Why do units look like they are made of Plastic or Clay?

oh boy, you wouldnt want to see how a mobile rts looks in regards to gameplay xD

4k texture pack DLC still won’t make textures look less flat and also won’t make metal look like metal.

So, If that’s what someone is expecting from a 4k Texture pack, they’ll be pretty disappointed, lol

Only a texture overhaul would do that, well
 a material overhaul to be more precise.

Well, technically you could name it “4k Texture Pack DLC” for simplicity’s sake, but for things to look better than “clay/rubber/plastic” you will need more than just higher res. textures.

1 Like

4k textures may at least change the flatness you seem to see.
it would be possible for them to have more metally metal, but that indeed is unlikely.

however of course a 4k texture pack will only increase resolution. But at leats that also means more crisp images.

I wouldn’t be against ofc, but I would prefer if they tuned the materials/shaders to be more realistic.

It wouldn’t even change the artstyle, it would just make things that are supposed to shine, actually shine.

4k tex simply won’t solve the main problem with the graphics and most games that have mod support have high res packs because that’s one of the first things modders do.

1 Like

I would say this looks better in several ways actually. The central asian building is more detailed and sharp than aoe4’s chinese ones. I see something made with a lot of care and attention to even the smallest thing here. And despite that this building is also painted with several distinct colors, red, green, black, white, its colors are natural and match well together unlike in aoe4.
The proportions are also way better here.

Funny that you mentioned that just 12 days ago. You may want to check this out. Their lead is now working solely on mobile games.

1 Like

but the shiny part wouldnt be a high res. that I am still sure will come from MS.

However a shiny metal mod will surely be available as soon as modding is^^

Well it’s not really that simple.

To make something that isn’t shiny shine, you need to alter the properties of the material, which modding tools don’t usually allow.

And it is even less probable that you’ll be able to make reflective materials too.

Modding tools will, very probably, only let us change textures which will not fix the lack of reflections.

Unless they allow us to unpack the game’s files so we can edit the materials from the models in a software like Maya or Blender and then repackage them into a mod.

And then you might run into compatibility problems with the new materials you created depending on which tool you used to create them and how/if the AoE4 engine will be able to read them correctly.

So
 yeah, even IF they give us all that modding freedom and tools it will take much more work than a simple texture mod.

If I had to bet i’d say the modding support won’t be enough to fix the lack of shine/reflections.

2 Likes

However since whole units were ablt eo be changed in Age 2, I am sure that will be possible aswell.
Maybe it wont be a beautiful reflection, but from what I gathered about texturing, you can also implement shinyness in a simple 2 D texture, baked in, although of course it wont be as pretty.

In either way, guess we will have to wait and see. Either if they changed that or if modders will be able to :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if it would cost another 10.

Yes, we’ll have to wait and see.

Let’s hope the modding is really open and allows for all of that.

2 Likes

We shouldn’t leave to modders the hard challenge to fix what Is not good, imho.

10 Likes

well, its good for most ppl, albeit they wouldnt mind a change. However only few are actively complaining. So its not really MS job to change this, unless they decide its worth it. And if its not, then either modders will do it because they personally dislike the type of art used, or nboone will.

Civ 6 has a ‘cartoony’ look. Why? So it can look good on tv’s when played on a console.

Are they thinking of a console version of AOE4? Would explain some things like the cartoony graphics.

1 Like

not at the moment, no. But tehy do orient themselfs on 3 things.
a) a colorful depiction of medieval ages, as was the main guidance in age 2
b) A documentation style UI / campaign setting
c) Colorful was translated into making it look like a painting. WHich sinst realistic, and what we see as graphics now. “Cartoony” does it a bit unjust I think, but its the easiest word to use to explain it.

Only the environment textures are “paint-like”. The rest is just clay looking and lacking detailed textures, unlike AoE2.

1 Like

I dont agree with that. Look at the castle shots with the cliff from that one shot. Or the french cavalry charge. I think it has a paint-y feeling.
Especially the castles, on units I dont see it as much, but then again, I didnt focus on them while watching.

thats just my personal opinion though.

1 Like

This is so true. (20 chars)