What we know

@GepardenKalle said:

@GeohDude said:
Does anyone have any info on the population limit? I know it was at 50 on the PC version. 50 is way too small lol

Rsie of Rome supported a pop limit of 200. Seeing as this game includes RoR content I’m sure it is the same here.

Really??? I have RoR on my PC and it still has it to 50. lol. It is a pirated version, though, so maybe that’s why.

@GeohDude said:
Really??? I have RoR on my PC and it still has it to 50. lol. It is a pirated version, though, so maybe that’s why.

It defaults to 50. You have to set it to 200 in the game options when preparing a random map

i am curious as to what Balance changes will be made?

@GepardenKalle said:

@GeohDude said:

It defaults to 50. You have to set it to 200 in the game options when preparing a random map

Just checked. There is no option to change it.

OMG… The Beta starting tommorow :open_mouth:
I have holidays :smile:, please god i will a key :dizzy:

@GeohDude said:
Just checked. There is no option to change it.

Just checked it. Apparently you can only change the pop limit when setting up a mp game (odd). But if you do it that way you can still play against the computer with 200 pop.

@GeohDude said:

Yeah but when you go to Multiplayer and than you make it with Computer you can change to 200 Pop, With Patch or addon

@HaiCinderella said:

@GeohDude said:

Yeah but when you go to Multiplayer and than you make it with Computer you can change to 200 Pop, With Patch or addon

I wish I knew that before lol I literally installed a third party client that allowed you to configure the population from as low as 25 to 500. All that extra-ness for nothing.

I feel like having 200 pop (Certain Campaign Scenarios aside) would be an amazing change. That said, i did learn to appreciate feeling like both conquest AND wonder victories were equally viable. (Disclaimer) Sadly i never had much of a chance to play on the MS Zone with AOE1 (was to busy playing AOE2)

@GeohDude said:

@HaiCinderella said:

@GeohDude said:

I wish I knew that before lol I literally installed a third party client that allowed you to configure the population from as low as 25 to 500. All that extra-ness for nothing.

But now we will have a great Beta that make aoe1 greater than ever

@“Andy P” You didn’t mention this but any info on the AI? They changed the AI for AoE2HD and packaged the old AI along as an option.

Great point of the situation. Thx
I’m just curious to see all the improvements that will be implemented

Excellent job, Andy - thank you! Super stoked :slight_smile:

@“Andy P” said:
I have collected various information on the game (from this website, forgottenempires.net, reddit, etc.). I am not citing my sources here, but I didn’t edit much of the language, so you could google your way to them if you really wanted. Anyway, I hope this helps clear some things up.

To be clear, the “I,” “we,” “us,” and “me” in the language below are not me. They are the guys I am plagiarizing.

Overall

• The game will include everything from Age of Empires and the Rise of Rome expansion, including both single player and multiplayer modes.
  • It’s the genied engine, we built on the 1997 version of the game so we can also support a classic gameplay mode.
  • They are starting from the UPatch balance indeed (http://upatch-hd.weebly.com/)
  • The game is being released on PC only and exclusively through the Windows Store — not on Steam: Microsoft felt that the Windows Store was the place to put it so they made that decision. Microsoft believes this is best for their platforms and the game. They believe competition is healthy, that the Windows Store/Windows 10 has improved, and that these are the best places to play games due to Xbox Live features. It would likely take a lot of community pressure to make it happen. I understand the argument on both sides but purely in my own personal opinion, I would really like to see the game on Steam (and also with Windows 7 & 8 support) as much as you all do! As long as FE keeps me around, you can know someone is always listening and sharing your thoughts. I can’t win all these battles, but I am here to keep the feedback flowing.

New Features

• All-new graphics & artwork: They’re still sprite graphics actually :slight_smile: Just much higher fidelity, but all is still 2D isometric. The animations in the original game were rendered at varying framerates between 10 and 20fps. The animations in DE are all rendered at 30fps.Things like scrolling, UI interactions, Mouse movements, etc are not capped at 30fps. That’s the just rate at which animation frames are changed. You get a high level of smoothness when the fps reaches or exceeds 2x the animation playback rate. The game is designed to run well on low-end and mid-range systems, just as it was 20 years ago. Most laptops and non-gaming monitors run at 60 Hz. 30 FPS was deemed the sweetspot, along with 32 directional facings, and up to 25x the pixel density of the OG when fully zoomed in. Higher FPS would increase minimum memory and download size significantly, and thus have to have sufficient return to justify. Given that it still is 2D sprite based, frame interpolation is complete crapshoot, and thus avoided.
  • Remastered soundtrack: The new orchestral soundtrack covers a bit of a mix of both the MIDI-only tracks in the original and the redbook CD audio, which were only excluded from CD audio because they run out of space.
  • Remastered sound effects: Completely new narration throughout. Hundreds of new and rebuilt sound effects. We did roughly 100 takes to get the “wololo” right. We’re definitely striving to stick to the original ones. At least on the iconic effects.
  • Completely revamped UI
  • The good old campaigns with proper spit and polish
  • Countless balance adjustments
  • New terrains & scenario editor objects
  • Classic Mode — The original 1997 experience with a few minor necessary changes (like higher resolution support). No new assets or anything. A few minor changes, but we’ll detail those out later (one of the changes is higher resolution support, unless you want that real 800*600 original experience again :))
  • You can import old scenarios. AoE and RoR scenarios are compatible. But you’ll have to manually update them to make use of all the new terrains and trees. We don’t support backwards compatibility though. Scenarios made in AoEDE cannot be opened in the original games.
  • You can train more than one unit at a time like AOE2
  • They are not expanding on the existing game, so no unique units or new buildings or new civs.
  • Just as in the original, there will be no gates
  • Villager garrisons definitely won’t be in, would completely change the gameplay and we want to stay true to some of the original gameplay concepts in Age1.
  • There will be blood at release. We are currently in beta and still polishing the game. Adding blood to the corpses is something we will do after we have completely finished the unit graphics.

Release Dates

• They are sending out BETA surveys starting tomorrow, June 16, 2017
  • The game will be available on the Windows Store later this year. Exact date to be announced!
  • The price is definitely not $60

Great point of the situation. Thx
I’m just curious to see all the improvements that will be implemented

Definitely not $60 :smiley:

@Raw1812 said:
@“Andy P” You didn’t mention this but any info on the AI? They changed the AI for AoE2HD and packaged the old AI along as an option.

I swear they mentioned pathing, and I feel like I heard something about AI, too. But maybe I just heard UI and got my alphabet soup mixed up.

Fantastic summary. My killer criteria will indeed be sound. Wololo must sound like Wololo :slight_smile:

@“Andy P” I hope so as it was a major pain in the butt to have a handful of your army walk into a death zone because they couldnt go around trees on the right side and maps like Rivers were just utterly rude. (Never learned about epic micro till after AOE 2 )

A very fine post, and a very fine wololo to you, my Good Sir.

Great post, had a few things in it I had missed.
Do you reckon they will add formations or would that be too AoE2 game play?
I feel like it would be more of a quality of life aspect.