Why AoE IV should return to the Medieval Era

Even though AoE II: DE will be coming out soon, I think this time period offers the most in terms of potential content.

-From a military standpoint, it spans the end of antiquity all the way to the rise of gunpowder. From professional armies, to conscripts.

-There are also numerous civilizations (whereas after ~1500 AD most significant nations/empires had been established).

-Combining the two previous points, and you have a huge combination of possible unique units and techs. Even way more than what is in AoE II now

-More geographic reach (i.e. different types of maps). Civs in AoE I were limited mostly to southern Europe, the Fertile Crescent and North Africa because Europe remained settled by mostly so-called “barbaric” tribes

I would still be ok with antiquity, but anything beyond the 1800s is an obvious no-go and would stray from the true essence of AoE

20 Likes

100% agree with you sir!

3 Likes

I don’t know dude, player base will still play AOE2 or its DE, if this beings the case. I think, they should move on. I maybe in the minority but this way it will have a player base moving on. I know there are more World War rts games in the market. But name me one that is actually any good (besides CCH), I think Relic can take what they’re good at, and give it an AOE spin and make it 10X better than RTS games they are used to make.

9 Likes

I think it’s the exact opposite, as most players prefer AoE to be set in the medieval period (or somewhere around it) they will more likely just stick to AoE2 HD or DE. However I think there will be quite a few people who will do that anyways and there’s nothing wrong with keeping AoE 2&3 going and strong in my opinion.

I actually disagree with you,

As we already have AoE 1, and AoE 2 set in these time periods. I would prefer if AoE 4 goes from the
early colonial times up to the late 19th century.

4 Likes

Haha folks, you’d better keep an open mind and get used to the idea going back to specific eras wouldn’t necessarily mean same game as before. I wish I could say more.

7 Likes

My mind Is open. Pretty sure about next setting Will be ancient/medieval

2 Likes

With the popularity of TV shows like GoT, I think people are still interested in the Medieval / Ancient eras.

World Wars RTS could be fun, but they would be such a departure from AoE it would be hard to call them an AoE game

5 Likes

I see what you’re saying. I definitely felt reassuring :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol? How? They aren’t going to waste their time making a copy of #2. It will be WW1 era. Bet you the game (if i win you buy it for me vice versa :P)

1 Like

that era was for AOE III
AOE IV should be from 19th century to the end of WWII

4 Likes

Agree. It would fit with the timeline.

1 Like

Eh, as much as I love the medieval era, that ground has already been covered by Age of Empires II and since we’re supposedly getting a 4K update of the game with all new features and campaigns (and I assume it will come with all the later expansions such as The Conquerors, Forgotten Empires, The African Kingdoms, etc.) it seems kind of redundant.

Personally, I am not opposed to a modern Age of Empires IV covering the late 19th Century, and 20th Century, even the early 21st Century we are living in. But I can see the appeal of going back to a previous era and I would not be in favor of a “future history” Age of Empires since those tend to age very badly later down the line.

If the new game is to go back in the timeline instead of foward, then I’d like to see a take on the Ancient World, including the “barbaric” cultures such as the Celtic and Germanic peoples as well as other civilizations underrepresented in Age of Empires I such as the Israelites, ancient Indian civilizations (Mauryan Empire, etc.) and the like.

Plus, it would be cool to see the other empires get more accurate architecture (even if it’s just their Wonder)

4 Likes

I think if AoE 4 wants to have success it must be in the medival. All people i know like AoE 2 because of medival setting and they dislike AoE 3. Think about successfull games. Starcraft 2 is in the same time as starcraft 1. Same for Warcraft 1 to 3. Only grafic, handling get better and some new units. This is what would work for AoE 4. Take AoE 2 as a foundation. implement attack move etc., improve unit control and add new units that improve gameplay. all this will make AoE 4 a good game. Also dont forget Ladders and Tournaments big part for community. - But because relic entertainment is doing AoE 4 it will be in 19 Century or later and not interesting for me. Also never seen any good rts from them.

1 Like

If AoE4 is going to be in medival era, why would they make definitive editions?

5 Likes

Why would they make SC2 when we already have SC1?

5 Likes

There is no such thing called “empire" in 19th century.

3 Likes

I said 19th Century or later. I can think of a setting: starting technolgy of 19th Century, rise of PreuĂźen with technology adventure in behind loader guns, next Age 20th Century with World War 1 and 2. Etc.

They made SC2 because new grafic, better unit control and makros, new units. And result is I enjoy SC 2 more then SC 1.

1 Like

Why would they make SC2 when we already have SC1?

Perfect answer :blush:

2 Likes

I posted this before the big E3 reveal, and honestly didn’t think the AoE II DE would be so expansive. But since they are including all of the Forgotten empires content plus new civs, it makes less sense for AoE IV to go Medieval than it would have if the remaster only included the original game.

Still, I just can’t envision an AoE game set in the 20th century. It completely changes the nature of the economics as well as combat. The Empires had all collapsed by 1918 anyway!

2 Likes