Why Ancient Rome?

To fall rome had to be there,without a rome it was just tribes fighting eachother.

2 Likes

There are a ton of civs missing, LOL.
I think they just went the easy way.

1 Like

i dont understand what makes you think they only add rome ?

I guess some people are misled by the dlc title.

3 Likes

Byzantium is obviously different civilization to ancient Rome. Different culture (Greek instead of Latin), different eraā€¦ lots of other differences. Byzantium is the inheritor of Rome tho, the continuation.

1 Like

Compared to dark ages rome they are the same civ though

They were very close culturally and extremely close militarily

1 Like

Iā€™ll add thereā€™s a direct government continuity. What we call Byzantines are ā€˜justā€™ the medieval phase of the Roman Empire.

People donā€™t have problems identifying the Rome of the Punic Wars with the Rome of Hadrian, centuries later, but for some reason, Heraclius is not Roman

1 Like

Because Heraclius changed the court language(official language) from Latin to Greek. Itā€™s a good point, but we can still regard him as a Roman emperor.

1 Like

If only there were a civ in this franchise with Legionaries, Centurions, Aquilifers, Scorpios, Equites, Decurions, Engineers, a Pontifex, a Clinicus, and a Primus Pilus. Perhaps a Castellum, Praetorium, Auxilia Camp, and a Millarium.

Wait a sec, there is haha

1 Like

Itā€™s more than likely just gonna be AoE1 DE remade in the AoE2DE engine as a separare gamemode with all the features that AoE1 lacked but AoE2 had.

Itā€™s not going to add the AoE1 civs into normal AoE2 gameplay.

At least thatā€™s what it sounds like based on what theyā€™ve said.

Some people disagree with me, but I firmly think the Western Roman Empire (which ended in 476) and the Eastern Roman Empire (ended with the death of Constantine the great in 337 to become the ā€œBizantineā€ empire) are the last remnants of the real Roman empire. Of course, people after that still claimed to be ā€œRomanā€, both the greek/balkan Byzantines and the teuton Holy Roman Empire claimed it, but in my opinion those claims are tenuous and many historians agree. When I think of Rome, what comes to mind are the ancient times: caesars, massive conquest around the mediterranean (which they named), the punic wars and even the earlier Roman republic.

4 Likes

I hope this DLC starts a new continuation of AOE2 set in antiquity period. Tbh, the way AOE1 is designed made it impossible to add more QoL without breaking game balance. We donā€™t have formations, wall/gates for balance reason. I hope that DLC starts a new tech tree inspired from AOE2. I would feel scammed if they just do 1:1 port and making us buy AOE1 for the 3rd time. I just feel this is what AOE1 shouldā€™ve been at first place if they just reworked civ ground up.
Theyā€™ll get my all penny if they make it right. Otherwise big no.

6 Likes

I think this is most likely what we will get.

An 1:1 port with:

• AoE2DEā€™s pathfinding
  • AoE2DEā€™s AI
  • unit formations

Maybe they will also add:

• a resource market like in AoE2 (to buy/sell resources)
  • reworked sea trade (to be like in AoE2)
  • diagonal walls

I donā€™t think there will be any new stuff (for now).

Iā€™ve always thought that argument was kind of flimsy. Philippines changed its languague too and itā€™s the same country.

This is exactly what I want. I want AoE1 with QoL and gates, not AoE2 with AoE1 civs and units. We have Rome ad Bellum for that. Shot out to its devs.

Thatā€™s even way before Teodosius.

These historians donā€™t. And neither the people from Late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages
Also,

This probably comes from here but as you see, itā€™s more of a dodge. They were still different culturally, but so are 1200ā€™s France and 2020 France. Modern France is a continuation of Ancient France but France is shorter than Roman Empire

3 Likes

I do respect that mod but it isnā€™t really that ancient era game full of Mesopotamians and even East Asians.

We donā€™t really have enough games centered on Bronze Age powers.

3 Likes

1:1 port would be very very bad especially how balancing is set up. You have to remember AOE1 does not have a proper formula combat formula(like bonus damage shenanigans) of AOE2. Was all about who puts the most raw energy. Archers were crazy strong. Game had 50 pop as standard pop limit compared to 200 pop of AOE2. It was super easy to run out of res compared to AOE2. Bringing all those in AOE2 lense is not just worth it. Itā€™ll be a disaster. AOE1DE itself stopped at one point with balancings despite how hard they tried to push the limit. AOE2 itself is more like polished version of AOE1. So thatā€™s that.

1 Like

It is a mod focused on Rome mostly (with not one but two civs for Romans) so I donā€™t think it is reasonable to expect from it East Asia .

And in the scope of what it is thatā€™s fine but to say a game with bronze era and Mesopotamian civs not having the enjoyment of things like UU and UT feels like a missed opportunity

2 Likes

Where would be Rome without Greece?

1 Like

Mahazona was replying to a guy who was saying that the Roman Empire was overrated, though

2 Likes