Why is my ping so high?

I don’t understand why I’ve got high ping - 239 at the moment.

My PC is very much capable of running it at high settings.
My internet is ultrafast and I have zero issue with using it for anything else.
I have opened all ports that are suggested.

Why is it so high?

1 Like

Goddamn, this forum is fucking useless.

1 Like

Yeah bro. It looked quiet and I only bothered to sign up today. I just posted my own ping question because I’m in New Zealand and I have to connect to players in Europe if I play a game like AoE or Halo Wars 2, and I cannot queue units because the 500 or 2000 ping or whatever I’m getting. I queue 3 units then I wait 2 seconds to see if the game responded and actually did the thing that I pressed the button for.

I regularly play War Thunder at 239 ping and often get good scores because other players suffer from poor skill. It isn’t ideal but I’d beg for 250 average ping on the games that I play on Xbox. Usually it’s double or triple that lmfao, living at the bottom of the world is hopeless. I’d love to play the AoE games online but it’d probably be a disaster and I’d end up disappointed.

As I wrote in my own thread, ping can be really high if you’re connecting to a host player who has a trash modem and a bad ISP. Also if you’re connected to players in another region. There is simply no way to tell. The only good multiplayer games for me, are free-to-play, because they use real servers in a datacentre, instead of pushing the load onto whatever trash hardware the host player has. I doubt AoE has dedicated servers… they probably assume everyone is in North America or Europe. So how do you know what you’re even connecting to? It’s a mystery. If the other players don’t speak the same language, I can’t ask them for their location!

There is no transparency with these game companies, and most of their customers don’t understand the basics of technology. I spent $160 USD on a TP Link Archer modem, which improved War Thunder connection stability, but most games are still giving me slow connection warnings, ya, on fibre broadband with a new $160 USD modem. That’s why I play single player almost exclusively.