind the villager’s current activity, so you can take a lumberjack, for example, who is working, select them, press QQ for a house, then hold ctrl and click multiple times, and they will build the multiple houses immediately. This doesn’t work in AoE 4.

In AoE 4, I’m currently selecting the villager, then QQ, then click to place a house, then QQ again, then shift and click multiple times to place the additional houses. Clearly this is a more cumbersome and tedious way of doing it than what I do in AoE 2 DE. Is there a better way to do it in AoE 4?

2 Likes

Having the same problem and solving this currently by either pressing the „stop“ button or giving a movement order beforehand.

I don’t really understand the question. Holding shift allows you to place more than one building at a time, does it not?

EDIT: Nvm I just got it. I don’t think there’s a way to do what you want in one action as of now, but I might be wrong

Yes it works when your villager is idle, but when he/she is gathering gold for example you need to end the action before giving shift build commands, otherwise the villager will first gather the resource entirely and then build it.

1 Like

yeah, I got it afterwards. Personally I just queue all the building and then right click to send the villager(s) I selected to start building there. Only annoying thing is that they don’t automatically get back to work afterwards unless I then shift and right click every single new building followed by a right click to the ressource so they get back to work

This has bothered me a lot too during the 3 or 4 games I’ve played after launch and it bothered me in the beta too.

1 Like

Move command? then start building the empire

Why should it be like this tho? I have never run into an situation where I want the villager to finish cutting his tree before doing the building. Or am I missing something? Why cant the villager just go build straight away?

1 Like

Great point! It does seem weird.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’ll try to build the habit of clicking to move the villager first, then I can just hold shift, lay down all the buildings, then a final click back to the resource so they don’t go idle afterwards. It’s just hard after so much time of doing it with the ctrl key in AoE 2 DE. And when I play AoE 2 DE, I’ll do it the same way as in AoE 4, even though an easier way exists, so I’m not messing up my muscle memory.