- Hephtalites/Alchons [Huns] (Hephtalite, Alchon and Nezak Huns…)
- Kashmiris (Karkota Empire)
- Bhutanese/Bumthangs (Kingdom of Bumthang)
- Baloch [Persians] (First and Second Baloch Confederacies)
- Bhojpuris [Biharis] (Chero Kingdom)
- Guptas/Magadhis [Biharis] (Gupta Empire, Phithipati dynasty)
- Nepalis/Maithils [Biharis] (Malla, Karnat and Oiniwar dynasties…)
- Afghans/Pashtuns [Hindustanis/Persians/Tatars] (Ghurid dynasty, Sur Empire)
- Deccanis [Hindustanis/Dravidians] (Bahmani, Golconda and Berar Sultanates…)
- Dilliwalas/Delhiites [Hindustanis] (Delhi Sultanate)
- Mughals [Hindustanis] (Mughal Empire)
- Gujaratis [Gurjara/Hindustanis] (Gujarat Sultanate, Maitraka and Chaulukya dynasties…)
- Malvis/Malavis [Gurjara/Hindustanis] (Malwa Sultanate, Paramara Kingdom…)
- Marathis [Gurjara/Dravidians] (Yadava dynasty ?)
- Pratiharas [Gurjara] (Gurjara-Pratihara dynasty)
- Punjabis [Gurjara/Hindustanis] (Sultanate of Multan)
- Rajasthanis/Mewaris [Gurjara] (Kingdoms of Ajmer and Mewar)
- Sindhis [Gurjara/Saracens] (Habbari, ###### ### Samma dynasties…)
- Assamese/Kamarupi [Bengalis] (Kamarupa and Ahom Kingdoms)
- Oriya/Kalinga [Bengalis] (Gajapati Empire, Eastern Ganga dynasty…)
- Sinhalese [Bengalis/Dravidians] (Kingdoms of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Kandy…)
- [Bengalis] split between Hindu (Palas (Pala Empire, Sena and Deva dynasties…)) and Muslim dynasties (Bengali (Bengal Sultanate, Khalji dynasty…))
- Gondi [Dravidians] (Kingdoms of Chanda, Garha and Deoghar)
- Kannadas/Kannadigaru [Dravidians] (Vijayanagara Empire, Rashtrakuta and Chalukya dynasties…)
- Malayalis [Dravidians] (Zamorin of Calicut, Kingdoms of Kolattunādu and Venad…)
- Tamils [Dravidians] (Chera, Chola and Pandya dynasties…)
- Telugus [Dravidians] (Eastern Chalukyas, Kakatiya dynasty, Kingdom of Reddi…)
- Arakanese/Rakhine [Burmese] (Kingdom of Mrauk U)
- Manipuri/Meitei [Burmese] (Kingdom of Kangleipak)
- All of them!
- I don’t know
- I don’t care
Mandatory second question, how many of those civs do you think should be added to the game?
- I don’t know
- I don’t care
We ended up circling back to this poll. After all, many people agree that South Asia isn’t complete yet, even though the devs did a fantastic job covering as much of it as they did, and there’s a real possibility that we may see more of it in a distant future. Also, I’ve been unhappy with my first South Asian poll for a long time, as I felt some options were missing.
A few points I wanted to clarify:
Yes, I know the current Dravidian civ is largely inspired from the Tamils, and would probably receive little to no change in case of a split (though the urumi may be replaced by another UU for instance). That being said, I still included it in the poll because in case some people may want a deeper rework or just clarify that they want a civ with this name in the game.
The Hindustanis are a bit different, as they currently represent both the Mughals and Delhi Sultanate (among other possible new civs, as evidenced by how many of those in my polls are presented as part of a possible Hindustani split) and I guess some people may want to see the two of them split apart.
The Bengalis currently represent all Eastern Indo-Aryan people, but they are mostly modeled after the Pala Empire. That being said, in case of a split between the early Hindu Bengalis and the later Muslim ones, I think the later would probably keep the Bengali name while the former would ba named after their main dynasty, since it’s the most recognisable one.
The Gurjara are probably the broadest umbrella, covering many possible new civs a lot of whom may not have such a big appeal. I don’t know enough about their military traditions to say which one in particular could retain most of the current civ’s build, but the Pratihara tribe (known in modern day historiography as the Gurjara Pratihara dynasty) may be the most obvious one, while the Rajasthanis would be the one keeping the Prithviraj campaign (the poor guy keeps being thrown around…)
It’s not very clear wether the Yadava dynasty was initially of Maratha or Kannada origin. That being said, it was the only instance of a state I could find for the Marathi in Medieval history, as the famous Maratha Empire appeared far later, so I decided to go with it.
That being said, I have to remind you that just because I offered an option doesn’t mean I personnally support it.
Among the options I considered but ultimately decided not to put in the poll, we the Brahui, a Dravidian people from Pakistan which formed the Khanate of Kalat, but this state only appeared in the 17th century, way outside of AoE2’s timeframe, and I couldn’t find anything in earlier period. The other one was the Tibetans, which I thought would have streteched the definition of South Asia a little bit too much.
Finally, I’d like to remind everyone that I’m not a historian and especially not a specialist of this region and time period, so feel free to point it out if I miss something important, but please stay civil with me and each other.