When are we going to nerf Ottoman mosque?

I’m sure a lot of people feel that Ottoman FI is oppressive, because it is. The requirement of the unique mosque units are just an age 2 card and an age 3 card, which mount to about 1700 resources invested.

However, the mosque tech which ship 20 Nizams, 5 Spahis, and 3 bombards, which have a total cost of 6800 resources, are discounted by 60%, which is 4080 resources.

OTTOMAN ONLY NEED TO PAY 1720 RESOURCES TO GET AN AGE 4 ARMY WORTH 6800 RESOURCES, BY INVESTING 2 CARDS.

Again, Ottoman just need to invest 1700 resources of cards, to get 4080 resources of benefits.

<<This doesn’t even count the TC and population limit upgrades which are also cheaper>>
<<This also doesn’t count the savings from not having to upgrade units>>

Also remember all those Otto units shadow tech, spahi is one of the best cavs, nizam has bonus vs infantry and shadow tech to age4, it also allows Otto player to continue training nizam instead of having to upgrade infantry. All the unique mosque techs also provide some upgrades for the units, nizams and cavs. Nizams get more multiplier, cavs get extra melee resist.

If we do the math, it would be balanced if mosque construction card give mosque tech 20-25% discount. Mathematically it provides 2k res of benefits which is slightly better than the 2 cards invested. However in game this number is whopping 60 percent! If we count the upgrades to units and discount on population limit upgrades, 10% would be balanced. But again the game allows 60% discount from that card.

60 percent discount while 20 percent would be balanced, how it is unbalanced card allowed to be in the game for so long??

3 Likes

I’d almost argue that the FI is fine, the problem is that after FI-ing they have such a strong follow up with 12 Abus, 6 Spahi, 2 Bombards, etc and -20% heavy infantry cost, 2 TCs (and +2 to TC build limit), and an all infantry combat card. I’m not counting factories because all the euro civs get them, so that’s pretty baseline.

Ottomans used to be held back by a few issues (a bad late game, and poor ability to kill goons), but as I pointed out in my thread “All of Ottoman’s historical weaknesses have been removed” the exploitable weaknesses that kept the civ at least kinda in check are pretty much gone.

4 Likes

The church techs aren’t the problem they have been nerfed the problem is the spahi age up and spahi cards costing food, swap the spahi card cost from 1k food to 800 coin and problem solved.

5 Likes

I played a guy who did this - totally insane amount of sipahis and Nizam at age 3 when you’re barely able to reach age 3 or stuck in age 2 with no units that can beat that

1 Like