Why is the game unavailable to Win 8 now?

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: ######
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 8

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

My system is Windows 8.1. It maybe old, but still properly funtioning. I heard players from win7-win8 no longer have the access to the game. I want to know why?

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!
after yesterday’s update.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. start the game
  2. the game cannot run
    3.over

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Let me play it again or I will be pissed.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

It simply cannot be started from steam.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe3Ysav) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe3Yrec) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

It costs money to test and maintain any program for any older operating system.

I can’t blame them for not supporting OS’s forever. A PC with that OS is so old it probably doesn’t have the hardware to run the game right anyway.

Do you know I just bought this game, like 15 days ago?

Doesnt change the fact, that the minimum requirements of the game clearly state " WINDOWS 10 64 BIT "
^^ So, no matter when you bought the game, it had that since the release of it.

3 Likes

Why on earth would you ever use Win8 to play Age III DE?
The entire OS is deprecated, no manager/developer makes sure his software runs on that.

1 Like

This problem seems to be affecting a lot of people: The game just won't launch :: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition General Discussions
The steam page states that the game needs Win10, but I still think it would have been to give notice to users of other OSs that could play until yesterday so they could take some measures.

1 Like

they dont test the game on old OS, why would they?

1 Like

Now you can buy a PC to run it on.

To be nice and give some time :grin: Although maybe they are not aware that some change they made disabled the game for older OSs

Exactly theys didnt know, because they didnt test. Nor did anyone on the PUP use WIN 8 or 7.

With windows 8 you can upgrade to windows 10 with the same licence key (worked for me at least), so is that not an option?

You’re right, it seems there’s no other options. I have to spend quite some time to transport the data from my computer and give this piece of crap an update which I was not intended to do so now.

Hi guys!

Thank you for your report. We apologise for the inconvenience, we are already tracking this issue!

2 Likes

BTW according to Steam hardware survey:
Windows 8.1 64 bit 0.77%

Why would anyone want to support it? :confused:
And that’s machines with Steam installed, even fewer people regularly play on them.