Why AoE IV should return to the Medieval Era

Does not matter. In any case, the tribes (minor civilizations), they existed and conquered their space and even defeated great civilizations … in short, this does not detract from its existence, culture and achievements.

Even AoE2 has minor civilizations / “tribes”.

AoE is focused on history, so they can tell us any event that has occurred throughout history and add to the game. There are several games that do this and AoE is no different.

1 Like

Now where is radiating blade lurking around???

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Halo Wars was about to be a World War AoE game until Microsoft pushed Ensemble into a Halo game, they did a pretty good job either way. I remember that AoE3 art book back in the day, that had a WW2 GI under the ‘IV’ and a space marine-lookin dude under ‘V’ and was all excited for them.

1 Like

This is an excellent idea. A proper remake of AOE1. The DE didn’t add anything and was full of bugs albeit with nicer graphics. Civilisations that ought to be added.

Nubians, Indians, Elamites, Lydians/Phrygians, Mitanni, Germans, Britons, Gauls, Iberians, Scythians, Xiongnu, Hebrews and maybe the Armenians.

3 Likes

No airplanes and bombing plz!

Keep it an Age of Empires!

1 Like

Medieval era hands down… brings back players of the old and creates new content for the younger generation. Easier to expand upon while creating an up-to-date rts similar to the leading game in the genre now - SC2. expand on story lines in campaign mode while creating a more polished game play with modern graphics and textures.

1 Like

I would love a Medieval setting again

I’d love to see them going back to Ancient times or Medieval times as for me those two time periods is what made AoE 1 & 2 this famous in the first place.

AoE 3 didn’t do it for me with that time period, and making a game based around WW2 area would totally destroy what AoE really is about.

4 Likes

Yeah that is true. But I don’t trust gaming trends that much. They grown and fall, just like an Empire. GoT is more fit for LotR RTS games, I can’t see how you can make an fantasy RTS game with normal AoE formula (AoM 2 can pull it off and so can modded AOE) + gaming market is always craving for world war stuff. In fact, (and I hope I don’t offend anyone) look at the current Battlefields and WW call of duty games, they’re are so far from the history maybe it would take an actual history teaching rts game like AoE. CoH is probably the only game I can think of, but it wasn’t 100% either. At the end, I don’t know. I would play next AoE game regardless. But they can take the game anywhere, boundless possibilities. Relic has mastery in WW stuff, so they can use this franchise as their advantage…???

Right here.

It was pure speculation on the part of the artist and never the plan that Age of Empires would go any further forward in time than the time period of Age of Empires III.

4 Likes

because AoE 1 DE is a remaster not a remake.

For which art book are you talking about guys? I have one too but it looks a bit different from what you’re describing :grin:

3 Likes

the book art was that… An book art from a great closed stdio, rip Esemble Studios.

Because we get AoE V.

ooppss what is that???

1 Like

I guess that it is the wish of many people out there.

This is the main reason I don’t understand the crowd that wants WW1 era.

I think there are competing interests for a new Age game, and those in favour of basically leaving all core gameplay mechanics alone are in favour of a change in era and scenery so that the game doesn’t feel like an AoE2 clone or reskin. I think this reveals a lack of imagination.

Fans of the medieval era are, in my opinion, more open to gameplay changes to modernize the game in both look and feel without straying from the era that defined the most popular game in the series by far.

My biggest gripe with the colonial and post-colonial era’s is that you heavily restrict the flavour of the game. How do you realistically have the Indians, Mayans, Aztec, Inca, Chinese, or any African kingdoms in the game? You would forego historical credibility by introducing them into the game.

I think the wisest course of action is to create a well-balanced, modern gameplay/graphical game that still retains the “feel” of previous games in the series. I have no reservations with Relic taking some liberties with the gameplay if it serves to appeal either to a wider audience or makes for more compelling gameplay.

Age of Empires is about army composition, scouting opponents, countering enemy forces, defending and managing your economy, and researching the techs efficiently that will help propel your civilization above others. Villager management and base design are core, the age up mechanic is core, subtle civilization perks is core. There are many things that are important to an AoE game, I just really cannot imagine a WW1 era game being very interesting.

Also, if Relic really wanted to do a WW1 game, why wouldn’t they have made another Company of Heroes? It seems a bit of a shame to take the single best historical/medieval franchise and shift the era to compete alongside so many other RTS games…

3 Likes

Totally agree with you

Unfortunately all decisions fans would make don’t matter. Microsoft and relic are the ones deciding without any fan based input…

Adam Isgreen at E3 2019 said that there is a community council for each Age game in development. This means that Microsoft is indeed looking for feedback from Age fans.

4 Likes

Which is great, but they have been working on aoe4 since 2016. Right now about 50% wants aoe to stay in the less recent past (no tanks etc) and about 50% wants 20th century warfare. They probably can’t please everyone i guess.

1 Like