Why is the ELO spread so bloody wide?!

Yeah matchmaking in this game is just awful lol.

I gotta say that this is ridiculous.

I waited for 5mins and was too lazy to check the elos of players but after the game when I basically soloed 2v2 match I checked. (Im +1500 rn and highest I’ve been is +1600)

My ally: +1100
Enemy 1: 1091
Enemy 2: No results found

My ally and enemy team had in total less than 100 games played while Im somewhere around +1300 games.

The one who made this change is pure genius and should receive noble peace price for his or her contribution to society.

Why do I feel that the time has not decreased, and I still wait 1-2 minutes. same as before,

Games played with FL do not count.

ELO used to measure your skills, not the number of games(even 10k did not measure you skills)

If other players is in the group their avg ELO will be same as you + 1100.

Dodging and blaming the game. nice job. Dodging to farm free puntos on easy win.

Thank you for your insight. Just like always your arguments are not good and here is why

Irrelevant

This is partly true but not whole truth. Someone might have good skills but be paired with leavers those resulting worse elo that they deserve. Especially when match count is low.

How many games is played do matter, but you’re right player with less games could be better than player with more games but it goes other way too. Its more likely that player who has less games is also less skilled.

Sure thing buddy sure thing. Believe what you want =) Didn’t you once tell me that once FL were nerffed I would drop down in elo? Yet still here Im. Relatively high ranking.

cuz they don’t have enough players to sustain a healthy ranked system. isnt that obvious?

1400 got a few games vs Viper, dafug?

Warcraft III Champions does not have this matchmaking issue and it runs 2k player per day (approx 3.500 solo games per day). AoE has x9 time that player base (steam data). That is still bad as x9 on a very small figure is really bad and Reforged is the worst game that has ever been produced. But it is not an argument for not having a functional matchmaking.

The logic is simple: The game is bleeding players, so they’ve had to expand the set you can match with so that you are not sitting there for 10 minutes to find a game. During most times of the day there are only ~8000 players online globally, which then gets limited further by your region, timezone, and ELO. Since they can’t control region and timezone, they adjusted ELO matching.

3 Likes

This kind of change normally happens when population doesn’t sustain quick matches

The players on Warcraft III Champions are active 1v1 players, the players in AOE4 are not, it’s very common to have only dozens of players searching for 1v1 game at the same time in one region thus the queue time is most likely 10+ minutes once your ELO reach a certain point.

they don’t want people to see their AOE4 streamer spend 10 minutes in a ranked queue, it looks bad.

2 Likes

It is especially bad if they streamer isn’t an experienced entertainer alongside being a strong player.

1 Like

I don’t understand this correctly or the logic is not correct. AoE 4 has about 9 times the active (being online) player pool (going from steam data) relative to warcraft 3 champions. I simply do not see how queues for AoE would be longer than for Warcraft 3. The only reason I can find is that (a) warcraft 3 games are shorter on average, which they are, but not to the factor 9 extend at all or (b) AoE 4 players are online but for some reason simply do not enter the queue.

I can’t imagine the latter but it seems to be at the core of what you are saying: AoE players are not searching games while Wc3 players are. So what do AoE players do in between games that is soaking up hours and hours a day in between games before requeuing?

1 Like

What is so hard to understand? 90% or even more of the online AOE4 players are not playing 1v1 thus only dozens of players are searching for 1v1 game at any given time in one region no matter their elos. unlike W3Champion where most players were actively playing 1v1.

the coming ranked season is with fewer and fewer player counts, they don’t want people to see streamers waiting in the queue of a ranked 1v1 game for 15 - 20 minutes so they must widen the elo range.

it took me 5 - 10 minutes in the first month of the game in NA region (while 35K+ players are online) to get an opponent in 1v1 and my Elo was about 1400. if it was a water map, 90% of the chance the opponent is gonna leave and 90% of the time I am gonna meet with the same guy again.

yeah so instead of hotfixing whats causing the community to ‘be missing’ - they ruin the rest of everyone elses experience. what kinda nutter is making these calls.

hot fix the bloody issues so people return to the game genuinely and authentically, instead of saving face… this is what blizzard does, and we saw what happened to them.

the game is so good, so much potential, but some dumb decisions being made early on - where the community is formed… >.< sigh

even viper, the aoe king, isn’t playing it …

What do you base on that 90% “or more” of the games are not 1on1 games? That feels like a gut feeling and hence unreliable. I don’t have these stats for AoE but going by the leaderboards there are more entries for 1on1 than for 4on4. Although I can’t be bothered to sample from 1k pages to estimate average amount of games per page.

Also you vastly overestimate how popular 1on1 is on W3; about 55% of the people play 1on1 games. You make it seem like it is 90% “or more”. Simply not true. And W3C is made for competition so will have an overrepresentation of 1on1 games to the total player pool but that total pool is unknown.

I’m not sure it’s worth anything, but I checked the latter numbers for the top 100 1 vs 1 players by games played and found they played 85,460; 2v2/3v3/4v4 were about half that each.

It’d be nice if somebody could make a ladder activity pie chart or something for how many games were registered per mode daily.

They have :slight_smile:

Err well, not daily, but maybe you could request if he would do a daily count.

The stats aren’t quite specific enough at the moment. :confused: Even with the data explorer.

Yee I went back and looked through them and realized that, he seems receptive to requests on that post I linked tho