What Other RTS games do you like as an Age 2 fan?

It’s simple - what other games from the RTS genre (heck you can even list your non RTS games) do you, as an age 2 fan enjoy?

While i have played many games in the genre over the years (C&C, SC/WC, and others) the ones I find the most entertaining are Northgard, Homeworld 2 (Stoked for 3), and the HoMM games.

outside of RTS i mainly enjoy RPGs.

2 Likes

RTS: AoM, SWGB, Empire Earth 1, Shogun Total War 1 blow my mind and Medieval TW 2 hooked me too. Stronhold 2 Crusader. Commandos complete Saga.

Non RTS: Counter Strike, Deus Ex 1 and new reboot, Carmaggedon 2, Jedi Knight Saga, Worms saga, Monkey Island!

3 Likes

honestly i hate the total war everything with the passion that cannot be expressed in words.

2 Likes

started with Settlers (II, III, IV) games, Stronghold (1 and Crusader). played some Empire Earth II for a while. Then got into the Total War series.

I still frequently play Total War, AoE2. Occasionally AoE3 and very rarely Stronghold

other games: stardew valley, factorio, Civ V, terraria, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Witcher 3, Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, XCom, Dark Souls, Hades, Guild Wars
but at this point im just listing my steam library

2 Likes

11… Why? ? They almost created a new gender and become real the a generatiion’s wet dreams of big armies clashing in a game

1 Like

I fell in this drug too…

2 Likes

it’s just not my cup of tea i guess. just like for example, I like RPGS but i can’t stand Dark Souls type games.

3 Likes

Not quite RTS, but I really like Stellaris.

2 Likes

The problem is the time to play, RTS games require time to learn them (which I don’t have).
Mainly I just play AoE2, nothing else

2 Likes

check out northgard - it’s pretty casual friendly.

1 Like

I used to play Dota 2 but that game eats your life hobbies free time friends significant others ect

As a history nerd, the more mundane setting doesn’t bother me one bit.

1 Like

Not much of a gamer outside of AoE2 as it’s often hard to justify even the time I put into that, but…

Back in the day, I liked:
RTS: AoE1, Battle for Middle Earth 1&2, dabbled in AoM and SWGB
Other: Final Fantasy Tactics, Halo series (especially 2 on Legendary :joy:), Ultima VI, Lords of Magic, Civ II. Monkey Island was dope, but my siblings were more into it than I was (and not the greatest replay value on those linear story games).

Apart from Age2 content though, probably haven’t bought a game in 10 years or so. Nor will I.

4 Likes

No one played knights of honor?

1 Like

a little hidden gem I can really recommend is ‘Baba is you’. Amazing puzzle game. you are sure there is no solution 80% of the time, feel stupid for 15% and really smart for 5%. Ok, I’m not selling this

2 Likes

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Terraria, Minecraft and Factorio mostly.

My 2nd most favorite RTS series is C&C + Rise of Nations and Wacrafct 3.
Edit: Plenty of other games that I’ve played in the past which I might return to: Skyrim, Doom, Black & White, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Plague Inc…

1 Like

I don’t really play other RTS games much anymore. I used to love WarCraft III when I was a teenager, but replaying it when Reforged came out, I realised the combat in it is really grindy, since most units are hit point sponges that take no meaningful bonus damage from anything and have puny attacks. I still think the singleplayer campaigns (which are essentially an RPG) are great, but the standard game/multiplayer I found really disappointing as an adult.

Similarly, I like StarCraft 1 and 2 singleplayer campaigns, but the multiplayer feels really short and shallow relative to AoE2, especially the very basic economy.

I second that. Baba Is You is fantastic, one of my favourite games.

I really want to like Total War, but I find it much too difficult. Especially the real-time battles, it just feels like my units don’t do what I tell them, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

1 Like

Well thanks.
Now I want to play black and white again

1 Like

Other RTS games i enjoy as an AoE2 fan are AoE3 and AoE4

2 Likes

RTS:

• Age of Empires 4 (tied as my favorite RTS with AoE2)
  • Starcraft 2 (mostly just coop mode at this point)
  • Warcraft 3 (mainly for campaigns)
  • C&C Generals
  • Red Alert 2

Non-RTS:

• Heroes of the Storm
  • Portal 1/2
  • Splitgate
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Hades
  • Elden Ring
  • Warzone
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • NHL 96

I dont play much at the moment, because I dont have time. But generally I play strategy games with some exceptions.

On my list, and I hope I will have time to play them a bit, are Homeworld 3, Tempest Rising and the System Shock remake.