Why does the Korean wood bonus not apply to Siege Weapons?

Portuguese bombard cannons already exist

Lol no. It would make them better at what they are already good at but not OP at all.

4 Likes

The Koreans also lack siege ram and heavy scorpions so that would still be something the Slavs have over them.

1 Like

Except for Fishing Ship. Otherwise they would be cheaper than the Italian ones.

1 Like

Fair. I should have said ‘all military units’.

1 Like

Then I would agree, yes :slight_smile:

So does Koreans

Honestly BBT is that matter in most case?
All civ has unique strength in their tech tree. Ethiopians are only civ has full seige tech tree. Teutons are only civ access to all 3 rarest tech (Paladin, Seige Onager, BBT).

Hugely disagree here. Teutons are definitely one of the best seige civ. Ironclad is really helpful for your seige not sniped by hussar or halbs. also it benefit All seige workshop unit. Koreans Sinkichon is almost useless for another 800W 500G for improve only Onager which also need huge investment of upgrade cost.
Onager slaughter any archer or slow infantry regardless of +1 range, and still be sniped by BBC by 2-3range disadvantage. It only helpful when you fight Onager vs Onager which is only happen in BF TG.
I do prefer Teutons, Mongols Seige Onager over Korean Seige Onager.

Portuguese gold discount on seige unit already make Italians, Slavs discount irrelevant in that logic.

Even if your argument of Koreans become 3rd best BBC civ is correct (but Italians BBC is cheaper and Burgundians BBC can one shot seige onager with bonus damage), why you opposing to buff Koreans BBC which is nowhere close to Turks/Bohemians level?

Turks/Bohemians gunpowder are too easy to tech/too strong while other gunpowder civ’s bonus seems minor. I think artillery cost increase / Houfnice nerf (or missing Seige engineer for Bohemians ) are needed. But it is strange to insist just wood discount of BBC will be OP while there are clearly outclassing OP civ exist.

1 Like

Depends. Useful to have. Offers decent protection against raids, uses less space (and less stone to build than a Castle).

That’s true.

Iron clad is decent, not great. If your siege is being surrounded by melee units, it’s already over for them. Iron Clad with Siege ram would be strong… because it’s not a ranged Siege unit.

It is expensive, yes.

Celts / Mongols are top tier.

Yes, in a way. However, Portuguese don’t have hard hitting siege like Siege Onagers or Siege Rams. Decent Cannons, that’s it. Same can be said about Italians. Italians lack Siege Engineers.

Koreans have Siege Onagers with two decent bonuses too.

You have a point there. Italians and Burgundians lack Siege Engineers. I don’t oppose buffing Koreans. I just feel they might get OP. I actually play the Koreans at times. Their Gunpowder is good enough to compete with actual Gunpowder civilizations.

100% agreed.

They even nerfed the Cannon Galleon projectile speed and Conquistador (making it count as a cav archer).

True or the Houfnice splash damage can be nerfed.

Mate, it’s not only the cost that makes their bombard cannons better. It’s everything as a whole which is making the Koreans seem more and more like a Gunpowder civilization. Maybe they could give Koreans the ‘Gunpowder and Naval civilization’ tag. They even have a Gunpowder unique unit… albeit a non-Castle one.

I just feel you’ll get a civilization with strong Bombard Cannons and strong Siege Onagers.

It is definitely great. There is not always siege are protected / or completely surrounded. You cannot snipe ALL hussar/cavarly running to seige by halbs. It increase the survivability in a decent margin.

Celts / Teutons / Mongols are TOP3, Koreans are TOP4-5 along with Ethiopians

Teutons / Ethiopians also access to both Seige Onager / BBC with decent UT too.

That is fair argument when comparing with Italians/ Portuguese, but those two civ have generally more flexible tech tree such as average Cavalry/ top-tier monks. It is more fair to compare with Ethiopians and Koreans (Bad monks, bad cavalry)

I also think that bonus of seige wood discount would be strong, especially early castle mangonel push. It should be along with wood discount down to 15% from 20% and/or increase wood cost of WW a little. But I don’t think wood discount will be that strong in late game.

That it does.

Wait… you put Teutons as #2 for Siege? Really?

The Teutonic one is nothing HUGE. Torsion engines is awesome, though.

Ok. Makes sense. I was comparing the way I did because of the resource saving bonus but ok… yeah… Italians have everything in the monastery except Heresy. Portuguese got it all except illumination (but have -20% gold cost for all units).

Italians have hussar and cavalier. Portuguese have light cav and discounted knights.

I totally agree… that was one of my concerns. A wood discount is more powerful than a gold discount especially in the early game because wood is used for practically everything.

How about wood discount is brought down to 15% but is brought to 20% in the imperial age.

It’s more of an early game buff when you’re building your economy. Wood discount would mean something substantial only in late game islands or team islands kind of maps… but then again, in those maps… the ships benefit from the already existing wood discount.

what about if it only didn’t apply to Siege workshop units might seem insignificant but at least it affects your trebs now