What is your favourite AGE OF game?

What is your favourite AGE OF game?
  • Age of Empires 1
  • Age of Empires 2
  • Age of Empires 3
  • Age of Mythology

0 voters

My fav is AOE2, though I’m not a purist. Sometimes I play Wars of Liberty (Big Age of Empires 3 mod) and Age of Mythology too, rarely Age of Empires 1 to be honest.

1 Like

I voted for aoe3, love the faster pace of games and the way the military feels. Seems like less building and more about battle macro

2 Likes

AoE2. Hands down. And with ease.

1 Like

AOE3 just has so much variety within the gaia, units buildings, strategies, etc… It is unmatched in this regard. It is smooth, and dynamic, and has a lot of interesting things like early native treasure fights, local native allies, mercenaries, big button army pops that can swing a game etc…

Then there is the deck system, I know some do not like, but just adds another layer of depth when one has to formulate a strategy and make decisions for techs or units or resources. Its a whole another layer to the game that makes AOE3 a more advanced RTS for experienced players whereas AOE2 or 4 seem more entry level.

The graphics and music are also superb. it has great unit animation, and multiple weapons and physics, there is nothing close to it,

Its a work of art and masterpiece.

2 Likes

Shoot, yet another AoE list that’s missing my favorite entry: the oft-maligned AoE:O.

• Playable for free over at https://www.projectceleste.com/
  • Best civ diversity and countersystem.
  • Core gameplay plays like a faster-paced, tighter version of AoE2.

I think there’s a higher barrier to entry for AoE:O, and it suffers from the legacy of the original release (that had a freemium business model, among other issues). Celeste has fixed the bad, and made the good better. I suggest giving it a try before you decide AoE:O shouldn’t be on the list.

All that being said, I love all the age games. Each one brings unique things to the series.

Really appreciate @howlingwolfpaw’s comments about AoE:3.

AoE:2’s atmosphere can’t be beat (When playing other Age games, I still listen to AoE:2 music - Shamburger gives me the chills), and it’s well-tuned for competitive play.

AoE of course started it all, and set the stage for other Ages to succeed. What a great game.

AoM was my favorite for years - that mix of myth & history was just so fun to see in a game. And the God Powers, Myth Units, etc added such great flavor and strategy to the series.

2 Likes

sadly I never played any AOEO, it did not start up fast enough or last long enough, from a spectator seemed released far before being complete, though it did have some potential.

I also was/ am so hooked into AOE3 I do not know any new AOE game will come close to taking me away.

Its fantastic to hear it thriving again though. AOEO has some charm