So, I’ve been playing Age of Empires: Definitive Edition and I have a few suggestions. It’s just 5 things that I’ve thought would fit and make the game even better:
1.- “Offline” feature.
- The thing is that I mostly play on th go with my laptop, but when I try to enter on my game, I simply can’t. I have to enter on the classic version of the game which is good and all, but I DID buy the game to play it with those sweet 4K graphics. So it would be nice to have that feature to play whenever and wherever I want.
2.- Local multiplayer without multiple copies of the same game.
- I usually play with friends, but sometimes I’d like to play AoE: DE with a friend but they haven’t bought the game yet. So, I propose some kind of limited “Download play” kind of feature like what Nintendo did with the 3DS where 2 people can play the same game on multiplayer if one of them has the game. The other one would just “link” to the game via “Download play” and they would both play the game. That would help sell the game because that feature would help that other person to try the game and encourage them to buy it so they can play it without the need of being with someone else who has the game all the time. I know this can be a problem to sales, but I believe this actually helps with sales.
3.- Spartan civilization.
- So, the spartans where a pretty prominent civilization on their era. So I suggest a Spartan DLC or something where regular villagers have increased attack bonus and the militia has there’s a Spartan unit that can attack from a distance with spears (Much like skirmishers in AoE 2) and have close range attack (Like Shortsword units). Also, as a bonus, they would have increased armor against ranged attacks and melee attacks if there are 3 or more Spartan units nearby (No armor bonus against siege or projectile units such as catapults or similar units). I know this is very much impossible since the first AoE was pretty basic on unit formations and commands, but it would be pretty cool nontheless.
4.- Advanced formations.
- Pretty much like those found in Age of Empires II. Where you can choose how close or far away your units are from each other. That way, not only would the Spartan civilization be possible, but it would make the game even better. The “Advanced Formations” or “Advanced Combat Training” technology would be purchased from a building on certain civilizations so it would not be on every civilization’s “technology deck”, and that would make a lot of sense and would balance some lower tier civilizations to make them better.
5.- Upgrade graphics on “cheat units”.
- So sometimes, you want to be like a god and have units that can absolutely obliterate your enemies if you so desired. But with an enhanced game with 4K graphics, it looks weird if a pixelated Photon Trooper just appears running around with its pixelated feet. So, it would be just perfect if the “Cheat” units got a graphic upgrade. Just that. Nothing exotic or too fancy. Just a good ol’ regular graphic upgrade to make them fit with the rest of the game. (Which looks just exquisite).
And that’s all. If someone on the dev team would consider these and make them a reality, it would be just wonderful (Especially the Spartan thing). But I just wanted to share this with all of you and I also wanted to hear what you think about these ideas and hear if you have other ideas that could make the game even better. Cheers.