Why not give Haudenosaunee a wolf?

There are wolves in the picture, right?

1 Like

Wolf, Coyote, and Jaguar are offensive. Cougar is not.

2 Likes

All civ should have something age 1 imo. Playing brit or german is boring the first 4 min and i am not talking about ottoā€¦

1 Like

10/10 is a racist trope. It perpetuates the idea that Natives were supernaturally peaceful with the wilds or some sh*t.
Like no. We hunted as much as we needed and we ran from bears like a white person did. We didnā€™t randomly tame wolves, although raising a baby coyote that you found out in the woods randomly probably wasnā€™t out of the question.
But it still perpetuates the Noble Savage stereotype, which is something that needs to be squashed.

6 Likes

Good point, the picture is from the original game and should probably be updated to reflect the current state of it.

That is where dogs came from, but wolves instead of coyotes, and Siberia instead of America.

I do agree with what you said. Nat-Ams were not D&D druids and rangers.

1 Like

Can someone inform me what a racist trope is and whatā€™s wrong with wolves?

A racist trope is a stereotypical depiction or belief about a group of people based on their ethnicity, reducing them to just a caricature of their race. For example the common depiction of Native Americans as magical nature people who can talk to animals and/or trees, speak in partial sentences with no grammar, and provide wise words of wisdom and magical healing. Or African Americans subsiding on a diet of watermelons and chicken wings. Lots of stuff with Asian mysticism, or Africans living in mud huts. Or if you want Irish being angry and drunk, Russians being violent gangster who only drink vodka, Italians always having connections to the mob, etc.

Instead of, you know, being actual full human beings with likes, dislikes, and no magical wisdom or abilities. The issue being perpetuating the notion of these people being Others, different than ā€œnormalā€ humans.

There is nothing inherently wrong with wolves. But there is something wrong with using exactly the same kind of visual language and tropes thatā€™s been used against Native Americans for centuries. (See Pocahontas, Supernatural, Buffy, The Last of the Mohicans, Walker, Texas Ranger, The X-Files, Twilight, the list goes on and on.)

1 Like

I see no issue with this, and Iā€™m extremely proud of my Native decent.

Iā€™m the real thing
I just need my flatcap, then iā€™m all set.

Yes, and Slavs.

Pocahontas was awesome, and Iā€™ve never heard of any of the rest.

Honestly none of what you said ā€˜triggersā€™ me in anyway and I have no idea how it does to other people.

2 Likes

there is acard that allows warcheief train wolfs

The tribes have issues with this, which they conveyed through their Sichangu cultural advisor when the Definitive Edition was in creation.

As a Lakota, I agree. I am not Sichangu (I am Oglala) but I wholeheartedly agree with the understanding that perpetuating racist tropes is a bad thing.

2 Likes

Did they consult more than 4 natives?

2 Likes

Darth, just because you personally donā€™t find it offensive doesnā€™t mean other people donā€™t. Something can be bad without it affecting you individually. This is clearly an issue that is affecting people negatively, as stated several times. Isnā€™t that enough?

Well I havenā€™t seen any surveys from AoE about what different native peoples thought of the game.

Have you?

1 Like

Haude should start with tuktukutuk instead of animals :innocent:

If native americans in the U.S.A. do not like pets, then do not have them. But Nahuas and Mexicans do not mind jaguars. Taking away the Nature friendship and the jaguars from the aztecs is nonsense.

1 Like