Where should the first DLC go?

The Polish-Lithuanian Union is only a proposal for a name for CIV, which would be an umbrella for the areas of the later PLC - a huge territory. The Polish civ would represent only the Polish nation, while the Polish-Lithuanian Union would represent the entire region. Such a civ could have Polish and Lithuanian units. Polish civ would be limited only to Poland.

I don’t want AoE 4 to repeat the civs problem of AoE 2 - it takes infinity of civs to please players. AoE 4 should have well thought-out umbrellas that focus only on the largest empires of a given region.

1 Like
  1. Civ representing the British Isles
  2. Civ representing French speaking countries
  3. Civ representing German-speaking countries, the Netherlands, the Czechia, Silesia and Pomerania
  4. Civ representing the Ruthenians i.e. Russia, Belarus and Ukraine
  5. Civ umbrella for the Iberian Peninsula
  6. Civ representing the Byzantine Empire and the Balkan nations, e.g. Bulgarians and Serbs
  7. Civ representing the Italian states, both North and South
  8. Civ representing the Carpathian region - Hungary, Romania, Slovakia and Croatia - the crown of St. Stephen
  9. Civ representing the region of the later Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
  10. Civ representing the Scandinavian countries

10 European civs for AoE 4- NO MORE, NO LESS

First DLC
Aragonese
Castilians
Portuguese
Byzantines

Second DLC
Aztecs
Mayans
Incas
(insert one more civ)

Third DLC
Ethiopians
Malians
Swahili
Kongolese

Fourth DLC
Polish
Bulgarians
Norse
Lithuanians
That would be a lot of civs already, tripling the civ count

2 Likes

but for almost the whole of the Middle Ages Poland was independent it would be a historical mistake, also Lithuanians and Poles are 2 very different peoples. it would not only represent Poles but culturally the entire western Slavs, which is a huge space. if it was a new century
from the 15th century onwards, then we would be talking about the commonwealth and the union with Lithuania

2 Likes

… Kinda random factions wouldn’t you say? I would rather have Croatia be replaced by the Bulgarians (or Bulghars) and Ireland be replaced by the Scots…

1 Like

Yes they are Random. I thought about it for like 5 seconds.
It was only to show the general direction. So people know what I mean with each given area.

1 Like

Hum, personally I would replace the Kongolese with the Ghanaians and maybe the Swahili with the Somali. Other than that I think it’s good.

Even though my country is in here I don’t think these many factions in Iberia would fit for the first DLC… Also, Byzantines and no Italians (Venetians specifically) or Turks for a campaign around them?

1 Like

AoE2DE is getting 2 Civilisation per DLC now so I don’t think AoE4 will get 4 per DLC.

2 Likes

Yeah… no. I think dividing it into Spanish (crown of Castile) and Portuguese would be bether.

But the Celtic nations fought so differently from the English though…

They’ll most likely get 3 per expansion, like in AoE3.

2 Likes

You can group Aragonese and Castilians together for Spanish (I didn’t want to say it to arouse a response from JonOli

Turks
Byzantines
Spanish
Portuguese

Aoe2 DE doesn’t have as many people developing it, forgotten is split between Aoe3 DE and Aoe2 DE+Aoe2 DE already has a lot of civilizations

1 Like

No ■■■■■■■ DLC! The game is too expensive already

1 Like

I’ve had an idea for quite some time now of how to represent all of the Spanish kingdoms in the game as historically fitting as possible. So you’d basically have the Politician system from AoE3 (specifically the one for the US faction), but instead of states or politicians, you’d start as the Kingdom of Asturias and you’d choose a Royal Marriage from one of the other Iberian Kingdoms (except Portugal). So in age 2 you could choose between the Kingdom of Galicia, the Kingdom of Navarre or the Principality of Catalonia, in age 3 you’d choose between the Kingdom of León, the Crown of Castile and the Crown of Aragón and in age 4 you’d become Spain. Each choice would grant you either unique units, techs, buildings or a bonus to your units or economy.

4 Likes

Love it. Would fit with the asymmetric civ design as well.

1 Like

Interesting to compare the results of this poll with the [poll] AoE2 Civilisation wishlist thread.

Byzantines lead the other poll and here we see the Mediterranean leading, which makes sense.

But here The Americas are second while in the other poll only the Aztecs get decent votes, only a few people want the Inca and Maya back.
While the Japanese are very highly requested, East Asia gets the lowest number of votes.

Surprised they don’t have some of the powerhouse civs

What do you mean by “Berber States (Cordoba)” in mediterranean ?

Berber or Imazigh poeple, known as Numidians, Garamantes, Maures, … through History, are an ethnic group living in north africa. The most related medieval “empire” to them is the Fatimids (909-1171), which were a dynasty from berber origin, a strong medieval power known for their naval raid on christian navy.

Corboda is a muslim state in Iberia from the Ummayads Empire, which became independant when Ummayad Califat was dissolved and replaced by Abassids Califat. They are known for their architecture and science. They were conquered by the spanish kingdoms.

Barbary Corsairs / Barbary States of Alger, were Ottomans. It was vassal states of Ottomans Empire, founded by Ottomans corsairs in Algeria, with a famous navy of Pirates. They were a very big deal in the period covered by aoe 3.

so I guess you made a mismatch of really diffferent civilizations, which have different temporality, language, focus, geography, architectures, etc…

Regions which include multiple civs is different than a single civ that you want. Would you rather get one civ that you want along with others that you could care less for or go to another region where you would enjoy all the civs

1 Like

Since we now know that landmarks are, most probably, the way to advance in age this idea would need to be reworked…

Byzantines and vikings are an absolute must imo. And japanese, too.

And for later period, some italian civ like Milan or the Republic of Venice would be cool, and I insist in the discovery/conquest of the Americas thematic DLC with spanish and aztecs at least.