What's the best/worst unique unit produced at Castles?

where

Ballista elephant is marginally usable in castle age coz Khmer doesnt need to build market and blacksmith so have 5 extra farms. TBF they are good in imp after researching double xbow. Their damage output is a lot better than EA since ballista does pass-thro damage. They only suck vs high PA units.

Jag are obvious, they anti infantry very well, OKish vs cavalry with garland wars.

Nope he is not noob ofc and just in very specific position maybe best player in the world managed to something miracle doesnt show that mangus actually eat paladins.At that 4 tile squized place even castle age xbows can kill paladins lol normally mangudais job is not to kill paladins and no thing can change this fact

2 Likes

i think mangudai attack delay increased from 0 to 0.5s due to killing paladin too easily

Best is hard to say. My personal favourite is the Huskarl, although you end up creating them from Barracks thanks to the unique tech, that unit just really changes game dynamic so much, as the usual counter (archers) doesn’t work, they can also take out castles and TCs not defended by armies, due to their pierce armour. Just an all round amazing unit for raiding bases.

However, if we have to stick to a UU that is produced exclusively at a Castle only, then probably Longbow, similarly, it just changes game dynamic so much by being able to snipe units that would normally be “safe” from ranged attacks. With enough numbers, they can snipe Onagers, and Trebs even. This can make it rather difficult to push a Britons player’s base.

Worst unique unit
 hmm, Flaming Camel. You need a tech to unlock the unit, and you actually need some pretty decent micro to be able to do enough damage with them to warrant their cost. (As for what to improve, IDK, it seems like a unit that was just made for teh lulz)

If we have to consider the standard UU only, the Elephant Archer, just 10 gold cheaper than a Khmer Ballista Elephant, but performs significantly worse in all respects. (As for what to improve, EA should outrange generic archers (change HC +1 range tech to EA +2 range tech), so it could at least not get kited to death by skirms and halbs so easily, not even sure if that alone would fix anything to be honest, the unit just doesn’t fit into the theme of the civ)

Best: Camel Archer, Mangudai, Chu ko nu (always useful and compliment with other units well)
Worst: Elephant archer (too situational)

I’m quite surprised that the Ballista Elephant isn’t getting more of a mention here - almost every game I play with/against Khmer they shred everything and there’s seemingly no real counter.

I do have a theory as to why I don’t see them mentioned in these types of forum discussions: Essentially, I am only a beginner and as such only play people with fairly low ELO (always <1000), whilst I assume that most people on here are probably >1000 at the very the least. Given that low level games tend to have little initial combat as both players get to castle/imp, this allows more opportunity to mass Elephants, at which point - say when you have 35+ - there’s nothing that really can be done to stop them. On the other hand, high level games are never as tranquil so it’s harder to achieve the critical mass at which they (seemingly) become unplayable.

Low level players will probably also prefer them because they don’t really require/aren’t capable of particularly delicate micro - unlike say, plumed archers or mangudai, which are consistently offered as best unique unit candidates.

Am I just missing a counter strategy that only higher level players use, or are they really as strong as I think?

There have been some interesting balance changes to the game since this thread was first posted. You would be better off starting a new thread with the same question.

4 Likes

Monks wololo rush say wololo to convert them.

I feel this list.

Only thing I would change is maybe Samari to B. That’s it.

1 Like

This is 2 years old but OK :smiley:

2 Likes

That tierlist doesn’t even make sense anymore with the new cisv and even the upcoming roman civ.

2 Likes